Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

How to set up Direct TV for TT

New help and guidance on how is the best way to set up Direct TV for our TT. I am a rookie and know nothing about this kind of thing. Any help would be so appreciated.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

You need a directv antenna first of all. You can get a cheap one that you set up outside. Then you have to line it up to a satallite with the help of a device or mobile phone app. Or you can get a dish mounted on the roof. These are more expensive, especially the ones that work while driving. I haven't done it because the dish I want costs $2500 plus install. I can't justify $3000 just to watch HBO. Next you need a directv box. You can use your old one from home. You can tell directv what you're doing or not. You don't need a special rv plan as some people think. A good tip to save money: tell directv you're closing your account. They'll immediately slash your monthly price to keep you as a customer.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

You won't get an HD picture with DirectTv if you're using one of the automatic portable sats that support DirecTv. You can if you buy one of the permanent roof mounted ones like the Winegard Traveler. If you want an HD picture you need to go with Dish network and use one of the sats that works with Dish.
Or you can get a manual adjusting DirecTv dish and try setting it up yourself.
Of course you will then need to buy the matching dish receiver.
I used to have DirecTv but dropped them when we wanted to go the RV sat route. DirecTV wanted me to sign another 2yr agreement if we bought a 2nd receiver for the 5th wheel. I had been a DTV customer for 13yrs. Why should I have to sign a 2yr agreement just to use a receiver for 4-5 months out of the year? I just didn't want to be in a contract again. So I figured if I had to be in another 2yr agreement then I might as well be in one with a dish company that had better RV service.
Dish is super easy to work with. I've had to call 2x to change my address for local channels and they switched it no problem. I can stop n start anytime too.
Plus I have the same programming as before and get to have a nice HD picture on the 5er tv.

I will add though that if you're good at setting up a manual dish then you can use one of your receivers from home for free. That opens up some options when recording as long as you have the right manual DTV dish.
I like the ease of setup with my Winegard Pathway X2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do this all the time. Have a direct tv hd receiver in the house I take out to the trailer, bought a direct tv antenna from ebay for about $145 with a tripod. Note; the new direct tv units are SWM type to receive HD programming, so you need the proper power bricks for them to work. The LNB on the antenna is powered thru this system.
Easy setup once you get the hang of it with the apps available for your mobile phone. Tune to the antenna signal on the tv, wife and I communicate with walkie talkie or phone to get the highest reading by slowly rotating the antenna.
Have fun!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Cumminsfan is completely wrong. You can get hd and you don't need a contract.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Cumminsfan is completely wrong. You can get hd and you don't need a contract.
Name one auto portable sat dish that supports DirecTv in HD.
Only way you can get HD with DirecTv is with a permanent roof mount type sat dish like a Winegard Traveler OR a manual DirecTv dish that you set up on your own.

I never said you had to have a contract to have a dish in your RV. I said DirecTv wanted ME to have a 2yr contract when I wanted to purchase a 2nd receiver from them.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

My son, who used to have my trailer, worked in the oil fields and would stay for extended periods out in the field. He got a used home type dish just like he had on his house. He had 3 receivers in his house so he would just take one with him. He built a base for the dish to sit on and would just tune it in. I think they charge like $5 a month for extra receivers. It worked great. I wouldn't want to lug that big dish around though. Now it'd even work better in the trailer since I upgraded the cable to quad RD 6 from the old 59 cable.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote