Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

How to Remove Decal Stickum?

Twelve years of high altitude New Mexico sun has destroyed the trailer decals. They're mostly gone, but the adhesive remains. I just want to remove everything, go without decals but with a clean appearance.

Has anyone had success removing the adhesive? I tried "Orange Goop" and "Goo Begone". Both removed just a little bit, but not a good job. A pressure washer knocked off the decals, but doesn't touch the adhesive.

Thank you, All!
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try some mineral spirits, it will take a bit of elbow grease but it wont damage the fiberglass.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

I've had good results with the old standby, WD-40. A little heat from a heat gun or hair dryer can also help.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #4

Don't hate me for saying this... Gasoline will take it off. Wear gloves and buy some orange citrus cleaner to clean up with.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #5

Heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue, and use duct tape to pull the adhesive off often works. Solvents tend to just smear the adhesive in my experience and make the duct tape less effective.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
Don't hate me for saying this... Gasoline will take it off. Wear gloves and buy some orange citrus cleaner to clean up with.
I would try gasoline too.

Just read where a guy was trying to take off his 3M masking on the front of his motorhome and gasoline did the trick.

For sure I would try just a small space first.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I would try gasoline too.

Just read where a guy was trying to take off his 3M masking on the front of his motorhome and gasoline did the trick.

For sure I would try just a small space first.
Would probably work. If I tried this, I would then wash well, probably with Dawn, rinse very well and then put on a new coat of a good wax.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #8

I've found the "3M Eraser Wheel" will remove the decal and adhesive without damage to the surface . Including paint , gelcoat , or plastic .
Can be purchased at NAPA or most any auto parts store .
Just chuck it in your drill . It works great , just creates a lot of eraser shavings to clean up.
No chemicals or gasoline involved . Much better for you and the environment.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:06 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I've found the "3M Eraser Wheel" will remove the decal and adhesive without damage to the surface . Including paint , gelcoat , or plastic .
Can be purchased at NAPA or most any auto parts store .
Just chuck it in your drill . It works great , just creates a lot of eraser shavings to clean up.
No chemicals or gasoline involved . Much better for you and the environment.
I never heard of these, but the reviews sound great.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:16 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've tried everything to remove the adhesive, I always came back to "Rapid Remover". Its a little pricey, but it works.

I repainted my Southwind a couple years ago, I removed all the old graphics, some with razor, some with heat, some with the eraser. it depended on the condition of the graphic as to which was the fastest, easiest way to remove it (and the adhesive).

You can read my summary for the paint job here:

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
3m wheels will do the job but get expensive. Goo gone by brand name is also expensive but Xylene is the base for it and is cheap. Mineral Spirits will also do but takes a lot of elbow grease. If you use a heat gun and a plastic scraper it will help and won't leave as much residue just be patient and don't overheat the fiberglass. I would do it one decal at a time to keep it from feeling so overwhelming.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Multi-Pur...IaAq07EALw_wcB
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #13

If it is just the adhesive I would try WD40. I removed my decals with a heat gun and razor blade scraper and go slow. I don't know for sure but you could try de natured alcohol. Probably take a bit of elbow grease.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
3m wheels will do the job but get expensive. Goo gone by brand name is also expensive but Xylene is the base for it and is cheap. Mineral Spirits will also do but takes a lot of elbow grease. If you use a heat gun and a plastic scraper it will help and won't leave as much residue just be patient and don't overheat the fiberglass. I would do it one decal at a time to keep it from feeling so overwhelming.

It's a question of what's your time worth , and how hard do you want to work.

My personal experience is 4 hrs using Goo Gone , Goof Off and De Natured Alcohol with Razor scrapper and removed 4ft of decal and adhesive.

My guy who waxes my boat suggested the 3M Eraser . Removed remaining 10ft of decal and adhesive in 1hr. with eraser .

Time is money . Best money I ever spent. I spent the rest of the day admiring my work .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote