Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Keystone quality/ TT purchase advice

Im looking at upgrading from a pop up and am looking at a Keystone TT. The particular model is a 171EXP Hybrid its a 2016. Just wondering if its a decent brand or if there is anything to watch out for as im new in the game. It seems like it is in good shape other then some stains on the canvas.
racetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Keystone is not really known for quality. I group then with a myriad of other cheaper builders. Look for staples and loose trim pieces., tires, axle rating which is stamped on the axle. See if the axle ratings plus tongue weight equal GVWR of the trailer. Sometimes the they use cheaper axles that will not carry much more cargo.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Thank you. Ill look it over good and check out the axles. It may not be the best quality but its in my price range, and will not see much use. The canvas bed ends are both stained with mildew from being put away wet, so im gonna see if I can get the price down for that and anything else I find.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

I would guess the canvas is normal in any used trailer as it is just the nature of the beast. I had new boats and tried to keep the new canvas pristine. After 5 years the canvas still looked ok...but it was far from pristine.

A scrub brush and mild soap will clean it up ok. Mildew comes off for the most part.

I have had leaves fall from a tree and stain my boat canvas. 90% comes out but 10% of the stain remains. I was told not to use any bleach products as that weakens the threads where the canvas is sewn together.

If the trailer looks clean that is a key.

Oh, Do you know if you can walk on the roof?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

I went and looked it over. The canvas looks like it sat out in the elements for years, under trees, like they had it set up and just left it set up. I mean its in good condition just very dirty. The camper is kinda dirty inside also like they have not cleaned it, there was even some personal items from the previous owners still in the camper. The power awning works, The gas furnace works and the fridge and freezer. I even crawled under it and the axles are rated at what the sticker says, 3000 each. It is far from pristine and looks well used, but overall its solid and has no signs of water damage. Other then needing a good cleaning and 4 new tires i cannot complain about the condition. Going to think on it for the weekend.
Oh and why would I want to know if I can walk on the roof, is that a good test and should I be able to walk on it with no problem?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

I have a MC & a Keystone Passport TT. I crawl on the Keystone roof. I recommend a few things: upgrade the water pump (loud), check the outside shower enclosure (has holes that allow the heat/cold into the TT), golf cart batteries (unless constant shore power), microwave condensation. It’s still a good TT for the price point.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I own a Keystone Hideout bought in 2016 and it has been trouble free. It is the only TT I have ever own.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

We have a Keystone Outback and we've had good luck with it. 2 1/2 years and over 13K miles of trips. Sometimes it seems like it just depends on what day it rolled off the assembly line. You can drop $90K on a Van Leigh Vilano and still have troubles.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #9

I own a Keystone Bullet and I love it. I've had minor issues with trim. I've added a little Gorilla Glue here and there, and even a screw in a place or two.

New trailers off the lot usually require new tires immediately. I have "E" tires on mine and I'll replace them with "G" rated tires before my first big trip. Other than that, I'm stoked!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had two Aerolite products which fell under the Keystone banner. I thought it was a good middle of the road product until you had to deal with Keystone's warranty department. Came to a point I would never buy another RV that I had to deal with Keystone again. The simplest things they would fight you tooth and nail....My one "main" issue ( slide issue) a 5 year old would see it was a 100% design / build issue. The tech who finally worked on it agreed 100%.

We now have a ORV (Outdoors RV) Timber Ridge unit which dealing with ORV is night and day compared with Keystone...The ORV product is a very stout unit built to higher strength standards. Yes, they are heavy, and a few $$$ more, but built like tanks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

For a hybrid, include a couple of the Forest River products. Rockwood Roo, or Flagstaff Shamrock.

Two basically identical trailers with different brand labels, depending on geography and dealer territory. I like to think the Flagstaff Shamrock can be the better deal used, since the Rockwood Roo's have such a loyal following.

I seem to always go against the grain, I still think the Hybrid is a great solution/bridge between the standard popup and a full-sized travel trailer. Sure you still have to deal with the tent aspects, but you also get some very nice interior features and lots of space in a relatively small footprint package.

Most folks say just go ahead and get the larger trailer, since you're over halfway there with the hybrid. To answer your original question, if I were a hybrid buyer, I'd choose the Forest River before the Keystone.

Here's an example of a used Shamrock with a kitchen slide: looks pretty clean at first glance for a used trailer.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...1DK-5006661164

"Ahem..."
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/r...829905136.html
Older hybrid, but look at the condition of the exterior decals, appears to have been stored inside most of the time. A bigger trailer, so verify your tow capacity, maybe pay to have it inspected by a certified RV tech. Appears it could deliver a lot for the money.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
I have a MC & a Keystone Passport TT. I crawl on the Keystone roof. I recommend a few things: upgrade the water pump (loud), check the outside shower enclosure (has holes that allow the heat/cold into the TT), golf cart batteries (unless constant shore power), microwave condensation. It’s still a good TT for the price point.
Any suggestions for the water pump? Didn't realize they made quieter versions. Our Palomino/Solaire pump is really loud and I'd love to have a quieter one.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #13

Ah yes, and then there's the warranty. Good point!

I have a rubber seal around the exterior of the dining window that needs to be fixed. It's sticking out at the bottom corner. I had a warranty appointment, and after waiting about an hour and a half, I was told I'll need to bring it back after they contact Keystone and receive the part. That was a week ago.

If I knew how to remove and re-install the window, I'd fix it myself.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
I seem to always go against the grain, I still think the Hybrid is a great solution/bridge between the standard popup and a full-sized travel trailer. Sure you still have to deal with the tent aspects, but you also get some very nice interior features and lots of space in a relatively small footprint package.

Most folks say just go ahead and get the larger trailer, since you're over halfway there with the hybrid. To answer your original question, if I were a hybrid buyer, I'd choose the Forest River before the Keystone.

Here's an example of a used Shamrock with a kitchen slide: looks pretty clean at first glance for a used trailer.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...1DK-5006661164

"Ahem..."
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/r...829905136.html
Older hybrid, but look at the condition of the exterior decals, appears to have been stored inside most of the time. A bigger trailer, so verify your tow capacity, maybe pay to have it inspected by a certified RV tech. Appears it could deliver a lot for the money.
We had two Aerolite hybrids (2005 & 2013) Both bought new, over 13 seasons had about 780 nights of use. Yes, the hybrids are a value investment for the usable size they are. Especially with the two RV queen sized beds.

As with any RV trailer purchase there is a large difference in price between dealers. The 2013 my hometown dealer wanted $19.5 plus my 2005 trade. Found another dealer 2-3 hours away at $9800 plus my trade. ( in the end I sold my trade for $2k more, so the 2013 Aerolite cost $15,500. And this was a cash deal, so it had nothing to do with getting credit...

Even our present RV bought 18 months ago. Between the 4-5 dealers I received quotes from, there was a $8-10,000 difference between dealers.

* Pic of my last Aerolite with a couch / kitchen slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729(2).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	240377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	240378  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote