Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Insurance Providers?

Looking into a solid insurance for our travel trailer. Would like to hear recommendations from the community. We have insurance for the trailer through my All state truck insurance but they can't give me a straight answer to this question..."If I am at a campground, disconnected from the truck, and a tree falls on the trailer and totals it, do you cover that?" Can't give me a straight answer so hoping to see what experiences are out there! Thank you for your time!
SEAHAWKS 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #2

We have had Progressive insurance for the last 5 years but thankfully we have never had to process any claims with them.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

don't worry. The insurance for your camper- as far as if you have full coverage- will cover everything happens to your camper on the camp ground- even when you park it there for the week and just come back at the weekend. your insurance is for the RV and not for the vehicle. if you have a claim, it goes on the RV insurance- the vehicle insurance does not pay the claim. Why would you have a RV insurance, if it would not pay, when the camper is not attached to your truck? would not make sense at all.
We have Allstate, because we have a discount though we have all vehicles and the home owners insurance there. And we have the tax deduction because we was able to declare the camper as second home- saves $300 tax/ year.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

I agree guy, it wouldn't make sense. My problem is they cant answer the question and they are just saying the trailer insurance is an add-on to my truck insurance. Not a separate insurance all together.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAHAWKS 12 View Post
I agree guy, it wouldn't make sense. My problem is they cant answer the question and they are just saying the trailer insurance is an add-on to my truck insurance. Not a separate insurance all together.
This means, your RV is insured- the way how they do their policy is another story. but it has nothing to do, if your rv is insured or not. Add on to Truck insurance just simply means, that it includes the RV, where the RV conditions are separately explained. I would not worry.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

You would need to get a separate policy for your trailer. Progressive revamped their product just recently and that's who I am currently going through. Make sure to inquire about contents coverage (in case you bring a lot of valuable equipment), towing coverage, and the replacement value (if new trailer, I'd go off MSRP vs your purchase price).
Old 07-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

We use State Farm. You need collision insurance. Added to liability. Ours is not expensive. Even covers the things inside.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Most insurance companies (not all... most) will allow you to add an endorsement to your auto policy to cover your fifth-wheel or travel trailer. With this endorsement, your trailer is covered whether hooked to your tow vehicle or not.
As mentioned already, there should also be an option for contents inside your trailer. Some folks don't take much with them... just food & clothes, so this is not a big concern.
If you take a lot of stuff with you, your homeowners policy can cover your stuff in your trailer, but you would have another deductible to pay.
Adding the endorsement for contents in your trailer is usually pretty inexpensive and you would only have to deal with one deductible.

I would say that my bigger concern would be that your insurance agent can't answer your question and, apparently, is not willing to research and get a solid answer for you.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

One more thing....if you happen to break down while travel'n and need to be towed in, if the tow truck is big enough, leave the trailer connected to tv, and insurance will pay all the tow bill....if you separate the units, you'll pay to have trailer towed..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

Not sure where that idea came from. It is not legal to do that. My insurance will pay on trailer as well. Had brakes fail on truck paid to tow trailer as well. Had driveshaft break on rig damaging fifhwheel making it impossible to disconnect trailer charged for double tow as well as safety car so it could be towed.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
RPr

We have had good luck with Progressive. I wiped out a tire, rim and both axles on a road hazard. They were prompt and efficient getting us back on the road in five week with an new undercarriage.

The longest delay was the two and a half week delivery time on the undercarriage. Camping World did the repair and they were also informative and a pleasure to work with.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Not sure where that idea came from. It is not legal to do that. My insurance will pay on trailer as well. Had brakes fail on truck paid to tow trailer as well. Had driveshaft break on rig damaging fifhwheel making it impossible to disconnect trailer charged for double tow as well as safety car so it could be towed.
My advice came straight from State Farm Ins.....It is legal in Oregon, or the towing co wouldn't have done it.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My insurance company told me that if towing a trailer (the trailer and truck are connected) I am covered by the truck portion of my insurance plan. The RV part of my insurance plan covered when it is not connected.

Adding the RV to my existing plan was less than $100/year.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #14

Thank you for the replies everyone! Sounds like I would be covered. Still need them to tell me the answer though....

Tags
insurance