Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
HOW TO INSTALL A SOUTHERN HOME SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to Goodwill and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads ......

Bubba,

Me and Marcel, Donnie Ray and Jimmy Earl went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the mailman this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the trailer. They should be sleeping. Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter

(Not original. Been on the web awhile.)
Great plan, but they are in Canada. Maybe Doug and Bob went for more beers and back bacon.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Great plan, but they are in Canada. Maybe Doug and Bob went for more beers and back bacon.
I thought of suggesting one of the signs saying this area is protected by Smith and Wesson before noticing it was Canada.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I thought of suggesting one of the signs saying this area is protected by Smith and Wesson before noticing it was Canada.

Just cause it's Canada don't mean we can't shoot. [emoji23]
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post

Yep. There's still hunting, and some of my friends have taken rifles and shotguns in.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
And I don't think I know of anyone that doesn't have at least one gun up here. Most of us have half a dozen or so it seems. Just not so many handguns. I do live in the country though.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscheck View Post
The reason I started this thread was that I am new to this "drag and drop" way of camping. This is our first TT and dropping it off at your camping spot whether CG or boon docking and leaving it for the day while we take the truck out and hike or bike all day is all new. We have had TC's since "85" so the truck and camper were always with us. Dry and boondock camping is what we do. I figured that without some sort of security on the coupler, ball, wheels etc. anyone could pull away our home in the bush(TT) very easily when we are away all day. Lots of good advise here and after watching some of the videos on how easy it is to remove some of these security locks and chains, the one thing that stands out is, if someone wants your trailer or stuff inside and no one is around, they can do it with a few simple tools(crowbars, angle grinders with a good diamond blade, lock picking tools etc).

I think a good coupler lock like the Proven Industries model could deter some of the thiefs. Have good insurance and hope all of the folks around you in a 1000 mile radius are honest.

Thanks.

Dave
I am like you. I would love to boondock and go on hikes. But like you it would always be in the back of my mind that the TT is vulnerable for being robbed or stolen.

I think the only think that works is having someone stay at the site with the camper.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #35

I boondock 3/4 of my time, the last two months was 38 days out of 50 on various national and state lands. At times we are gone from the trailer for up to 14 hours and I do not overly worry about theft. My campsite is established, often the quad is chained up to the trailer, but my theft deterrence is paying my insurance plus keeping a detailed list of high value items stored on the cloud.

Just as with anything, if they want it bad enough the can get it. All the little do dads and tricks are only to keep an honest man honest, nor do I think that there is always a person driving by scoping out my set up to steal it all. If it ever did happen then, I call my insurance, send them the spreadsheet, get a hotel room and start shopping. I didn't lose a loved one and I don't have a stick in my eye so no reason crying.

It takes me around an hour to get, "Base Station Alpha Go"' as we like to call leaving, and if I keep adding more tasks to it in the name of theft deterrence then I may never get to my next site.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmaestas View Post
I ran across this the other day...I will be purchasing one befor our first trip this spring.https://youtu.be/V7b81mazNlg
I have this lock. Great design very easy to install. Powder coated and the lock is recessed. Your safety chain hooks go inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Nice! Actually looks pretty solid compared to most hitch locks.
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I think the whole concern is a bit overblown. Do trailers get stolen and used as meth factories? Yes they do, but how many trailers are out there and what is the percentage of them that get stolen? I would guess that more are stolen from people's driveways or from storage yards than get stolen from people who are actively using them while out boondocking. From the theif's perspective you might show at any minute and be armed. Personally I put a padlock on the hitch, buy good insurance, and then don't worry about it. I just haven't seen roving bands of trailer thieves rambling around in the woods with pickup trucks stealing trailers. RV's are just stuff and stuff can be replaced.
They tried to steal mine.
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
They tried to steal mine.
We've had them stolen around here. There was one stolen from an RV park we stayed at some time back.

There seems to be a train of thought that if it's possible to steal something there's no point in trying to discourage it -- if they want it they'll get it. And maybe that's true of the professional thief or a really determined thief determined to get your RV. Maybe he's targeted yours because he really likes it and plans to show up with the right tools to get it.

But what percentage of thieves are professionals versus opportunists? If a potential thief runs across your bumper pull sitting alone and unguarded with no lock on it is he more or less likely to steal it than he would be if it were locked? How likely is he to have the necessary tools to get through whatever lock you choose? How willing is he to take the additional time -- and risk -- to get your lock off when you could be back any minute?

Of course there's no way to absolutely guarantee nobody will steal your RV. But if a good lock will deter some portion of potential thieves from getting it, is that not worthwhile?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #39

based on this thread I ordered a proven industries lock. Just got it in the mail. Now I just need my trailer to get here from ORV!!

AJ
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
based on this thread I ordered a proven industries lock. Just got it in the mail. Now I just need my trailer to get here from ORV!!

AJ
OP here. Same lock is a few days behind yours.

The whole point of this thread was to ask for some way of detering potential trailer thieves when we leave for the whole day and we are in the boonies. As i said, new to this TT towing game. Thought that even with the electric tongue jack immobilized, anyone with a jackall, or hydraulic jack, could raise the tongue high enough to attach to a truck with just about any size of ball and byby trailer.

Lots of good ideas like tongue locks, some that can be broken in 3 seconds with a sledge hammer. Also, leave my slide out and remove fuse for motor. One thing that becomes obvious is that with enough time and privacy and proper equipment even the Statue of Liberty could be heisted.

Thanks for all the info.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #41

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post

AJ

Let is know how you like the lock and if you think it's pretty heavy duty or not when locked thanks
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Let is know how you like the lock and if you think it's pretty heavy duty or not when locked thanks
Okie Dokie

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking