Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad to know this did not cause a bad accident. Good job handling things.

Good to know the Mass DOT was on the job and helpful.

I agree with the suggestion to change the tires in a set.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #16

It’s been out a few years now and initially the Carlisle Radial Trail HD had good reviews. I have them on my tent trailer with no problems. That’s the only other tire I would recommend researching in addition to Maxxis and GY Endurance.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #17

I have been saying this for years. ST tires are not built to the same standard that LT tires are built to. That looks like the tire was not vulcanized correctly so it came apart. I have have seen 4 similar ST tire blowouts on trailers I was towing. One on a boat trailer.

The two tires that you mentioned would be my recommendation. I like the Endurace for the speed rating. Maybe compare the weight of each tire and buy the heavier one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #18

I would go with Goodyear’s or Sailun. Both have very good reputations.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been reading lots of suggestions that, in general, 3 years is about the life expectancy of a trailer tire. Is this true of high quality tires like the GY or Maxxis? I realize that trailer tires are under more load and subject to more abuse, especially scrubbing during turns, but 3 years and less than 6K miles seems like a really short life to me.

I was also reading the road hazard coverage offered by some of the tire companies and they seem to cut off at 3 years as well. So, that might answer my question. Should I be looking at replacing every 3 years regardless of brand and mileage?
Old 08-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been reading lots of suggestions that, in general, 3 years is about the life expectancy of a trailer tire. Is this true of high quality tires like the GY or Maxxis? I realize that trailer tires are under more load and subject to more abuse, especially scrubbing during turns, but 3 years and less than 6K miles seems like a really short life to me.

I was also reading the road hazard coverage offered by some of the tire companies and they seem to cut off at 3 years as well. So, that might answer my question. Should I be looking at replacing every 3 years regardless of brand and mileage?

I usually go 4 years. If you never overload, and keep proper pressures they should make it fine. You usually get dry rot from ozone exposure long before the tread is done.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #21

Not trying to hijack the thread, but a couple related questions.

1. I've heard that with a tandem axle trailer, if you have a blowout on a busy highway, you can safely drive on 3 tires and pull off to a safer location to change out for the spare. True? Any words of caution? Sounded like a decent risk tradeoff to me. Less risky to drive on 3 tires for a few miles to the next exit than change a tire with car whizzing by at 80mph.

2. Nobody mentioned a scissor jack. Are those ill advised, or ok options for emergency situations, assuming they meet the load requirements?
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but a couple related questions.

1. I've heard that with a tandem axle trailer, if you have a blowout on a busy highway, you can safely drive on 3 tires and pull off to a safer location to change out for the spare. True? Any words of caution? Sounded like a decent risk tradeoff to me. Less risky to drive on 3 tires for a few miles to the next exit than change a tire with car whizzing by at 80mph.

If you look closely at the right side of the picture in post #14, you will see the risk of continuing, even as slow speeds, with a blown tire. If it were just a flat or even a side wall blow out, you might be able to continue on 3 tires at a slow speed for less than a mile. However, a lot of the blow outs, especially with the china bombs, start with tread de-lamination, the tread separating from the casing. The catastrophic failure causes further tread separation. The loose flap of tread and steel belts tends to rip the fenders, side skirting, and flooring above the tires off the trailer during the initial blow out. The further you drive with that flapping tread and steel belts, the more potential damage to the trailer. Depending on which tire and your axle spacing, this could also destroy the 2nd tire on that side. You also risk damage to the rim by continuing on. Obviously, you have to evaluate these risks against the safety risks in where you stop. I certainly wouldn't stop in the middle of a traffic lane, but would pull off as soon as relatively safely possible.

The tire in the picture was the front tire on the passenger side and I pulled over pretty much immediately after it happened. This tire was the 2nd blow out. The first blow out ripped the plastic fender skirt from around the tires. This one ripped the metal skirting forward of the tires off. I was a little slower in pulling over after the first blow out, but not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
2. Nobody mentioned a scissor jack. Are those ill advised, or ok options for emergency situations, assuming they meet the load requirements?

I would not want to try to use a scissor jack. It's difficult enough to get under the trailer on the side of the road. As I mentioned, I've traveled way too many times with that as the only option and I just put the bottle jack in this time on last minute afterthought. The bottle jack I put in was a cheap standard hydraulic bottle jack. I think it was around 7-8 inches tall which was too tall to get under the axle at the flat. I wound up using the bottle jack to jack at the leaf spring enough to raise the axle just enough to get the height to put the bottle jack under the axle. Then I used the screw type factory scissor jack from my truck as a jack stand to reposition the bottle jack. I will be getting a shorty bottle jack to keep in the trailer.

I've kept a 4 way lug wrench in the trailer since I bought it, but I was glad not to have to use it. The "right" tools make things much easier. So here is what I will carry in my truck from now on:

• Ryobi 1/2" impact driver
  • Impact lug sockets
  • 1/2" torque wrench
  • "Stubby" or "shorty" bottle jack
  • work gloves (those wires are sharp and everything is dirty).
  • A second spare for the trailer

I used the impact driver to remove the wheels and snug the lug nuts after putting the spare on. Sure you could get by with a lug wrench, but the impact driver is much less work. You can also go by "feel" for tightening the lugs, but I much prefer to know I'm right than guess. I also make sure to stop after driving a short distance, 10-20 miles, and re-check the lug torque. Not sure if its the way the wheel sits when initially torquing them or what, but there will often be 1 or 2 lug nuts that need to be tightened.

Also note, I've always heard that when you have a blow out, expect the other one on that side to fail soon after. I had planned to replace at least the 2nd tire on that side. My gut said to do it at the time, but as I indicated, the only tires available were more China tires. So, I hoped to make it home and then replace it. I didn't make it. I will be replacing all four tires now, including the new china tire. I will move the new china tire to a new spare rim and keep the original spare as well.

There may be many reasons for the failure of the second tire. First, all of the tires were the same age and subjected to the same use. So if one failed, absent road hazards, the remaining 3 may be as likely to fail. Second, when one tire fails, the remaining tire is overloaded. Third, as noted above, there is a potential for damage from the first tire failure.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #23

My experience with blowouts.

Tandam axle - I drove 1/4 mile to an exit then pulled off the road. Lucky the tire stayed together and did not cause damage.

Tandam axle - I drove 200 yards and pulled off the road. The tire caused damage.

Tandam axle - I drove 200 yards and pulled off the road. The tire caused damage.

Single axle - I heard a humm and saw the tire was going bad. I drove slow about 15 miles trying to make it home. But 10 miles from home the tire lost air and I pulled over immediately. The tire did not cause damage. (This was a boat on a trailer).

All my tire issues happened with easy exits or places to pull off the road. I am thinking I used up all my luck.

You run the risk of damage if you keep driving with a blown tire. As it comes apart the rubber slaps the trailer really hard.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:30 AM   #24

x3 on Trailer-Aid... the taller one.
My flat on interstate, pulled off at next exit, hospital parking lot. It took longer to get the stuff out than it did to change the flat.
The Trailer-Aid worked fine with a 2x6 under it. Trailer-Aid alone would not lift the flat tire enough to get the spare on.
I've also used a high curb to change a flat before the Trailer-Aid came along.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote