Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #29
RPr

If you are new to RVing, take your best guess at what you want and rent a similar unit. You will learn more in a week or ten days of towing and camping then all the information on the board. Plus you can visit the scales and get your axle load weight with the TT loaded for the road.

Every brand of RV made had its detractors, even the high dollar models.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
floorplan. If you love it, you'll be happy with your RV. If not you'll be trading sooner. So I suggest looking at as many floor plans as possible before deciding. Our first A frame seemed ok until we realized that the heat pump was right under the best bed....our class C had a dark rear kitchen and a loft bed...it got pretty warm up there in Summer. We now have a small class A with a floorplan that works great for us.
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May of 2010 We purchased a Flagstaff V-Lite with 3 slides. Spring of 2011 I was washing off the winter residue and found a crack in the sidewall. Forest River (Flagstaff/Rockwell) repaired it and modified the chassis to prevent it from occurring again. Five years later it did it again in the same place. Forest River fixed it again all at no charge. Forest River stood behind their product well beyond any warranty. My son now owns the camper and I don't care what brand you buy they all are built from a thousand different manufacturers products. Find the floor plan you like and the dealer you have confidence in and pull the trigger!
I wish you safe and happy travels.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #32

Alaska trip

I like the Rockwoods. We took ours 11600 miles from Arkansas to Alaska and back. It did great. I believe the biggest hurdle is just learning how to operate the different appliances. Some problems we thought we had were not problems but just not understanding the systems. I believe it is tough to be happy with your first camper until you use one. We are on our 3rd. Here is a link to our blog from our trip.

www.dickieleighandanrv.wordpress.com

Thanks,
dickieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #33

Please do not be discouraged from pursuing a TT. The forums are chock full of negative ninnies and most folks like to pontificate. You'll soon learn. However nearly all of the stuff coming out of the industry today is not put together perfectly and will more than likely present a few things to work on. But that is part of the journey. Take what you have and make it better! Find a floor plan you like and a product you can afford and go for it. If you wait for a consensus on a certain product you will not find it here or on any other RV forum. Having said all that the forums are beneficial and there is a lot of experience out there that folks are willing to share. And it really does help. You just have to sift through it. Happy camping! We love our Prime Time, and yes some folks don't like them and some folks do, and I've had some small stuff to fix on mine and I bought it new, but it's in much better shape today than the day it rolled off the line and I work hard to keep it that way. There's nothing on it that I cannot fix if needed.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by windman View Post
Yes I will be attending one in the begining of March
I would also recomend salesman protection....ear plugs!
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #35

When you spend enough time on forums and researching and being in the community patterns begin to emerge over time. Jayco and Keystone are the Mcdonalds of trailers. I've owned a Keystone personally. I've heard bad things about Forest River. Dutchman.

I hear good things about Outdoors RV and Grand Design.

Nothing is perfect. They will all have issues. But the best ones are the ones with a company that stands by their product so that when things do go wrong you are taken care of.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
When you spend enough time on forums and researching and being in the community patterns begin to emerge over time. Jayco and Keystone are the Mcdonalds of trailers. I've owned a Keystone personally. I've heard bad things about Forest River. Dutchman.

I hear good things about Outdoors RV and Grand Design.

Nothing is perfect. They will all have issues. But the best ones are the ones with a company that stands by their product so that when things do go wrong you are taken care of.
I've had my Keystone 5th wheel for 4 months now. Nothing major but so much small stuff that just bugs the mess out of me.

-Screws not drilled all the way in
-Doors not staying shut(poor craftsmanship)
-Top bunk bed loose
-One of the straps on table seats was broke
-The handle to keep shower door closed during travel broke after 1st trip -Rubber gasket on gas doors comes off all the time
-I had to change the locks on gas door to turn up instead of down because it would come open driving down the road

Nothing major but just annoying as heck. Just kind of gives you an idea how alot of manufacturers care more about getting the unit out the door vs taking time to do little stuff to improve the product.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
I've had my Keystone 5th wheel for 4 months now. Nothing major but so much small stuff that just bugs the mess out of me.

-Screws not drilled all the way in

-Doors not staying shut(poor craftsmanship)

-Top bunk bed loose

-One of the straps on table seats was broke

-The handle to keep shower door closed during travel broke after 1st trip -Rubber gasket on gas doors comes off all the time

-I had to change the locks on gas door to turn up instead of down because it would come open driving down the road

Nothing major but just annoying as heck. Just kind of gives you an idea how alot of manufacturers care more about getting the unit out the door vs taking time to do little stuff to improve the product.

Our hideout developed a horrible roof leak after 1 year. But the roof warranty was only 90 days. And I had the dealer inspect the roof too.
We promptly sold it and took a loss.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by windman View Post
I'am looking to purchase my first TT and I'm reading reading reading to try to find a TT that will fit my needs. Looking at floor plan from different company then looking for reviews on those and whatever one I choose I always find horror story.
Looking for jqyco...then some say there are not what they used to be, then Keystone....people asking if the are more reliable...today look like I found a nice brand MPG AND like some floor plan till I read another horror story in here...

I'm discourage... will I buy a new rig then leave for a 3 months trip and be dealing with problems and problems? Or is it only the bad thing we read on the web ?

80% of TT are built by two companies.

Given that the suspensions are worse than what on a horse drawn buggy of 1895, take your time. They don’t much care about lasting quality OR good road performance.

A square box with leaf spring is worst possible design.

So. Ask yourself some questions:

1) How long will you keep it?

2) How many miles? 75k or less in that time frame? Then barrel bottom will be “okay”.

3). Cost of the unit includes both finance and depreciation costs. Any increase to the cost of a different family vehicle from present. Storage fees, insurance, tag, etc.

Add these up.

Your “cost” is the above divided by the total nights aboard during ownership.

When you buy brand-new you take a big hit. A few year old unit might be better. Some experience, first.

Take your time.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote