Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

How to get to grease zerk on this axle?

This is a pic of one of my wheels on my 2019 25RQ. Notice the hub that covers the end of the axle. This is a Dexter E-Z Lub axle.

How does a person get to the zert on the end of the spindle in order to squirt grease into it? It looks to me like either the Alloy ION medallion should be pryed off or the entire cap comes off. If so, which is it, if either? I sure hope I don't have to take the entire wheel off to get that cap off. If the entire cap comes off how best to do so?

I just want to spin the tire and maybe squirt a bit of grease into the axle. I don't want to take the bearing out and pack by hand at this time, just access the axle zert.

Sorry folks. I am trying to add a pic of the wheel. I will keep trying.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

No pic...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

On my Alco type, you remove the wheels hub cap and the rubber plug in the cap.....
Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #4

Hopefully a pic of the wheel is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	253586  
Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

No screw holding hub cap on?......if not, beings how this is your first time, I'd take one wheel off and look at the backside to see if the center emblem pops off
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Thanks Bob. I was hoping I would not have to do that!
Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #7

Tomorrow call the wheel manufacturer and ask...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #8

Yup, most of the time the spot where your Ion insert is located is a removable cap. Mine just pries off. Then there is a rubber cap under it.
Good luck.

Remember, it is best to squirt your grease SLOWLY with a manual grease gun. You should be spinning the wheel while you are adding the grease, so the tire needs to be off the ground.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #9

Bob, I went to the ION website, there is no phone number. They do not sell to the public. I did send them an email. Thank you.

SailorSam, I may just try to payoff the center medallion but it fits so tight I sure hope I don't mess it up. I will try a plastic pryer first. I will send an email to the trailer mfg and see what they say. Thank you for the advise on slowly spinning the wheel when putting in grease.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #10

Looks to me to be a real good time to learn what you need to change a tire. Much better than in the dark, rain with traffic wizzing past...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #11

WHEN you do pull the wheel off the spindle be sure to replace the OEM the seal with a “double lip seal with a garter spring” They are much better than the single lip seal used as OEM.

Your bearing/seal supplier will have the cross reference for the correct part numbers.

Be sure to clean up the area of the spindle that the seal comes in contact with.

X2 on pumping SLOWLY while rotating the wheel!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #12

I emailed Big Foot Industries. Grant, CEO, stated that the ION wheel has to be taken off to access the grease zert on the Dexter E-Z lube axle. This seems asinine and unreasonable to me. This is a new trailer. When I have to replace the tires I may just also replace the wheels and buy a type that allows access to the grease zert without taking off the wheel. What a pain in the butt.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You probably can buy new center covers with the pop out centers rather than new wheels!! Whole lot cheaper, and pretty sure that the center hole diameter is universal.
Then again, maybe new wheels may be what you want!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:44 AM   #14

Thanks Tuquala, I will research the center cover replacement idea. I really don't want the expensive of buying new wheels, especially since this is a new rig. Did not know this was possible.