Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #1

How to Sell Travel Trailer

We ordered a fifth wheel the last of May, and is now ready for pickup in Elkhart, IN.. The day the order was placed we started the process of selling our 2009 Heartland 26RKS travel trailer. I posted it on Craigslist but have only gotten about three "real" people of interest. The others seem to be just playing, with silly questions.

I checked with local dealers about consignments, and that too seems like a losing deal on my end. Asking well below the NADA price. I would really like to go to Elkhart with knowing I want be having two RV's parked in my back yard when we return.

Maybe with the economy heading in the south direction it may pay me to just sit on it until things pick up.. I can do that but I really don't want too.

Anyone have any ideas, or experienced the same problem.
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm selling my Damon Challenger. Posted on Craigslist, IRV2 Classifieds, the local paper and parked on the local "resale" lot. I am nearly $30K below NADA and the first 2 weeks were busy (4 people looked and 3 other calls), but the last 6 I had 1 person look at it and he didn't like the color of the inside, with no other calls. If there is a secret to selling I don't have it either ...Phil
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It's probably just the soft resale market due to the economy, I doubt it's anything you're doing wrong.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
GPW

Tried selling mine .... I owe more than it's worth (NADA).... Not even a nibble ... Losing proposition all around...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

your not doing anything wrong, there are a bunch of Rv's on the market, over 4000 on ebay alone plus every RV park has loaded bulliten boards. Have lots of good pictures, a great description, the lowest price you will take for it,the phone will ring
lrgdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
GPW

I'd be extremely happy with just an assumption at this point ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #7

I sold a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind motor home in 17 days last month. I listed it on Craigslist and pulled a no-no by listing it in 2 cities; just changed my description up a bit. I also advertised on RVT.com and paid extra for the featured home page ad. I got responses from both; 3 calls from Craiglist and 2 calls from RVT. Ultimately it sold to somebody that saw it on RVT.com. It was an extremely clean unit, in fact everybody that looked at it made that comment. I listed it for average retail and ended up selling it for low retail. The first person that looked at it offered to buy it but couldn't get financing. I consider myself very fortunate to sell it so quickly and to a buyer that had everything lined up financially. I just purchased a travel trailer from a local dealer and he reiterated that fact.
mevillano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbarb View Post
We ordered a fifth wheel the last of May, and is now ready for pickup in Elkhart, IN.. The day the order was placed we started the process of selling our 2009 Heartland 26RKS travel trailer. I posted it on Craigslist but have only gotten about three "real" people of interest. The others seem to be just playing, with silly questions.

I checked with local dealers about consignments, and that too seems like a losing deal on my end. Asking well below the NADA price. I would really like to go to Elkhart with knowing I want be having two RV's parked in my back yard when we return.

Maybe with the economy heading in the south direction it may pay me to just sit on it until things pick up.. I can do that but I really don't want too.

Anyone have any ideas, or experienced the same problem.
Finally, yesterday evening a friend of ours called and said a friend of his was wanting a travel trailer that was and ultra-lite and could he and his wife come by and look at ours. I said sure. They arrived in about thirty minutes and stayed about 1 hour looking it over. I let my wife pretty much explain all the kitchen and inside details to he and his wife, then he and I went outside for the walk around.

They've only tent camped, and have never had a tt. We started at the front, and I explained how everything worked, (water supply, electrical hook-up, sewage, leveling, etc. etc.). as we make the circuit around unit. Then let the awning down and explained the process of setting up trailer.

When they come to pick it up Tuesday, I will give them a PDI the best way I know how. Also, I told them if they go to a local campground, I will be more than happy to either follow them or meet them there to show how to park, level, remove from truck, make all connections, and how to just kick back and enjoy.

I didn't get exactly what we were wanting for it, but I'd rather fork over a few hundred than lose the sell. They have been looking long enough to know what they wanted to pay and we were about 2300.00 difference in price. We ended up meeting half way. We'll happy with the end result!!!!!

True I've got to pay alittle out of pocket, but at least I won't have two RV's parked at the house when we return from Indiana with our fifth wheel.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the sale. I just listed on a 4th web site and renewed for another month in the resale lot. Hopefully a sale is in my future. I am listed at my loan pay off right now, and like I said in my earlier post, it is $30,000 below NADA.
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyonman View Post
Congrats on the sale. I just listed on a 4th web site and renewed for another month in the resale lot. Hopefully a sale is in my future. I am listed at my loan pay off right now, and like I said in my earlier post, it is $30,000 below NADA.
Hang in there. It will happen!!!!!

Tags
heartland