RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Insulating Bottom

I was thinking about insulating the under belly of my trailer the water pipes and water reserve are
all in the trailer what do you think would be a good insulator spray foam? The pink stuff question more the Styrofoam stuff?
Creed 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You might post some pictures of the area you want to add insulation to so members can chime in with advice. I would post those [Mod Edit] with some specific information about your year, brand and model number of unit. The more detail you furnish will help get good suggestions.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The spray insulations are great at first glance- then you have to realize if you ever have to do any maintenance such as plumbing or electrical you will have an absolute nightmare.
Stick with fiberglass batt insulation but you also need to ensure that it will not get wet, again it gets wet you have a nightmare.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #4

Insulation of the bottom seems like a difficult project. I think a lot of RV factories actually have the frame upside down when the do it. Plus they have very little, nothing in their way. If your trailer has an open bottom then it is not to be used in cold temps. It is considered a 3 season trailer.

That being said, I had a 3 season travel trailer in 19 degree night time temps on back to back nights with only 45 degree days. The floor was cold as well as cold spots up around the head of the bed. It was not fun.

Enclosed and heated underbelly is a thing. This helps but a travel trailer really is not insulated very well. Thin walls, single pane windows, and shoddy work allows too much cold in.

You might try additional window coverings, and buying weather stripping to put around baggage doors and anywhere you see you need it.

Good luck as a cold weather spell is here.

Edit - agree with only use the spray insulation on a very limited basis. It is super sticky and messy to work with. I too like batt installation better than the spray.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
x2 ^^^^

that would be a big job, not that it cant be done. Round water line foam for exposed lines, Vapour barrier? batten insulation, coroplast screwed to frame supports and furnace ducted down for tanks. Maybe some 12 v tanks heaters...there's probably more precautions that will pop into my head shortly.

It can be done, but at what cost...if that's a issue? I believe there's a few posters on the site that have done this, they may chime in and give you more insight.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Creed --

Welcome to the forum! There are many good forum members willing to provide help anytime! When you get a moment, please create a "signature block" showing the type of RV you have i.e. year, manufacturer, model, etc. This info will allow forum members to provide the best info possible.

With regards to your "insulating the underbelly" question, nine years ago I had a new 30 foot Tracer Executive 3000BHS travel trailer (TT) that I used as my temporary home while I was a project manager for a very large capital project in the Texas Panhandle. The underbelly of that TT was "covered and heated" which meant it had a thin corrugated plastic covering screwed to the frame and the heat is what radiated from the 4" diameter foil furnace ducting (think foil clothes dryer hose). That covering and limited amount of heat would not keep water lines and holding tanks from freezing and would not keep the inside of the TT warm during a January night of sub-zero temperatures and 40 mph wind.

So, I purchased "plastic enclosed" rolls of fiberglass insulation from Lowes in Amarillo to insulate the underbelly --> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manvi...2-ft-L/3033536

To install the insulation, I loosened one side (i.e. removed screws) of the corrugated plastic underbelly covering the entire length of the TT. Then I slide "full width" pieces of the insulation along the top side of the plastic covering but under the furnace ducts, water lines, tanks, etc. and re-attached the covering to the TT frame. During two winters in the Texas Panhandle the water lines nor holding tanks in my now insulated underbelly never froze and the floor inside the TT was toasty warm. I spent about four hours on a Sunday afternoon installing the insulation.

Hope this info helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Creed --

Welcome to the forum! There are many good forum members willing to provide help anytime! When you get a moment, please create a "signature block" showing the type of RV you have i.e. year, manufacturer, model, etc. This info will allow forum members to provide the best info possible.

With regards to your "insulating the underbelly" question, nine years ago I had a new 30 foot Tracer Executive 3000BHS travel trailer (TT) that I used as my temporary home while I was a project manager for a very large capital project in the Texas Panhandle. The underbelly of that TT was "covered and heated" which meant it had a thin corrugated plastic covering screwed to the frame and the heat is what radiated from the 4" diameter foil furnace ducting (think foil clothes dryer hose). That covering and limited amount of heat would not keep water lines and holding tanks from freezing and would not keep the inside of the TT warm during a January night of sub-zero temperatures and 40 mph wind.

So, I purchased "plastic enclosed" rolls of fiberglass insulation from Lowes in Amarillo to insulate the underbelly --> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manvi...2-ft-L/3033536

To install the insulation, I loosened one side (i.e. removed screws) of the corrugated plastic underbelly covering the entire length of the TT. Then I slide "full width" pieces of the insulation along the top side of the plastic covering but under the furnace ducts, water lines, tanks, etc. and re-attached the covering to the TT frame. During two winters in the Texas Panhandle the water lines nor holding tanks in my now insulated underbelly never froze and the floor inside the TT was toasty warm. I spent about four hours on a Sunday afternoon installing the insulation.

Hope this info helps!
This what I did, except I added the coroplast bottom and seal all the bottom edges with a water proof and heavy duty tape. I've been very happy with the results. Safe Travels and warm travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #8

I did the expanded foam on the underside of a toyhauler type 16' trailer I built but it had no piping or tanks below the floor. Agree with the others that you would be creating a nightmare doing that on a regular travel trailer.

My new Outdoors RV has a decent system I think; coroplast bottom, a full layer of reflective insulation, more reflective insulation wrapped around the tanks, then fiberglass batt above in the space between the 3/4" plywood floor and the top of the metal trailer frame....unfortunately, this would be difficult to duplicate after the fact.

I think I'd try fagnaml's method

Dave
Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #9

Insulating R V-bottom

I want to thank you guys so much for responding and giving me many ideas to think about. Thank you so much You've made my day
Creed 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote