Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

Is it a water leak, or condensation?

Before Christmas, on a camping trip, discovered water puddling in the bathroom floor after being there for a day. Could not figure out where it came from, but figured trailer was under warranty, let them figure it out.

Left trailer at the dealer we purchased, and then picked it up on the way out for a trip. They said they changed a valve associated with the toilet, etc. There were snow flurries falling, I was freezing as I hooked up, and they were trying to secure everything, so I kind of said okay, but it didn't seem like they had worked on my problem. Note, I think they may have fixed a problem, just not my problem.

During the second day of the this trip, discovered a puddle again, after about a day. We had ran water off the fresh water tank for the first night, and switched back to city water when the tank was low(er).

Yesterday, I towed the trailer over to the house to work on it. There are a couple of things Forest River did a poor job with, one being the under-seat storages can allow the plastic totes do slam against the doors and open them in transit or even break the doors off. Fixed that, and also braced the Versa Lounger so it does not sag any longer.

Had the water hooked up pretty much all day, never saw a leak. It is very dry around here, with high wildfire dangers, etc.

I have looked at all the piping I can see, I cannot locate any leaks. Granted there are some areas I cannot see without tearing out cabinets, etc. However, it got me to thinking. I wonder if the refrigerator could be having a condensation issue. (We do not have an ice maker setup.)

Has anyone ever seen that occur with their TT?

The water appears very clear, it could be coming from a kitchen sink drain or maybe a bathroom sink drain, or of course the supply line for either sink, or the outdoor shower, but I do not believe the shower of toilet supply or drain could be the source.

The refrigerator is in an area where it could be a source.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #2

Couple of comments.
1. I had a leak from the factory under the kitchen sink. I had to replace the trap and spout off the bottom of the sink to fix it. I ended up replacing the both pieces of the trap because the conic seal on the trap from HD didn't match the original. It was pretty work just need to disassemble a lot to get all the pieces to match.

2. We had a leak by the toilet down by the valve last year. The strangest thing was it only leaked when it was really cold. We spent 5 nights in Sequoia during the days no leaks, at night when the temperature dropped in the high 30s it would leak a little. It didn't even all nights, just the coldest ones. I tried for days to get it to leak in my driveway with no luck. Subsequent trip to Inyo NF, night temps in the low 40s, no leaks. One of the other members here said sometimes the PEX joints leak when the temp changes if the clamp isn't quite tight enough. I believe that and will tighten the clamp if I can ever figure out which clamp it is.

Good luck.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #3

If you think the leak is happening when on the FW tank, maybe check your water pump connections. Ours is located under the bathroom sink.

Not going to help you but we had a similar issue with moisture collecting in our shower pan. Turned out when they drove screws for the shower faucet bezel, one went right through the cold water pex line. The screw was essentially plugging the leak, so just a small amount would seep along the screw and down the shower stall wall. Fortunately, it was an easy fix.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:10 AM   #4

What kind of fridge? Many residential fridges do have a pan underneath that will catch water when they automatically defrost, there is a fan nearby to help evaporate that water when running. Not sure Iíve seen one in an RV but we had a puddle in the kitchen at home before when the pan was dislodged.
jayrodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #5

The leak did not occur when actually using the fresh water tank. The first time, there was not any water in the fresh water tank.

The layout on our trailer is a kitchen sink about 1/3 of the way from the tongue, and the fresh water tank pump is located under this sink. Somewhere buried in the kitchen cabinet area is the line that runs to the outdoor shower line.

Toward the back of the trailer is the bathroom. Layout of bathroom is the sink, then a door to outside, and the shower. The toilet is across from the outside door.

The puddle occurred right in front of the bathroom lavatory cabinet. In both cases where we saw the water puddle, I would suggest the tongue might have been slightly higher than the rear of the trailer, and the passenger side was higher than the driver side. I could not reproduce the right/left tilt at my house Saturday.

It had been relatively cold this second time when the puddle occurred, however, the puddle did not show up until it had warmed up nicely. I think it was like mid-20s that night, but then low 60s during the day. I really can't remember the particulars of the weather the first time: Seems like it was fairly cool, but not sub-freezing.

The refrigerator is a "full size" unit, 12 volt only. It works extremely well. Not sure how to access underneath it to look for a pan. I should have taken time to try to investigate that, but the thought that it could be something like that did not cross my mind until after I had buttoned everything up and I was on to a new project with my wife. Last Saturday was a busy day, ran from 6:30 AM till 8 PM. I joked I took my first shower before sunup, and my second shower after sundown. Pretty much the same yesterday, although the sun was probably up by the time I took my first shower.

I wish that Forest River had designed the cabinets with more of an access underneath the cabinets. Not quite sure how I can check some of these things. If this is a cold weather issue, PEX leaks or refrigerator condensation, it may be next winter before I can investigate further.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #6

Water can travel down/along the Pex tubing.

I would check what ever water connections you can find.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #7

I had that happen once. A puddle right in front of the bathroom sink. I never did find the source.
FWIW, itís good practice to tighten all water and drain connections occasionally. They loosen up as the RV bounces on down the road.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:19 AM   #8

You asked in the title "condensation"? Did any of the windows have condensation? Is there a vent in the bathroom overhead of where the leak occurred?
Twister6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Water can travel down/along the Pex tubing.

I would check what ever water connections you can find.

X2 - I think this is very good advice. Tighten them all up.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, leak, water, water leak