Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1

I ordered an Oliver!

Last week I placed an order for a new Oliver Legacy Elite II.

You can see details and pictures here: Oliver Travel Trailers

Think Casista/Scamp/Eggtrailer, but a premium class like Airstream. It's small, around 23 feet.

I've been using a large 5th wheel trailer as lodgings for my work out of town. It's just too big, plus has been nothing but endless problems because of the poor quality you get with mass produced trailers. I want something smaller and built like a tank. Hopefully, this new trailer will carry me 10 years until retirement. I got it equipped for some boondocking and adventuring until then.

Admittedly, this is not everyone's cup of tea. It's small and has a wet bath arrangement. No slideouts. No gas oven. But for just me, I think it will be fine. Not my first small trailer, that is for sure. They are expensive (but less than an Airstream). They are built to order.

So here are the options I'm getting:

Fiber Granite countertops - like a corian - you get to pic your color. You also get to choose your upholstery and awning fabrics too.
Twin bed layout. One bed with upgraded mattress, one used as sofa.
Solar setup - 320 watt panels, controller, transfer switch, Four 6v AGM batteries 400 ah.
Xantrax 2000 watt inverter
Front cap mounted generator hookup w/ transfer switch
Wifi Ranger
Cellular Signal Booster
King TV powered TV antenna (normally they supply King Dome, but I'm having a TV antenna fitted instead)
30 lb twin propane tanks
Additional interior lights
Additional street side awning
Arctic insulation package (this will be their first trailer with this option - essentially an additional heat pipe to plumbing area, plus additional insulation in the upper hull)

The pros to this trailer, I think are:
Double wall all fiberglass construction - no wood. Built very similar to a boat.
All aluminum chassis - 7000 capacity
16" aluminum wheels - mounted with truck tires, not trailer tires.
Leaf springs with 4 shocks.
Fully enclosed tanks and piping - not a belly pan - these items are between the hulls. They say all tanks and interior items can be removed without cutting anything.
All marine fittings - stainless steel
True double pane windows
All cabinets, bulkheads are molded into the interior hull, not bolted on.

The cons:
Heavy for a 22' trailer - 4200 lbs dry. OK as I have 2500HD.
Expensive!
Small company, limited production (this cuts both ways, I guess).
Have to wait until February to get it.
Wet bath arrangement.

So there you go. I thought long and hard about getting an Airstream. My primary concerns were durability and winter serviceability. I just felt that the Airstream would probably hold up, but I couldn't keep it perfect looking and that would drive me crazy. And there were too many stories I read about them being cold in winter weather. These Oliver Trailers are touted as "lifetime" trailers. I hope so.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Looked at them with your link. Pretty impressive. I could get one in a heartbeat but the DW would not buy into it. Just too small for her. Looks to be built really solid. I imagine they're spendy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
We all purchase for our own need's and want's. Good luck to you on your's.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

I wish someone used similar construction techniques in a larger sized trailer. I think there's a lot to like there, but I prefer something with more interior room.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

I went online and viewed their whole website. Pretty impressive. I could live in one of those with no problem but I would prefer slightly longer with a full size bed set up permanently.
Are you having the See Level tank gauges installed or are they standard, I couldn't tell. If not standard I would request them because the normal tank gauges are terrible.
Good luck and post some pictures when you take delivery.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

I've been using a large 5th wheel trailer as lodgings for my work out of town. It's just too big, plus has been nothing but endless problems because of the poor quality you get with mass produced trailers.
You are joking, aren't you?

I don't think that there any mass produced large trailers. That would imply an assembly line, a concept that the RV industry has yet to discover. It would also imply real quality control, drawings, and specifications. All are concepts completely foreign to the majority of the industry. The truth of the matter , is that they are all hand crafted. Fortunately, a few manufacturers do a better job of hand crafting than most.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I went online and viewed their whole website. Pretty impressive. I could live in one of those with no problem but I would prefer slightly longer with a full size bed set up permanently.
Are you having the See Level tank gauges installed or are they standard, I couldn't tell. If not standard I would request them because the normal tank gauges are terrible.
Good luck and post some pictures when you take delivery.
yes, they are standard.

I'm getting the twin layout - one bed made up permanently, the other left as a sofa.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You are joking, aren't you?

I don't think that there any mass produced large trailers. That would imply an assembly line, a concept that the RV industry has yet to discover. It would also imply real quality control, drawings, and specifications. All are concepts completely foreign to the majority of the industry. The truth of the matter , is that they are all hand crafted. Fortunately, a few manufacturers do a better job of hand crafting than most.

Joel
I think you know what I meant. But I also understand what you mean.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #9

The Legacy Elite II is on my short want list for a travel trailer, the somewhat larger Bigfoot 25 footer with the rear bedroom being them other one under serious consideration. I've been considering making a pilgrimage to both factories to see how they are built.

I'm curious as to what Oliver is using for their solar option. I'm guessing that they're going with 12V modules and a PWM charge controller. I'd also like to hear about how the winter insulation package works out for you. I like to spend some time in the mountains of SWNM in the winter where the temperature swings can be pretty severe.

One thing that I do like about the Oliver is the molded interior, which should lend itself to doing a deep cleaning from time to time. I'm glad to hear that everything is serviceable from below as that is one of my concerns. The twin bed option looks good for the bachelor life, but I'm not sure my girlfriend would appreciate it.

Tom
baphenatem is offline   Reply With Quote