Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
So does mine and that was my thought also until Dav L here on iRV2 had his unfurl and trash the roof.

I immediately ordered the lock. My thought was better safe than sorry.
Brand may have played a part in it. Be interesting to know what styles and what brands are having the issue.
Agree though a lock would cover the issue.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #16

RV Awning locks are made for manual and electric

Having a Manual Awning I just lock the roller from moving by taking my awning rod and place the hook end in the roller slot opposite the OEM Awning lock then push the loop end down and behind awning arm
Simple ball-bungee cord (or velcro strap) holds the rod in place against the arm

Simple.....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Mine has a metal cover that keeps it protected when rolled up. Not sure it's even possible for that to happen.
My original Carefree Eclipse auto awning with cover blew out on me in a gusty cornering wind. The aluminum cover may help in some cases, but not all!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wrapping straps around the arms does NOT keep the awning fabric from unfurling. You need a positive stop on the roller itself. I got "lucky" and was deposed by an attorney in a wrongful death suit over an awning installed wrong resulting in it opening into oncoming traffic.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wrapping straps around the arms does NOT keep the awning fabric from unfurling. You need a positive stop on the roller itself. I got "lucky" and was deposed by an attorney in a wrongful death suit over an awning installed wrong resulting in it opening into oncoming traffic.
Correct........
Lock the roller in addition to the OEM Lock (which easily fail) and fabric can not unfurl UNLESS it tears away from side of RV
*Which means fabric was damaged or worn/old
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #20

The awning on my 2000 class A has a metal shield on it and before I got it 5 years ago it had been stored indoors. The fabric is in bad shape so I don't see any advantage in having a metal cover. I had a banging noise when in a side wind several times and finally discovered it was the awning unfurling. When checking with was at the time Spader's in Sioux Falls, SD. he told me it need a new locking and spring mechanism on the front end of the roller. The new style has a positive locking tab that engages a slot instead of just just an overcenter cam that rubs against the center rod. No problems since. The velcro straps around the upright arms will not stop the unfurling.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #21

Coming around I-465 around Indianapolis a few years ago, I was behind a travel trailer when the awning started unrolling. I tried to get the drivers attention when I sped up beside him. He looked at me like I was crazy.

His wife finally saw what was happening and they pulled over. Now I was in front of them. I pulled over too. They were an older couple, well, older than me anyway. They were at a loss. I was in my 1 ton truck and had a 7 foot step ladder and lots of duck tape. I helped them secure the awning down so they could get on their way. They appreciated the help and before parting, he apologized to me for ignoring me when on the road, thinking I was try to cause trouble for them. I politely told them, I understand. He then offered me some $$$ for my time and help, and I told him ABSOLUTELY No. The only thing I asked of him was, if he sees another RVer in a pickle on the road, to stop and see if they can assist them through their difficulty (whatever that may be). He completely agreed.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup... firm believer in paying it forward

Tags
awning