RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Is Your Awning Secured?

Yesterday driving across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in high wind conditions the awning on the trailer in front of us deployed. This all occurred in about one minute and was captured on our dash cam.

https://timmer.smugmug.com/Travel/TTT/n-MXVPFG

Forward to the 2 minute mark to start watching as the awning starts to be deployed.

I need to figure out a locking mechanism for our Prime Time Tracer Breeze with an electric awning. This was scarey to have unfold in front of us.

Tim
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

Deploying the awning while traveling is a serious problem! For my non-electric awning, in addition to the roll-up lock, the rafter securing screw and the "click" plastic retainer, I use a hook & loop fastener near the top of the main supports to further prevent opening. Not sure if that can work on the electric-opening awnings.
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Two Step awning on the 5th wheeler. It has two wrap around straps on the main awning roller plus level locks on both both arms.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That looked like wind got in the rolls of awning material and ballooned it out. The arms had no choice but to come out. Other than tightening down the arm nuts (donít know if that would have helped or not) What are thoughts on securing power awnings?

On a couple older awnings Iíve had, I kept arms tight with small bunjee cords, but the main arms stood off side of trailer.

At least the guys saw it.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I installed an awning lock after hearing about others opening while traveling.

http://awninglock.com/

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #6

Awning lock works !I would not own an rv and not install one .They are very easy to install and use !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
That looked like wind got in the rolls of awning material and ballooned it out. The arms had no choice but to come out. Other than tightening down the arm nuts (donít know if that would have helped or not) What are thoughts on securing power awnings?

On a couple older awnings Iíve had, I kept arms tight with small bunjee cords, but the main arms stood off side of trailer.

At least the guys saw it.

Yes, the air got in the awning and deployed it. The preventive measure I see is something like suggested to prevent the awning roll from unrolling. Subduing the arms was not enough in this case.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

My last outing I was looking at how to remove the awning entirely. I really wish they were optional on RVs because I don't want one.

I couldn't figure out how you'd remove the cloth material from where it attaches to the RV. On mine there's a rain gutter than has a round slot area below that the awning fits into. I don't know what you do to make that slip forward/backward or out to remove it.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
My last outing I was looking at how to remove the awning entirely. I really wish they were optional on RVs because I don't want one.

I couldn't figure out how you'd remove the cloth material from where it attaches to the RV. On mine there's a rain gutter than has a round slot area below that the awning fits into. I don't know what you do to make that slip forward/backward or out to remove it.

The awning material is actually pretty easy to remove. At each end of the channel the awning is mounted in, there is a retaining screw. Remove that screw and the awning material should pull out. You may have to lubricate the awning material with some dish soap to help in its removal.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
The awning material is actually pretty easy to remove. At each end of the channel the awning is mounted in, there is a retaining screw. Remove that screw and the awning material should pull out. You may have to lubricate the awning material with some dish soap to help in its removal.
I'll look again, but I didn't see any screws. I was assuming there might be a plug inserted at each end, but it wasn't obvious.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

Mine has a metal cover that keeps it protected when rolled up. Not sure it's even possible for that to happen.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I installed an awning lock after hearing about others opening while traveling.

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Apparently sold out, but it doesn't look like it would be that hard to make something similar. I'll look to see what I can do on mine.

They also have the most boring Youtube video of all times!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Mine has a metal cover that keeps it protected when rolled up. Not sure it's even possible for that to happen.
My class A had those. Those are great for more than just that, keeps the sun off of them too. It was a 2005, and even with 15 years and 109,000 miles, they still looked and operated like new.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

So does mine and that was my thought also until Dav L here on iRV2 had his unfurl and trash the roof.

I immediately ordered the lock. My thought was better safe than sorry.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning