Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #15

The OP is on the right track. Paying the extra cost for a Lance is a hard pill to swallow especially on the east coast. But Winnebago or Grand Design are good options. Nash is a well built trailer, but with wood framing, and all fiberglass batt insulation it would be a no go for me. IMO, but I buy things to keep for a very long time. Remember R-value is not the only way we measure energy efficiency anymore. Air infiltration is the biggest issue that any structure deals with. Homes built today are using blown in for this very reason. The more air you have the more moisture it carries with it. The bigger the chance for mold especially in a wood structure.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are smart for buying used on your first RV. Lots of companies are using CNC machines to route out the windows and doors in the walls. I think that Lance has carried that a bit too far when they route out all of the cabinetry as well - seems like a waste of wood. I know that ORV uses the window cutouts under the dinette seats and they also use the slide cutout to make the slide wall. As for Adzel that is the material used to back the fiberglass it is a composite that will not rot if it gets wet. Lots of companies are using this material. It does not guarantee that the Filon will not de laminate from the Styrofoam and aluminum used in the sidewalls - or that the wall board will not de laminate either. Water intrusion is what kills most RVs - the trick is keeping things sealed. While I am not in your shoes, I would first look at floorplans, your usage will not be what I consider more than recreational, so I would not be as concerned with tank capacities etc. Perhaps save that for the next rig. If floorplans are equal I would then take a look at the NADA guides and see which one has the best resale as a % of MSRP - the reason I say this is because if and when you decide you like the RV life (or not) you will be trying to sell whatever you buy now - for either a new/larger rig or because you don't like the RV life. The unit with the best % is the one I would buy - besides on either unit the first buyer takes the largest loss.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #17

I just looked at the Lance 2375 yesterday. There are things I do not like as well as things I do like. I am more inclined to buy a Winnebago for a few of the options that I can add.

Also I did get to test a smaller Lance non-ducted A/C cooling ability on a very hot muggy Forida summer afternoon. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. It was slow to cool down and fast to heat up once I manually turned the A/C. This dropped my opinion of Lance with the non-ducted A/C.

I like the Winnebago BAL frame with auto leveling. Auto leveling is an option I want, else you need to carry 2" x 8" 5' long pieces of wood to level side to side. Being able to auto level means the Winnebago BAL frame is relatively stout. I also like the Winnebago quality fiberglass that comes in a color.

Northwoods Artic Fox, Outdoor RV, Grand Design Reflection, Winnebago Micro Mini, Mini and Mini Plus, Lance are all good. But Lance is not worth 20k more than Winnebago. Maybe 5k more IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #18

Get a lifetime membership at Lance Owners of America (LOA) and take a look at their classified section, many people are upgrading and selling their previously used Lances
WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #19

Just watched a video of a guy in a Artic Fox 4 season truck camper. I view the Artic Fox truck camper as the best of the best insulated camper.

The owner said he was in 5 degree F weather and could stay warm with the propane furnace continually running. As soon as the furnace shut off he could feel the cold immediately. That is no different than most other so called 4 season trailers.

Even my 1st trailer in 19 degree F weather I could stay warm but had to have a continual heat source running.

So my thought that the Winnebago is an ok trailer and the Lance is over priced still holds.

No trailer is insulated to the point that the propane furnace would run only 50% of the time or less in cold weather.

Oh, forgot to mention that a truck camper is a really small space to heat. If the furnace runs 100% of the time in an Artic Fox it will run the same amount in any camper.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #20

Lance is probably the most scrutinized brand on this forum.
Do your own research, know how each product is manufactured then you’ll know why Lance cost more. Twice as much? I haven’t seen that in our local market, not anywhere close.
Plain, and simple most use their TT as a tool to get them into the outdoors. Anything else will leave most disappointed as they were never built for such.
When you look at construction, livability, and tow ability it’s a pretty hard brand to beat.
If your considering a Lance go to their forum for info, and real ownership experience.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
I lusted after a Lance but in an apples-to-apples comparison of equal length and options, I got my trailer for about 1/2 what I would have spent on a Lance, if Lance had a trailer I could have used. They didn't have one big enough for our needs. We were looking for a Winnebago but couldn't find the model we wanted for a long time, and when we did CW wouldn't deal on it. I wasn't even considering Jayco at all. One of my friends bought one and I looked it over. We researched lots of brands and ended up very happy. Over 2 years and well over 100 nights and no major issues. No damage to the trailer from a severe blowout... speaks volumes...

I found that being too brand conscious can really limit your choices. We spent a year researching this upgrade. Most use the same appliances and so forth so the floor plan, construction materials, and fit/finish are what you're comparing. Mine stays in covered storage which is a plus. Winnebago was going through some changes when we were shopping hard which limited us to just what was available, or we'd be camping in one. Lance didn't have our needs covered but I doubt I'd have spent that much. So... we're pretty happy with what we ended up with, including the price.

Enjoy the hunt!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #22

This may be the shortest reply to this thread. We owned a Lance several years back. Best camper we have ever had. Bought lightly used, sold 5 years later for $1000 less than we paid, in one day. Cash. The extra cost of admission more than paid for itself when we sold.

I can buy a used grand design for the same price as any other brand out there. I have a handful of GD model buyers orders at the house now from shopping last year. They are only more expensive when brand new.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote