Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #1

Keystone Premier A/C Systems

I like to know if anyone is having trouble keeping their Premier cool during the day my premier is 38 ft long has one ac unit and is 30 amp. I went to Delaware recently and during the day the ac unit could not keep the unit cool but at night the ac unit did cool off the camper. my premier is a 30RIPR
edela62011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I'm not familiar with that brand, but it's tough these days to keep cool.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

Having one A/C in a 38’ trailer is not enough when exposed to above 90 degree temps. Did it come with an option to add a second? If so it may not be too difficult to add another one.
If temps are going to be hot that day it’s best to cool down the trailer as much as possible in the am. Once you get behind, it’s nearly impossible for the A/C to catch up.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #4

I do not have the option to add a second unit according to the dealer where i bought the unit
edela62011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edela62011 View Post
I do not have the option to add a second unit according to the dealer where i bought the unit

Apologies, overlooked the 30 amp. With that size I just thought automatically 50 amps.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #6

Agree, one A/C unit is not enough. I had a 50amp 5th wheel with two A/C units but in Virginia through a hot summer I spent a lot of time in the cool bedroom with the door closed while in a 30amp campground.

If you have A/C vents that you can close pick and area in your trailer and close all the other vents. You can probably only keep half the trailer cool is my guess.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #7

If you have another roof vent, add the 2nd A/C there....run a seperate plug and cord to the 20amp plug-in on the pedestal....add Reflectix to the windows and line your upper cabinets if you have them......for the 2nd A/C, i'd go with a non ducted type, but you can always tunnel the roof insulation if you need to....my ceiling is styrofoam....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
30 amps and one A/C is no where near enough to cool a 38 foot trailer. The trailer should be 50 amp and two A/C units as a minimum. This brand of trailer, like many others are not insulated very well and really suffer in the heat and humidity. Specs show 36' length, and that still needs 2 A/C units.

You can look into converting it to 50 amps and adding a second A/C or mount an additional unit and wire it to an independent 20 amp circuit. Most campgrounds with a 50 amp plug will also have a 30 amp plug and a 20 amp plug in the pedestal.

Many manufactures of trailers that are 38 foot and longer are offering them with a 3rd unit option now.

Some trailers are well insulated and suited better for heat or cold. We have been in 109 degF and direct sun and can keep our 40 ft 5er at 77 degF and the units will cycle off. It has two 15,000 BTUH units, dual pane windows and a radiant heat barrier...and weighs 19,000 lb.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

Many TT's are sold with one A/C in northern states. Older TT's were often sold with none.

Times change, but old practices still apply. Fans of various types make a big difference. You can run a area fan like a box fan any place you can run your A/C even with a 30 amp service. In Pennsylvania, you can get by using a box fan with the A/C almost all the time. In Arizona, not so much.

I dry camp in Wisconsin a lot. I have never used my one A/C. I have a 12 volt Fantastic Fan that keeps me cool during the heat of the day. I don't travel to Arizona until winter.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #10

Possible A/C improvements

Many iRV2 threads have discussed poorly installed deducted A/C. Many have found block air ducts. Miss-aligned air duct connections. Construction material in the ducts or never cut through.

It is worth a look.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #11

I agree with prior comments you have a lot of trailer + poor insulation + too little a/c to cover that volume. Cheapest thing you can do, especially if ducted, is to remove inside plenum cover, foil tape the heck out of any gaps, leak areas, add foam strip to ensure intake and outflow sides are fully separated. Also that filter is clean. I would go on top and check coils to make sure all clean. Unsure how much it will help, but cheap and less than an hour of time.
Teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, keystone