Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

interior trim/moulding suggestions

we have been completely renovating a 1966 road runner travel trailer. my husband and I are beginners at this and he is doing an excellent job rebuilding this from the ground up; however... I am a bit stuck in the subject of interior trim for the ceiling, walls and floor. aside from caulking, I would like it to look nice and cover up seams and such.
our trailer is a curvy gal, so regular wood trim wouldn't work... or would it? does it come flexible enough? is it cost efficient?
I have found some rubber stuff on amazon, but I just don't know if it is or isn't ideal, or durable enough, or whatever. any suggestions? links to an amazon product you would recommend?

here is the trim I am looking at on amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

if that link doesn't work... here is the name of product:
InstaTrim Flexible Trim Solution (Ivory)

I am really hoping for some great suggestions as we are now in "time crunch mode"

thanks guys and gals,
jen and neil
McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes. They have all sorts of trim. The thin stuff is pretty flexible and will conform to moderate curves. I'd be very wary of peel and stick trim. The glue is not very good but you won't need any woodworking tools to install it.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes. They have all sorts of trim. The thin stuff is pretty flexible and will conform to moderate curves. I'd be very wary of peel and stick trim. The glue is not very good but you won't need any woodworking tools to install it.
What Bob said. I have used the wood trim many times. As to you interior being 'curvy', just how curvy is it?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

The front and back are both pretty rounded in the ceiling. It's only got an 11 ft living space, so the only flat area to trim is the floor, and maybe 4 feet along the center of the ceiling.

It's rounded enough that we had to get thinner interior paneling than we had anticipated to get the proper curve without it splitting.

I will try home depot then before ordering anything rubber from amazon. I would really prefer the wood look. They made such beautiful campers in the 60's, so we are trying to keep it as original looking as we can.
I will try to upload a "before" picture from my phone tomorrow.

Thank you for your input. Watch for that photo tomorrow and tell me what you think

jen
McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #5

We had a similar challenge in our home built cargo trailer conversion. Saw a picture of another guys way of handling it, and it made the job easier. We made flat panels out of luan, then covered the joints with strips. My joints were at 4', but I did cover strips at 2' just to look uniform. Since I had metal tubing to deal with in the roof, I installed furring strips North-South and on each cross member, to mount the luan panels to. Call me cheap, but the best purchase I ever made on this project was a pneumatic stapler. Already had the air compressor, and once I got the settings right, it made the job a lot easier.

A picture probably will explain the idea better. (apologies for the forum watermarks, if they appear...)

Ceiling close-up with our homemade cabinet.

Finished view.

Looking at some interior pics of your era Road Runner, the factory took a similar approach, what I call "cutting the corner". They had maybe 2-3" wide, East-West strips of wood, each piece mounted top to bottom of the curve, making the transition from roof to wall. Appears they also put in cabinets, which they could easily radius the back, and the interior rear surface wouldn't matter so much.

Here was the inspiration:
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - A 7X12

Edit: Here's another fellow building a roadrunner, good original interior pics. (it is from that other rv site however...)
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/29289176.cfm
Those pics reminded me of the local guys that built the skateboard ramps. They literally wet the plywood with a hose repeatedly until they got the curve they wanted, then finished mounting it to the support bracing so it wouldn't lift. I've not done it but it would be an interesting experiment.

Good Luck, show us the finished product.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

If you cannot manage to make wood trim for your curves, another option to consider might be pvc trim. You will see this material in the home improvement stores (lattice strips and door stops for example). With heat you can form it into curvy shapes. For a small project, I have used a heat gun and homemade form to create a custom sized and shaped object. Smaller, thinner pieces are easier to shape with a heat gun then are larger this kind ones; fortunately small scale will likely be better for you small space. With an internet search, one can also find other methods of heating and forming pvc.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior