Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDogYVR View Post
At this level of infrequency, I'd be questioning whether owning is truly the right solution for you versus renting. Of course, if you are looking to get out only on the busiest weekends of the year when rentals aren't generally available, it's a no-brainer.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of us have had less-than-stellar "out of the box" experiences with our units: mine took 3 months to work out the kinks (some of which involved me towing the trailer 100 miles out to the middle of nowhere only to turn right back around because a major system had failed) before we could truly enjoy the trailer. We estimate between 5-8 thousand dollars in warranty work so far 7 months in.

I work 4-on, 4-off and on days off we get out 2-4 days during the nice weather and usually 1-3 days every second rotation even in the cold and wet. Financially it was in our best interest to buy, plus packing once and then just throwing clean clothes and linens in and fresh food before heading out.

Are you pulling a travel trailer or driving a motorhome? That's a lot of warranty work for a trailer.
Beach324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #58

My wife and I have gone to the shows, taken pictures of the invoices, gathered brochures, tried the beds, stepped into the showers, sat on the toilets, and measure the spaces. We then go home and make a list of the plusses and minuses for each rig that we are interested in. Then we research that rig and find the closest dealer and visit them.
captjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #59

Last RV show DH and I went to, we spent more time in some building looking over all the goodies marketed to campers We have tried "playing house" in an RV we were interested once, but there were a bunch of youngsters running all over the camper and it wasn't really big enough for the crowd. We still learned a few things.

I have several units I've narrowed down that might be good fits for us. I'd love to see those in real life, but if all we get is a chance to check out some brands for quality build (fit and finish) and maybe research some floorplans we haven't been interested before...Know one thing...no more beds where one has to climb over the other to exit the bed! And more kitchen counter space!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #60

Newbie - rent first

If you are new to RVing, or a specific category (e.g. trailer vs. motor home), I always recommend renting the type of unit you want, and try it for at least a long weekend. This will help you decide what features are a priority for you. For us, it is a walk around bed, larger and efficient kitchen, TV that is visible without having to turn more than 45 degrees, tall enough shower for a 6' 2" guy, heat pump H/AC, full body paint, adequate lavatory counter space, bedroom wardrobe and drawer space for extended travel, lots of storage space, convenient access to water, sewer, and electric connections, and power levelers. Also establish a firm RV budget that includes, purchase price, aftermarket upgrades, insurance, routine maintenance, and storage, if applicable. Furthermore, buying a used late model RV is usually a better value than buying new. Let the first buyer get the 'bugs' out of it, and save an additional 25%. If the unit is more than three years old, have it checked by a qualified RV technician before buying. Ask to see the maintenance records. A well maintained unit with 40K miles is often a better value than one with 20K miles that has only been in the RV shop when something breaks.

Rob
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
You won’t be able to tow a very big trailer with your pathfinder. Unless you are on flat ground all the time, I would get a full sized to vehicle. Or at least you should watch the Youtube videos of people towing and crashing trailers because their tow vehicle isn’t big enough or weigh enough to safely tow a trailer.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #62

Beach,
Lordy Lordy stop don't do it.
You will get skinned, fried and tattooed by a slick sales person that will focus on the monthly payment and not the total cost. They will stretch out those payments to twice the expected life of the RV. You will be wowed by all the fancy dodads and trim and blinded the quality of the construction.

Step back and use the internet to look at used RVs of the general type you are interested in. RV Trader is one such site. Check out the layouts and how people are using them. Narrow down the manufactures that have strong reputations for quality and durability. Check out the owners forums on iRV2 for input from current owners.

Then focus on one or two manufactures and really check out the prices on the used market to get an idea of how much your proposed new coach will be worth as resale value in 1, 3, 5 years. Now you are ready to negotiate with a seller be it a dealer or the owner of a gently used RV that is in top condition.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #63

When checking out trailers, another thought is actually visiting a campground and ask questions. Before we bought our R-pod 4 years ago, we'd slowly drive through the CG loops and if there was a trailer we were interested in, sometimes the owners were there and would invite us in for a tour. Now we're giving the tours. I've read a lot of good advice; tank size, bed decisions, layout, etc. If you can rent something and try it out before you buy, that will help!
Mamajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you start looking.
Make a couple of lists. These are big items, not little nic-nacky kinds of things.
1) List the things you absolutely don't want. Ie., passenger doorway, back bathroom.
2) List the things you absolutely do want. Ie., Kitchen counter space, bunk beds.
Then do not look at anything that doesn't have your "I want these" features.