Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it isn't leaking now it soon will be!

Okay so I have this new travel trailer with a great extended warranty and it is a quality trailer but it has a roof. From all my reading on trailers I have come to the firm conclusion that the roofs on trailers are garbage and if they aren't leaking today they will be tomorrow. Even the extended warranty doesn't cover damage caused by a leaking roof because as everyone knows, the roofs on trailers leak. They just do! Get over it, expect it, plan on it, and don't be surprised when it does. Thus when my wife and I were discussing getting a trailer I said "only if we have a place to keep it out of the weather because as we all know trailer roofs leak." This has made me wonder why they don't build a better roof, I know the answer, cost. Trailers have to be cheap and are only expected to last 3-6 years before their leaky roofs cause their demise. But since they are cheap (relatively for a moving home) we all live with leaky roofs.
This has caused me to wonder if their isn't something I can do to prolong the life of my roof and to keep it from leaking for longer. I did wait to buy a trailer until I had a barn to store it in. This way I don't feel like I need to check it for leaks all winter long as Oregon deposits 60+ inches of water upon it over the course of a few months. I also am aware that I am supposed to regularly inspect the sealant on my roof at least four times a year. Since my roof is curved and I am old and getting older, and since I have never enjoyed high places with cement landing zones below them I do not relish this task of inspecting my sealant on a regular basis. I have also heard that if you have to seal a crack in your sealant you just squeeze some more sealant into the crack and it will flow evenly about until such time that you have sealed the same leaking cracks to many times and then you must go through the laborious task of removing all the old sealant and apply new, thus starting the whole #%$&@ process over again. At this point most old curmudgeons like myself just sell the trailer to some young chap with more dreams than experience and we go buy a new trailer with a leaky roof and cracking sealant and wonder if there isn't a better way.
This brings me to the reason I wrote this whole diatribe. I have heard that there is this space age, wonder product called Eterna-bond roof tape for trailer roofs. It is supposedly the most amazing thing since composting toilets. According to the manufacturers claims and the reviews on Amazon this stuff sticks better than stains on new carpet. It never gets old and never leaks. People patch boats with it, they cover up leaky holes on their roofs with it, and the highway department is using it to build longer lasting freeways. Okay that might be a stretch but it is supposedly the answer to all leaky roof problems. So my big question is...should I just cover all my seams on my new trailer with this stuff before I have a big buildup of sealant that needs to be removed. Would covering all my seams with Eterna-bond tape save me a whole lot of hassle and problems down the road and would it keep me from taking a fatal step off my roof while fumbling for my glasses as I try to inspect that little seam for a crack that might be leaking? Anyone who bothered to read this whole missive have any experience or thoughts. Anyone use it on an new roof or only on an old one?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #2

YES
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #3

You are right, proper maintenance is key to protecting your investment. Eternabond is a very good product IF properly applied; it just may outlast the RV roof material. The Eternabond video library is a great aid.

A side note, it helps us old folks to read your post when it is paragraphed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

+2. Or install a rubber roof and tape the transitions.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Or call RV Armor and have them put their whiz bang "Good Stuff Maynard" coating on...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You are right, proper maintenance is key to protecting your investment. Eternabond is a very good product IF properly applied; it just may outlast the RV roof material. The Eternabond video library is a great aid.

A side note, it helps us old folks to read your post when it is paragraphed.
Weird but I did indent five spaces for each paragraph but something happened when it posted and the indentations went away. There should have been multiple paragraphs, you are correct. I guess I will just double space for paragraphs in the future.

Old Biscuit your brevity is a welcome change from my loquaciousness.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

I replaced about half my roof ,plywood and EPDM. where the new met the old I used eternabond 4" tape. probably the most secure part of the roof. Love the stuff. Have now done around skylight and rear seam . Just clean well in accordance with the instructions.
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My EPDM rubber roof is 17 years old now and has been kept outdoors.
7 years ago I covered the front and back roof seams with Eternabond tape and the vent seals/TV antenna seal with Eternacaulk sealant.
Results after 7 years - the Eternabond tape looks like new on flat surfaces (curved rood and a few small tree branch rips I patched). However the tape eventually allowed water to get under curved or non-flat areas (the ladder attachment and the roof to side curve).
The Eternacaulk also still looks like new and sealed the original Dicor sealant cracks well.
So I say if you choose to do this use both - the tape on flat surfaces and Eternacaulk on roof vents, ladder attachments ect.
Also, I would wait a year or two to allow all the original sealant to thoroughly set/dry.
Hope this helps.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

old curmudgeons

Morn'n Off Road,

Thanks for the tips on the Eternastuffeth. Gonna look into it for our new TT.

Here to ask a question. You wouldn't be related to a crusty ol curmudgeon liv'n down in the South Texas puckerbrush would ya? Wondering cuz you talk, sound and reference things just like him. Not a bad thing.
harleydu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Tom, for that helpful tip. I will order the caulking along with some tape.

The roof will be one year old in May and I really want to go over it once with this miracle tape and caulk/sealant and then not have to touch it for at least five years. Hopefully it will add resale value. It probably won't make it worth more money but perhaps it would help it sell faster if a potential buyer knows it was kept inside and the roof was semi-permanently sealed.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is still under warranty I would hold off - you don't want to void the warranty. If not - go for it :>)

I found that the tape goes on (and off) best when the temperature is about 80F or higher. I think they say apply above 50F; if you do apply in cooler temps then go back up there on a hot sunny day and give it a another good pressing. The tape like to 'lay' flat - don't stretch it at all.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

Yes I have done every rv roof we have had over all the years and never had a leak.New and old.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydu0 View Post
Morn'n Off Road,

Thanks for the tips on the Eternastuffeth. Gonna look into it for our new TT.

Here to ask a question. You wouldn't be related to a crusty ol curmudgeon liv'n down in the South Texas puckerbrush would ya? Wondering cuz you talk, sound and reference things just like him. Not a bad thing.
Nope all my family has been in Oregon for at least the last couple of generations. I guess I just like to write sometimes because I can take three paragraphs to say what would fit in a good run on sentence.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Nope all my family has been in Oregon for at least the last couple of generations. I guess I just like to write sometimes because I can take three paragraphs to say what would fit in a good run on sentence.
Yup, I can tell that you like to write. Bet you're a good story teller around the camp fire too.

thanks again for the info. Happy trails.
harleydu0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak