Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In line water filter

What's everyone thoughts on a inline water filter for are travel trailer. From the hose to the in take
Thanks bob,Linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally we use a filtered water tap at the sink only. City water is pretty good and even one tank from Flint Michigan wouldn't hurt us. Then again I eat street food on Baja so don't listen to me. I'd rather drink from a stream than one of those fracked hydrocarbon single use bottles with the free carcinogens.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are full time RVers and we have the following on our trailer:
Whole house 10 micron sediment filter
Whole house 10 micron carbon filter
Double size On The Go water softener.

We have good water.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

My water is filtered before going into the water bottles we buy from Costco. I sanitize my freeze water system each year but don't actually drink or even brush my teeth with the water coming out of the RV plumbing.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #5

Have been filtering our incoming camper water for a few years. First with the blue Camco in line filters and then with the filter system in the campers with the replacement filters we replace each season. Didn't use any filter for a long time. Don't think we have any obvious side effects from the filtered water. Coffee tastes the same, neither me nor the missus have grown a third eye. By filtering the incoming liquid though we are assured of the purest water available to flush the commodes and that's comforting.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We are full time RVers and we have the following on our trailer:
Whole house 10 micron sediment filter
Whole house 10 micron carbon filter
Double size On The Go water softener.

We have good water.

Ken
I'm also am a full timer and I have basically the same set up. I hooked 2 whole house filters together. One with a carbon and one with a sediment filter. Then it goes into the water softener. There is also a filter on the drinking tap on the kitchen counter.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

Assuming you are not limited by financial issues, the above systems are good, better, and best.
At the bare minimum, get the disposable blue inline filter and attach it to the pedestal or faucet before your city water hose connection. Most city or campground water is good to drink straight up. However, some have issues from sand to coli form bacteria.
Once it gets into your system, it is hard to get it out, or even know if it is out.
Sanitize at least once per year using chlorine bleach according to widely available instructions.
I wish you good luck and happy trails.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
On every RV I have owned all water going into them has passed through one of those blue inline water filters. Also, I only use water from the fresh water tank for everything. It is always nice and cold. Not heated by the sun while laying on the ground.

Never had a problem with the water. It must be the iodine laced water I had years ago with stuff floating in it from a pond.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #9

I am not a germaphobe but even I use an in-line water filter from the city water to the trailer. It probably does some good and does not cost much.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #10

The in-line filters are primarily sediment service and usually about 20 microns

Having a second carbon based filter is a good idea unless you always use know and trusted water sources

You should never use a filter for a second season and if full timing a maximum of 6 months

Occasionally use I would just use inline and replace it annually unless you know if water issues where you camp

The advent of black tank rinsing systems has been one of the worst things happening to camp ground water sanitation

Many people use the same hose bib and some even have the hoses connected with a splitter to the potable as well as the black

I an not a germaphobe however if you occasionally watch or read the news there are biological reasons to be a bit cautious

The family ahead of you might have had issues or simply careless or sloppy regarding sanitation around the water hose bib

At a minimum flush the water and best sanitize it while observing correct procedures doing hook up and flushing
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #11

I built a filter out of the “whole house” housings that you can buy at Home Depot/ Lowe’s along with some fittings. You can buy a couple different filters that will work in the same housing. If you want you can double them up with the different micron filters. It was cheaper than buying a pre-made unit, and in the long run buying the blue Camco filters. I took a 4” PVC pipe and a piece of wood and made a stand because I couldn’t find a place to permanently mount it.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #12

Just another piece of information. If you are using the blue line filters be aware that one type filters down to 20 microns and another type only filters down to 100 microns.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
As always thanks for all the good advice
Safe travels Bob,Linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #14

we use one of the blue ones at the trailer and we further use a Pure pitcher for water for ice and cooking and drinking.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water