Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Interior: Color pallet and cornice idea.

Hello:

Ok, some of you may know that I recently purchased a 1979 Free Spirit Cub, in what I would call "fair to good" condition. There is not much rot but it does need cleaned and a serious make over. The previous "decorator" loved pink and dark teal. The curtains are pink with roses... and the cushions are covered in a light weight dark teal broad cloth. (not a great job either) And there is this nasty teal short nap carpet on the floor covering what I assume is the original Harvest Gold vinyl flooring from the 70s.

I still haven't managed to get this thing home yet... but hopefully we can drag it home by Wednesday.

Ok... on the the real reason(s) I am posting. I have been concerned with the excess weight things like laminate flooring would add. The tow rig will be a 1991 Ford Explorer with a max tow capacity of 5400lbs (so the RV guy told me) The trailer as it came from the factory is 3330 empty. So adding another 200 lbs of flooring isn't an option, not if I want to carry any supplies that is.

Ok... so I have picked out these fabrics. The floral and the solid will be cushions and the geometric strip will be the cornices/curtains. I've decided to paint the mauve mini blinds an almond or khaki.

Ok so as I perused (watch out! College word!) the sites trying to find a decent fabric for as little cash as possible; I got to thinking about the cornice boards I saw when I went to steal idea from the RV dealer. Again, weight is an issue. As I searched and searched for "batting," I considered and old blanket, or a sweatshirt. Then I thought about that thin typically pink or white Styrofoam one sometimes gets in packages. That headed me into a direction I didn't expect. So here goes the idea... I need feed back.

So for my cornice. I plan to use 1/2" water pipe and elbows... and some of that split Styrofoam insulation lengths. Each window would get a "set" of pipes covered with the insulation and the fabric would be wrapped around and tucked between the foam on the front. The whole thing would be put up on the wall with small L brackets with small set screws drilled and set into the pipe. The only thing I have not figured out is how to keep the 2 pieces of pipe from flapping like a giant pair of lips. Some sort of tie or velcro strap?

I hope I described that well enough. Suggestions, ideas, gently worded opinions?

Thanks!
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

In case you need visuals. Here's the insulation I'm talking about.

E/O 1/2 in. x 6 ft. Tubular Pipe Insulation-P10XB/6 at The Home Depot

Again, the fabric would come from behind, over the top and bottom and tucked in the space between the two insulated pipes.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Nothing??

I assume that since there is no comments or suggestions after 40+ views that my idea is right on the money.... or so far out in left field that you are flabbergasted and have nothing to say.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Talking

If it works post pics..............This sounds similar to a product that was on the market a few yrs ago........cant remember the name but it was a thick piece of foam with a slit in the back to be hung with screw eye hooks. They just slipped in the back. the front was rounded at the top of the cornice and the bottom again with the slit in front too. Then all you had to do was wrap your fabric and tuck it in you could use anything.......dish towels sheets....etc... anything along this line would work..........
solo granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Solo granny - I think I saw something similar at a Joann's store. It was a lightweight foam cornice with slits to tuck in the fabric. Don't remember too many of the details, but sounds like it would be lightweight and easy to hang.

Carol
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

Thanks for answering Ladies. Yes, I remember that foam cornice you speak of. The problem with that one is it was it was so large even when cut down. I also like this idea because it has some structure with the pvc pipe and it won't ride so far from the walls. It seems like it will be inexpensive too... though angle brackets are insanely expensive.

I believe I have an idea to keep the 2 pipes together. Since I have loads of leather sitting around I can use my hole punches and make a thick leather item similar to a figure 8 for the ends and I believe a nice leather strap with a small buckle will keep the front from flapping like lips.

I will certainly take pictures.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #7

Would love to see pics when you finish. Also, love the colors and fabrics you picked out. Should look great when you're done!

Carol
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
Would love to see pics when you finish. Also, love the colors and fabrics you picked out. Should look great when you're done!

Carol
Thank you Carol: I had originally planned to go with some bright hawaiian fabric. Like Ruby Red or royal blue with flowers and big leaves. But upholstery weight Hawaiian print was hard to find and when I did find it the fabric was either too narrow or it was just plain out of the budget.

Then I found a nice tone on tone in colors of sand and moss. That was still out of the budget but it got me to thinking that those colors would be more soothing and less likely to drive one out of the trailer. lol. I got lucky and found the chenille print and the solid for a decent price. I just need to find some upholstery weight thread to match. And it's all about waiting

Today I'm going to go get some pics of the inside and grab those crazy mauve blinds. I found a brand new can of Almond colored paint in my stash so I can at least get that taken care off while I'm waiting for the trailer to finally get pulled home.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #9

Here's an album of 50 "before" pictures. When you see me pointing that is spongy walls or dry rot. LOL Notice in the "toilet pic" the daylight to the right. There is also one picture of the back exterior that I took that looks like someone wrote something about tomato ketchup. lol

Good news is I discovered today that the counter top on the sink area is beige and grey with white background. It will coordinate with the upholstery.

ImageShack Album - 40 images