Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Insurance claim for roof leak

My insurance company is State Farm.

My 2006 Fun Finder X139 has some leak damage on the roof. About 2-3K worth.

I discovered it last November, and used it last summer, so it's not something I noticed and ignored.

Do most trailer policies cover something like this?

I can ask my agent, but I remember once I called to just ASK A QUESTION and they noted it in my file, the dirty scoundrels. So I don't know if I can trust them.

Also, would something like this raise your premiums?

If the repair was done under an insurance claim, it would be more, since the hourly rate is higher and they would probably do more extensive work, since insurance adjusters may be more picky than me, who just wants the basic fix.

Of course, they might total it out, since the trailer is worth 10K max.

What do you think?
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
They WOULD probably total it out, as I recall their limit is 50 percent of NADA retail, which would be $5000. If you have a shop do it, 25 hours labor and materials at retail would hit that mark easy. I had State Farm for car insurance, and they totaled my Volvo, a Volvo that was drivable onto the flatbed wrecker, all because I insisted on OEM parts. My premiums went up for my other cars and my replacement car (I had a claim now), and they dropped my homeowner's policy afterwards, so yes, I share your opinion of them "dirty scoundrels".

If you are handy, fix it yourself. If you're not handy, find someone that is. Tell the insurance company, you take the chance they will total your trailer, making it no longer eligible for insurance and therefore unsellable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Instead of all the speculation about what your insurance company MIGHT do, and what it MIGHT cost to repair it, you should first get an actual estimate from an RV repair shop. The 2-3 thousand you mention appears to your own estimate. You would also be wise to read your insurance policy. Your answer may be right there in print. Then decide if you want to notify your insurance company or just pay the bill yourself. Or whatever other choices you may have.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
First of all it probably is a comprehensive claim, if covered. Wear and tear are not normally covered..also comp claims are normally not chargeable for surcharges but could affect other aspects of your rate..also a totaled veh can be bought back for value of salvage..you can always discuss with your claims adjuster. Any agent worth his salt will document in his files any discussion. That doesn't mean it went to insurance company. Ask your lawyer and doc any q in their office or on phone and it will go in your file...it's called cya...I agree get a figure from RV repair and then discuss with agent re affect on rate then see what makes sense..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I too have had a bad experience with your company but don't blame them a bit for making a note of all contacts they have with you.

You don't say what the damage is or how it happened. If a vent hit a tree limb and broke part of the roof it's probably one thing but if a lack of maintanence led to a leak which damaged things inside the coach it might be a stretch but I'd call them and see what the scoop is.

Good luck to you...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
edj

More than likely, if a tree fell on the roof and put a hole in it, you would be covered. Damage from a lack of maintenance, forget about it.... To put it another way, if the shingles on your home roof were cracked and leaking, would you expect the insurance to cover damage to the interior of the house? You could always ask, but I doubt the insurace would cover the interior water damage.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote