Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

Is it worth it?

I got a quote to convert/modify my existing garage to accommodate our 27fc. Quote is 10k. Thoughts on if you think it’s worth it. Thanks
Davidbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
No because it may not fit the next one.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

It depends on a lot of factors. How much does storage cost? If it is a thousand a year, spending ten thou for home storage is a great investment -- you make 10 percent per year, which you can't get for any other investment right now.

Do you live in a place with bad weather? Having covered storage at home becomes that much more valuable.

Do you live in a high crime area? Safety is worth a lot.

A realtor might be able to tell you if RV storage will enhance the value of your home.

Good luck!
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

I would say yes, but we have always stored our RV under covered storage.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #5

It’s just the 2 of us so I do not see us going to anything bigger than our 27. It would handle a 30 as well.
Davidbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:46 AM   #6

When I put in my concrete pad 13 yrs ago, I had 32 ft gas MH,
I put in a 45 ft concrete pad.
I’m glad I did, my current. Mh is 43 ft.
Always think for the future, a building that doesn’t fit is worthless to you and a future buyer
Get a quote for maybe 40 ft. You might go a little bigger and a 40ft garage is worth more in resale than a 30 ft. It would accommodate most 5th wheels.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbrandi View Post
I got a quote to convert/modify my existing garage to accommodate our 27fc. Quote is 10k. Thoughts on if you think it’s worth it. Thanks

Let's look at the factors of self-storage over private storage yards. Does a private storage yard have a price for covered, electrical, and fewer still or complete covered storage?

Now, if you build your own, and I'm thinking completely covered with the electrical power you more peace of mind. Not much issue for rodent intrusions. and to the right size, you want to have to worry about your investment being remodeled. The biggest cost is the concrete flooring at about half the cost of the building. A little workshop, which you could adjust is size should you go larger.

I think steel is the only way to go and I think $10,000 is a good price for your peace of mind. Let's look at what is going into the price. Drawings, Permits, electrical, with electrical panel box. 4-Walls, doors and maybe a few windows, a steel roof. I think that is a very good price and who knows what I missed.

I would truly like to know, what you end up with?
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #8

When I had my garage designed it was going to be 24 x 30ft.Had the architect draw it up.
My wife talked me into going larger so back to the architect I went.It is 30 x 34ft. now.

My point is go bigger while you can!
Also think about water, electrical,sewage,heating.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

Just looking at basic economics, what will you get for the $10k spent and what is the return on investment? If you store your RV inside, will it be worth $10k more when you sell it due to it being stored inside? Will property taxes be increased? Is your property sales price increased due to a larger storage building? Things to consider.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #10

Curious--is this a free-standing or attached garage? If you modify an attached garage, you could in effect, be changing the future market value of your house--could be good or bad. The "future value" of unique or personalized changes to personal property is in the eye of the beholder--so more than the $10k might be at stake.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Just looking at basic economics, what will you get for the $10k spent and what is the return on investment? If you store your RV inside, will it be worth $10k more when you sell it due to it being stored inside? Will property taxes be increased? Is your property sales price increased due to a larger storage building? Things to consider.
I'd say, if you spend 10K now to get 10K more when you sell it, it's a bad investment. You'll do better just putting that money in a regular savings account. This isn't an investment/payback decision. This is an "I want to..." decision looking for some justification. I have a couple very good friends who store their RV's indoors. One on his own property and the other away from his home. I'm, quite frankly, a little jealous, but for me it's out of the question. They had the opportunity and means, and just did it. Your situation is only yours to know and understand, but if you're looking to the forum to bolster your reasoning to go forward with it, then make sure it's really the right thing to do. Probably 99% of us don't. Regardless, I hope you are happy with whichever decision you choose. Good luck.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #12

Sounds like a good plan. I would make sure it's big enough so there is plenty of room for a slightly larger unit in case that happens. 10k isn't to bad of a price.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #13

If it's at your home and out of the weather it would be worth it to me. I spent 35k to add 10 ft. to my concrete attached to home garage making it 50 ft to accommodate my 40 f Phaeton. worth every penny to keep it out of the weather and to have it accessible any time of day.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #14

Never been happier since building our own MH garage next to the house. Indoor benefits of course, but also so convenient to load and unload, work on it, guest housing, never have to winterize, etc.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote