Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

Is this a good price?

Hello everyone, after researching for quite a while I think we have finally decided to get a Keystone Bullet 290BHS. Now it comes down to trying to figure out pricing. I’m new to purchasing any type of RV so this part is a bit challenging for me. After hours of YouTube videos and months of searching forums it seems like 30% off MSRP is fairly standard. Now from there is where things start to get murky. What fees should I expect? I’m going to be purchasing in Florida so I assume it won’t be quite as cheap as buying say in Indiana so expect some sort of transport fees to be passed on to me (i can’t go far due to being military and therefore restricted due to Covid). Keystone website puts the MSRP at 34,442. The first dealer I went to said the list price was 41,500 but they could give me a heck of a deal for $37,300 out the door. Obviously I told them to pack sand. The next dealer I spoke to offered $29,367 out the door on a 2020 which seems much more reasonable. I haven’t gotten the line by line break down yet (obviously I will before committing to anything) I figure about $1800 for shipping and another $1800ish for taxes plus and approximately $500 dealer fee puts a sale price around 25,285. I was thinking if they would throw in a good WDH at the $29,367 it may be a fair deal. Am I way off base? What am I missing? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Merc0085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

From my research, 35% off MSRP is do-able on most new RV's. Included options will change the MSRP on each unit.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

Humm, that sounds like you know what you are doing. 30% off is easy to get. 35% off is doable. 40% off if the trailer is a left over.

I think dealer delivery is in the MSRP. You want a group 29/31 battery and box. You want vent covers over all vents...can anyone else think a anything else?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

Go to rv trader and get a feel for the prices. Then email 6 or so dealers, tell them you have cash in hand and want their best price. You need to get it in an email, and you dont want to pay for pdi. Take your best price, go to the dealer, get their price and when it comes in high, show them the email. They will match it unless they have a line of customers waiting outside the door with their masks on . This strategy worked for me ��.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc0085 View Post
Hello everyone, after researching for quite a while I think we have finally decided to get a Keystone Bullet 290BHS. Now it comes down to trying to figure out pricing. I’m new to purchasing any type of RV so this part is a bit challenging for me. After hours of YouTube videos and months of searching forums it seems like 30% off MSRP is fairly standard. Now from there is where things start to get murky. What fees should I expect? I’m going to be purchasing in Florida so I assume it won’t be quite as cheap as buying say in Indiana so expect some sort of transport fees to be passed on to me (i can’t go far due to being military and therefore restricted due to Covid). Keystone website puts the MSRP at 34,442. The first dealer I went to said the list price was 41,500 but they could give me a heck of a deal for $37,300 out the door. Obviously I told them to pack sand. The next dealer I spoke to offered $29,367 out the door on a 2020 which seems much more reasonable. I haven’t gotten the line by line break down yet (obviously I will before committing to anything) I figure about $1800 for shipping and another $1800ish for taxes plus and approximately $500 dealer fee puts a sale price around 25,285. I was thinking if they would throw in a good WDH at the $29,367 it may be a fair deal. Am I way off base? What am I missing? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Not an expert at that unit, but I can share from 35 years of camping, and buying/trading experience in the dealer system, that if you nickel and dime your dealer you can expect them to return the favor. Pay a fair price for a good unit and develop a relationship with your dealer and you will find that they take care of you. Be nice and be knowledgeable - not cocky and arrogant to be treated nice and with respect. Bought our current unit at Camping World in Concord, NC, got a great deal on a unit that was loaded with every option available for the model year 2020 and that someone declined to consummate apparently. Got what I considered was a fair price and terms on it and made the deal. I didn't expect to screw the dealer on it, I believe the best deals are win-win opportunities for long-term business relationships. Back in to the dealer for a couple small warranty items which is understandable, but more than that the dealer has treated us like gold and bent over backwards to accommodate us in every way. Treat the service people like gold and they will help you more than you can imagine. Be nice and accommodating. It helps too if you will take the time to give the dealer a really good review on Google, and when you have a great experience its easy to do!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #6

The two closest dealers to me here in Florida, appear to have about half the inventory they normally do. That might make your 40% off as a leftover a mute point and 35% off may be tougher to achieve as well.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb2tpa View Post
The two closest dealers to me here in Florida, appear to have about half the inventory they normally do. That might make your 40% off as a leftover a mute point and 35% off may be tougher to achieve as well.

Exactly! Supply and demand is going to work against the buyer.
Here’s a site I’ve found to be pretty accurate to get an idea on whether the dealer is trying to do some gouging.

https://seedealercost.com/recreational-vehicles/

I didn’t see anything on a 2020 model, but here’s the 2019 page.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	297488  
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #8

Can you wait until late December or January? Almost every kind of big ticket item is cheaper then as folks tend to have blown their wad on Christmas. Just at thought.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote