RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #1

Hub temps are all close to each other...except after braking?

Hi all,

Just going down the road, all 4 hubs are withing 5 degrees of each other. But after braking, the two on the left are quite a bit hotter than the two on the right.

The two left hubs are around the same temp to each other, but 20-25 degrees hotter than the two on the right (which are also within a few degrees of each other). Nothing over 140 degrees. This is all from braking from around 25-45mph.

I went in and and checked the brakes, bearings, etc. everything seems to be fine. They are Dexter Never-Adjust brakes, so I'm not doing any adjusting in there. Spindle nut not over-tight, no hanging or sticking brake shoes, hub drum spins pretty freely by hand.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

Sounds like one side is getting power, while the other isn't, or poor ground.

hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #3

That could be caused by a lot of things. Could be loaded heavier on that side, breaks could be adjusted tighter.
If it isn’t pulling to one side during breaking I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #4

Although they are 'self adjusting' they do need to be properly set up/initially adjusted

Sounds like left side are tighter then right side brakes
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The side the sun is on always runs 20 degrees hotter on mine. I would not worry about such a small difference. Use the manual trailer break bar to apply some brakes while you drive for a half mile before stopping to check. That should tell you how even they are. Typically they should get hot enough that you would not be able to keep your hand on them. If one is cool enough to keep your hand on but the others are too hot for that then you have found a brake that is not working. First thing to check is the wire going to that wheel.

You can check basic operation by jacking each wheel and pulling the break-away pin to see if you can turn the wheel. Don't leave the pin out though as it will run your battery down rapidly.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #6

To see if power is getting to the brakes hold a compass (no, not your phone) to the wheel and have someone apply the brakes. The needle will move when the magnet energizes. Nobody to help? Pull the emergency lanyard, just remember to put it back in and don't leave it out too long.
This doesn't mean the brake on that wheel is working, it just means that the magnet is getting power and should be applying the brake. Key word should.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies...I know its getting juice because I can hear when my daughter steps the break. Plus, a wrench stuck to the magnet while she was braking as well.