Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
GPW

After Katrina, we cleaned our icebox with all manner of cleaners ...common Vinegar seemed best (non-toxic) , charcoal briquettes wrapped in newspaper really helped with the residual odors ...Took a month or two to return to normal .... Cheaper than buying a new refrigerator , and in the meantime we used a dorm fridge for the cooling duties ...

On the other hand , the cat peed in the wife's Volvo... Tried everything , still smelled , so she sold it ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The cat or the Volvo?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I once used Bonita for fishing bait. Didn't have a wiping towel, so some of the smell got on my clothes. I walked inside the motorhome, DW said what's that smell ? I played dumb. She said get outside and take off those clothes. I said that if I did that I would be arrested for indecent exposure. So I stood by the door and removed the clothes and threw them out the door. Then I started chasing her, almost got kicked out the second time. I did learn a good lesson. Next time I will have a large wiping towel. I also, by myself, had to use lemon juice to remove the smell. I guess I should be thankful I'm still alive.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I was growing up, my buddy and I bought a '65 Corvett, site unseen, really cheap.
We parked it in the garage, the next morning you could not stand to be in the house because of the smell.
Turned out some guy had killed himself and was in the Vett for a month.
Never did get the smell out-Mom made us get the Vett out-Went to the dump.
So much for lifes lessons.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
There was a Mythbusters on that very thing
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #20

somthing that i found to remove unwanted smells is "scent killer" found in the sporting goods dept at wal-mart. i use it on my hunting clouthing and around the TT to get rid of smells.
willfish02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
GPW

R66, the Volvo ...

Hunters scent killer ... That's a COOL idea !!! Doesn't attract Deer huh ???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let me make a suggestion!!

I have been in the disaster cleaning business for many years and can offer a sound recomendation on how to eliminate the odor problem. Contact your local fire and flood restoration company. (Service Master is the best , but I am also a dealer for them) what you need is an ionisation unit placed in your RV for two to three days. This will eliminate all odors and leave the RV smelling fresh. They should offer this to you at a minimal cost. THIS WILL WORK!!
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #23

You might try wiping the freezer and fridge out with Vanilla Extract, I have used this method a couple of times with good results.
Navy Techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #24

Smile I made a boo boo update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngilbert1 View Post
When we closed up the camper for the winter somehow a package of squid hid itself from me as I turned off the fridge for the winter. Now my camper smells of dead fish. I have hit the inside of the unit with everything that I can think of but I can't seem to get rid of the odor. Does anyone have a favorite way of removing odors from their camper?
I would like to thank everyone for their input to my particular problem. I was able to find a local serv pro franchise near where I live. Those folks know what they are doing. I was given a sample of 2 chemicals that worked wonders for my situation. One was called bio-cide and the other is a sanitizer. After a couple of applications things are greatly improved. Too bad I ran out of lucky strikes several years ago. That sounded like a perfect fix
ngilbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Just smoke a few packs of Camels in there. You'll never smell the squid again.
A fine cuban cigar should do it as well.

Sorry for your smell...that's got to be a bummer.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngilbert1 View Post
When we closed up the camper for the winter somehow a package of squid hid itself from me as I turned off the fridge for the winter. Now my camper smells of dead fish. I have hit the inside of the unit with everything that I can think of but I can't seem to get rid of the odor. Does anyone have a favorite way of removing odors from their camper?
<LI id=jsArticleStep1>Add 1 cup of white vinegar to a pot of water.
<LI id=jsArticleStep2>2
Boil the water and vinegar mixture for an hour to help neutralize odors.
<LI id=jsArticleStep3>3
Open several boxes of baking soda and place them around the kitchen and in the refrigerator if you have fish smells from leftovers there.
<LI id=jsArticleStep4>4
Place charcoal pieces around the kitchen to absorb the smell.
<LI id=jsArticleStep5>5
Open the windows and turn on a fan if possible. Adequate ventilation will help to remove the smell - Finish with real lemon juice wipedown

Read more: How to Remove Fish Odors From a Kitchen | eHow.com How to Remove Fish Odors From a Kitchen | eHow.com
joec66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It sound like you've gotten some professional help for your issue, but while we're on the topic, I have found Nok Out spray Osburn Distributors to work amazingly well on fabric, upholstery and carpets. I don't know about pet odors, but a couple sprays eliminated the odor of 50-year-old musty mothballs from a wool blanket and a nasty, mildewy-basement smell from some 1950s drapes.
Pretty cool.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #28

One word OZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote