Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #1

Is a bunkhouse too small for adults

We are shopping for another camper. We want extra beds for adult guest. We haven't visited the dealer lots as of yet. We like the layout of a bunkhouse but the bunk beds look like they may be too small for an adult. Trailers with two stacked double beds may be the way to go for adult guest. The stacked double beds are usually tucked to one side of the camper instead of a dedicated bunk room. What are your thoughts between the two.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is a bunkhouse too small for adults

Search the internet for Navy fitted sheets. Adult Sailors sleep in racks (bunks) that are 26x76 and 26x80. I've slept in them for months at a stretch, and had no problem with the size. The height between the bunks is more important than the width. Too short makes it difficult to roll over, and to get in and out.

Most of the stacked double beds that I see are full-over-full, or some specialized RV variant of the same. I find the length too short for my 5'8" body.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 AM   #3

Make sure to check the weight limit on the upper bunk if you go that route.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #4

How many adults and how old? 20s vs 50s really makes a difference when it comes to accessing the upper bunks.

We have had both but the bunks are for our 2 children (11,9) with only the occasional adult overnight guest being our parents.

Our previous TT had the stacked double beds (Jayco 267bhs). The lower double could hold 2 adults if they were well acquainted . The upper double is pretty tight getting into and a weight limit applies.

our current TT has a bunk room has 3 singles with 2 stacked in a slide out and one being over the entertainment center/outdoor kitchen (Pioneer DS310). The lower single and the one over the entertainment center can fit one adult fairly well. The stacked bunk is slightly narrower and does have a weight limit since it can fold up to give more head room to the lower. This is usually used as a shelf to hold suitcases and toy bags for the kids.

The best part about the bunk room is the privacy. But it means that if our parents come to stay they are on the table or sofa. Thankfully they only come occasionally and usually just for a night or 2.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

Most of the rear living and rear entertainment floorplans come with a foldout queen couch which (when utilized with an air mattress) works well for overnight adult guests if you aren't planning to host more than two. Bunks are going to be mighty small. I'd recommend going to the dealerships, try the bunks yourself and see if it would be something you would be comfortable with. I'd rather have the extra living space all the time than room for a couple of friends part of the time.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

One one quick thought that I would have. It is maybe you might want to take a look at toy haulers. I have seen them where the sides open up into full size beds or actually the roof comes down a little and makes a bad they are usually queen or king size. If that was the most important that would be something I would look at it.
dustyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #7

Good thing about getting a bunkhouse with adult guests in mind is that you won't have adult guests more than one very sleepless night! Bunks are for kids, even the lower bed is usually not one I'd want to sleep on. Top bunks definitely have a weight limit. Best camping related move we ever made was selling the bunkhouse and buying the rear living model that we have now. When guests are involved, they bring their own accommodations or sleep on the sleeper sofa in the living area.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Not all bunk sizes are the same. Our StarCraft autumn ridge 329bhu sleeps 4 in the bunkhouse. We mainly have adult visitors. The two top bunks are wide/ long enough for me (5'11") and have a 300lb max limit. The bottoms are even larger. Our 70ish yr old guests do not tend to like the upper bunks due to balance and fear of falling out. The 60yr yr olds and younger like them. Both groups rate the bunkhouse privacy as the best attribute.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I go camping to get away from people so having no bunks helps to accommodate that
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Not all bunk sizes are the same.
BINGO!

You'll need to measure each model's bunks to really know the actual size and if they will work for adults. My bunkhouse model does have two stacked single side bunks that run parallel to the TT sides. They are long enough to where my two "40 something" friends slept in them, one of those persons is 6"2", but slender and he didn't complain at all. Said he slept very well... could be that we were also very tired each night from riding ATVs for 8 hours each day.

But the point being, not all trailers are the same. The suggestion of looking at modular toy haulers is also a good one since many of the newer ones have options for drop down beds, swing down beds or fold out couches in the garage area.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

I'll just throw this in the "For what its worth category"
We just got a Aspen Trail 2890BHS
It has a BH in the back with 4 beds. My daughter who is 5.10 fit into the top one and her husband who is 6.5 slept in the other top bunk. I was concerned for him as he is a big guy not fat just tall and solid (200#). His complaint was it was too cold... LOL
For over night it worked, for a week he might move to the couch or dinning table.
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

One of the appealing items in our new trailer was bigger bunks. They are 50 inches wide and 74 inches long. Makes it easier for the in-laws to join us on trips and feel comfortable sleeping. Our previous trailer the bunks were only 32 inches wide and it was cramped for an adult (although doable).
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

My brother in law is 6'3 and slept with his wife in the double bunk and his feed didn't touch the wall.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe you should think about not having the guests get TOO comfortable, or they won't want to leave. Perhaps a short bunk would be just the thing!