Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
YC1

There is some risk at taking the battery home and what a pain. The risk is puttiing it back in reversed or dropping a wire and not reconnecting it.

IF you install a solar panel assuming you have sunshine and not under a cover the battery will thank you.

You do need to install a disconnect switch to keep anything your forgot to turn off from ruining the battery.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We installed a mechanical break switch because of parasitic drains.

On a simpler rig, you could just open the main breaker...should look something like:
Attachment 183623

A charged battery can sit for months without discharge - if isolated.

You could also add a small solar charger if you store for more that a few months.

Best luck
As Scarab0088 stated the first step is a battery disconnect switch. Then if you put the RV in storage with a fully charged battery and the switch off you are good for a couple of months easy. I am not one to remove and charge a battery after each trip!

After I added my battery disconnect which gave me time to purchase and install a simple solar system I am good for long term storage if needed. I now leave the switch on and stay full charged but I also live in the sunshine state of Fl.
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had a travel trailer and stored it in a secure location during the winter. I started storage with a fully charged battery. Disconnected it's negative terminal. There is a very slight self-discharge. When I would de-winterize 4 months later the battery would be above 50 % charge.

So, IMHO you have the option to just disconnect and leave , so long as you start out with the battery or batteries charged.

If you visit the TT to check on it during storage as I used to do, you can check the voltage of the disconnected batteries with a volt meter to ensure they have not self discharged too much to begin to present a freezing risk. A 50% discharged battery will have electrolyte freeze at -20 F.

Standing voltage of a 50% discharged battery will be about 12.0 volts.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once you have the battery FULLY CHARGED.. Lift all Negative wires off the terminals.. IT should be good for several months that way.. Not sure if it will last till you hook up again however,
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #19

If it's fully charged when you park it , lift the negative or install a disconnect. It will be just fine the next time you hook it up. Cold won't hurt it.
I cover my RV with a large plastic tarp. The roof vents are left open. Helps keep the snow from getting into everything.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
RPr

When I park my TT, I bring the battery home and charge it. It sits under the laundry room sink until I need it. Generally about three or four months.

Between trips I disconnect the battery cable. It rarely sits for more than a month.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #21

As I've said in other posts, I've been in the battery business 20+ years. Simply unhooking a fully charged battery for the 3-4 months you have it parked shouldn't hurt the battery at all.
Hot weather is MUCH worse on batteries than cold weather. Batteries aren't as efficient in colder weather, which is why there is a cranking amp rating (measured at 32*) and a cold cranking amp rating (measured at 0*). The CA rating is always higher, sometimes by as much as a third!
Deep cycle batteries might not have a CCA rating, but there should be an amperage for CAs and reserve cycling rating. The higher, the longer it will last until it needs to be charged back up.
Also, a deep cycle battery can be discharged quite a bit and still brought back, so long as it's not left discharged for too long. A starting battery isn't designed to be used as a deep cycle. Not enough lead!
Hope this helps some and don't sweat it too much if it doesn't come back up in the spring. EVERY battery dealer and parts store has deals in the spring. It will save you some $!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #22

Also, if you decide to take it out and charge it over the off season, do NOT buy a trickle charger or leave it on a charger full time! It will over charge and then you will need a new battery.
The best float charger out there is a Battery Tender by Deltran. It will charge the battery if it gets to a certain low point, and then turn itself off when it gets fully charged. I know several independent battery dealers that this is ALL they sell and recommend!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
There is some risk at taking the battery home and what a pain. The risk is puttiing it back in reversed or dropping a wire and not reconnecting it.

IF you install a solar panel assuming you have sunshine and not under a cover the battery will thank you.

You do need to install a disconnect switch to keep anything your forgot to turn off from ruining the battery.
Minimize this risk by taking a pic and following it for re-connection.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
When in storage, bring the battery home and hook it up to a battery tender.
X3. I agree. A plug in wall charger is the most reliable source of power and works day or night. An inexpensive motorcycle battery tender is all one needs.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't take my batteries out. I have a 200w solar panel to keep them charged. All I do is regularly check them for water. I have a watering system for them and it takes less than 2 minutes to add water if needed.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #26

Yes the rig comes with that red dial battery disconnect switch thing that is pictured above. Also in the camper there's a button I can push that tells me the charge of the battery I'm sure I'll go look at it every couple of weeks and I do Camp about every month or two during the short mild Winters here in North Carolina so I guess I'll buy the $50 motorcycle battery tender on Amazon and see if that works this year. Thanks for all the comments batteries are such a complicated topic sad that I have to deal with them again but I understand it's a necessity now
nrg2brn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #27

nrg2brn, I was under the impression you had no access to electricity at your storage site. If you have access to power simply plug your trailer in and let the onboard converter/charger do the charging. Check water level periodically.

Be aware that the battery disconnect switch on your trailer likely does not disconnect all loads. Usually CO2 and propane alarms remain connected and will draw the battery down over time. Disconnecting the negative battery cable and leaving a fully charged battery for a couple of months at a time would work just fine too.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storage for us is a matter of parking next to the house. In Florida, we use the rig year round. I know putting solar isn't something that everyone would benefit from,,,and it is more expensive...initially...than carrying a battery home and putting it on a maintenance charger...but--- I find that whenever possible...my. Aim is to make using the RV easier, not harder. If you adapt to things that always require more labor, in order to get use from the RV...eventually you might tell yourself,,,no too much of a hassle to carry the battery back and forth for only a two night outing. And you'll stop using the RV as much. Or, of it's all ready to go, just throw your food and clothes in and check tire pressures --- you might chomp at the bit to go whenever the time presents itself.

http://a.co/0kg0osq

There is a quick shopping list...if you want to get an idea of what it costs to add solar battery maintainer in the roof. Add in a few zip ties for cable management, ring terminals, and dicor

Tags
batteries