Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #29

I feel I need to also mention that good old plywood will fail if subjected to a leak too. It will just take longer. The key is to avoid leaks. It seems that most users do nothing until something bad happens, then complain and whine about shoddy products, etc. If you're pro-active right up front with preventive maintenance, your OSB constructed and fiberglass insulated travel trailer will last and perform a good, long time.

This is where I mention that my cheap (purchased for $10k brand new) 2004 entry level trailer, which is stick and tin construction with lots of batt insulation, has never had a leak or significant problem. Almost certainly due to a thorough inspection followed by a roll or two of Eternabond and a couple tubes of caulk. On top of that, it requires very little maintenance now, despite living outdoors every day of the year. And it's chock full of all those dreaded pressboard and OSB products.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #30

WOW!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #31

Oh please, there's not a damned thing wrong with wood construction and batt insulation, my Excel is a friggin stick built house on wheels.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #32

Not anything wrong with it until it gets wet. Then what....? I have witnessed this first hand. All RV’s will leak eventually. They use it because it’s cheap.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #33

Buy a Lance and never worry.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Not anything wrong with it until it gets wet. Then what....? I have witnessed this first hand. All RV’s will leak eventually. They use it because it’s cheap.
Why would you say all RVs leak eventually? That's like saying all cars crash eventually.

There's no doubt that most of us RV owners are stuck in a hard spot by less than honorable manufacturers, but we can mitigate the potential problems easy enough IF we put a little effort into it.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
As far as homebuilding goes, OSB is a decent choice, but is not the best choice for roof sheeting. Spruce or fir plywood is far better. It can get wet and not rot. OSB can not take any moisture hardly at all. It will swell up, and become soft. I would say if someone was going to say they had a high quality product, you would not use OSB for decking. All the custom houses we build use only plywood on the walls and roof.
I've been in the construction industry since 1974. I've seen many homes in the framing stage exposed to the elements, rain, for weeks at a time without any ill effects to the OSB.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also think it's simply unrealistic to expect that there will be no mold in a built enclosure. There is some kind of mold, simply put, practically *everywhere*. There are dangerous molds, and some people have various health affects from the presence of mold, but an expectation of no mold in wood products or in your RV is not achievable. Mold is on the wood used in your RV, it spreads, much more easily in fiberglass batting than in polystyrene, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have a mold *problem*.

You can't have a completely sanitized space in a box you live or recreate in.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
All RV's not properly maintained will eventually leak.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
All RV's not properly maintained will eventually leak.
x2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #39

The RV I am referring to was a water line leak that had fiberglass batts in the floor. What a mess. Sorry, it doesn’t belong in a RV.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I've been in the construction industry since 1974. I've seen many homes in the framing stage exposed to the elements, rain, for weeks at a time without any ill effects to the OSB.
This is true, as long as it can dry out. It will wick moisture more than plywood. I have done many re-roof jobs that the OSB has gotten wet. Pretty much swelled to twice the thickness. Like I said, its not that it isn't a decent choice, its just not the best choice.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also the OSB that is used is very cheap and the glue used is water soluble, not like the much more expensive OSB used in home construction that is exposed and can dry out.

Outdoors RV and a few other higher end products use marine grade plywood. It can get wet considerably longer before it turns to mush.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #42

That video is really bad news to even consider a GD. I was looking at a used one. Too bad, I really liked the layout etc. I plan to live in it for a year or more and drive up the coast and thru other states. I do not need such a problem.
That video will make me search for other threads how to upkeep the roof. I learned from an old piece of garbage RV my now ex talked me into buying. I knew better. But naive. And of course, honey anything for you. Well, she's gone, LOL, and so is that leaky RV. So I am looking for tips to look at. And maintenance and interval times to do it, tips to seal and keep roof in good shape. I was told that can't use regular roof sealant like at Home Depot because of the roof material. Doesn't adhere to the roof. THANK YOU for that video. Scary
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design