Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #29

Fiberglass repair

This is easy to fix with epoxy and fiberglass filters. The most problematic part is matching the color. Sometimes itís easier to mask off and paint.
This project takes a little time every day until the patch doesnít show. Getting the surface smooth is vital. I often used water to make it shiny, spotting more to be done.
ac7nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #30

What's on the other side of the cap? Maybe you can remove a bed or wall on the inside and push the dent out from the inside. Might be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #31

Is there a fix

There are many pointless dent repair. They are great at their craft and reasonably priced.
Doug Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #32

Paint - less dent repair, if its metal. They are great and affordable.

https://www.dentvanishaz.com/home/

I used this guy in Phoenix AZ. His web site shows befor and after pics. I am sure you have someone in your area that can fix that dent at a reasonable price. Good Luck
rudedawg1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Well, I'd have a Pepsi!
All kidding aside, itís probably aluminum so get some dry ice and rub it against the dent, that may pull the metal back into shape. Or,, thereís always the fix-a-dent guys could probably correct it.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #34

Turned too sharp while backing on uneven surface and wrinkled our cargo trailer. 2 pieces of aluminum diamond plate and looks like it belongs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220505_181815.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	364652  
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeojoe View Post
Attachment 364093

Anyone know a fix for this without replacing the whole cap?
Suction cups and hot glue gun sticks used at 'PAINTLESS DENT REMOVAL" body shops? Might send PIC to one of them and see what they say?
Old 05-05-2022, 10:19 PM   #36

fix

just leave it and look at it all the time to remind you to be carefull. Or could just trade it in for a new one.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:02 PM   #37

OP Keep in mind that your time is worth something. Let's call it $20 to $60 an hour. Investigating, determining what to do, body work, painting, appearance, durability, ...

Get rough quote on repair and if too high then either do nothing or consider covering it with decent material which will cost some money but is low risk, should look fine for most people and likely would not take much time or skill to do.

I would be tempted to not seal around outside of cover but seal well around perimeter under cover and where screws would pierce (under) cover with a gap at bottom for moisture to drain.
TimtheToolGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:48 PM   #38

What? Nobody's suggested 'duck' tape yet?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:03 AM   #39

Get a chisel-point Sharpie in black or red and draw some large arrows around it pointing at it and come up with a good “I hit a 16-point deer” story and use it as a conversation piece. We just bought a 45’ Tiffin Allegro Bus (used of course) and I got way to close to a small tree making a turn in an RV park and I left 6 really good scratch marks on one of the slides. My wife refuses to let me get it painted until I learn how to drive it (probably not such a bad idea) but it’s really driving me crazy knowing it’s there. She actually reminded of it this evening over dinner. She’s such a loving wife! RVs are a lot like helicopters. They will humble you.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stop banging you head on the cap when checking the battery box!
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
It's not going to be an easy repair. The crease at the top of the dent means the metal has been stretched and it isn't just going to pop out. Filling the dent with Bondo and covering it with a sticker may look good for a day or two, but it's eventually going to pop out and look even worse.

I have seen some trailers that have the entire lower front section covered with diamond plate aluminum sheet material. It may cost a bit more at the start, but if done properly, it not only looks good, but will protect the front of your trailer from rock chips and more dents.
Ditto.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #42

Repair as best you can and then take it to a vehicle wrap place and have them put fake diamond plate up high enough to cover the repair. Or, order it from Amazon and attempt it yourself. The pattern should camouflage imperfections pretty well.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote