Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #1

Komfort 28tsr Mods, Upgrades, and Projects

Taking my cue from KM Rolling, among others, I decided I'd like to document the things I've done to make our new-to-us 2004 Komfort 28tsr trailer. And I'll even toss in some stuff the previous owner did that I think are pretty cool. It's all in random order, of course.

(This first post is a little experimental as far as embedding photos. I haven't uploaded any of my pix to a host, so I'm just attaching the first to see what it will look like.)

The PO installed new laminate wood flooring. He said he'd also installed plywood over the existing subfloor to add more substance to the floor. Unfortunately, he neglected to glue and screw the new to the old, and now every step we take makes the floor squeek. No biggie, and the new laminate looks quite good, but there's no sneaking home at 4 am!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_213800.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	250585  
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

I'm also looking for new metal floor vent grills. These plastic units are cracking, and I'd like to walk across the floor without having to dodge them. I've found some that I like, but they are 10X3, and my floor openings are 10X2.5-ish. I'll have to enlarge the holes a bit to fit standard house-sized vents. That project is on The List!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #3

This next mod took a little searching to make it work, and many thanks to those who posted wiring diagrams!

I replaced the stock analogue Dometic thermostat with this digital Honeywell RTH7460D programmable unit. When I finally got it working (after two days of searching and sketching and pondering) I was overjoyed! My A/C and furnace now come on automatically, without me having to manually switch between "heat" and "cool".

The systems are programmed to turn down (furnace) and up (a/c) during the day when I'm at work (I'm full-timing this summer while working away from home), and to adjust to a nice, comfortable temp when I get home. It then adjusts again when I go to bed, and warms/cools for me when I get up - all by itself! It's cut down on my propane and a/c usage significantly!

(The temps are in Celcius, by the way. I'm another one of those dang Canadians...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_210601.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	250587  
Old 06-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #4

More to come...
Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

The previous owner installed this Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. I really like it, it's thermostatically controlled and has 3 speeds (I keep it on low). I only wish it was reversable. It's be nice to pull in a little fresh air every now and then. I like a bit of moving air when I sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_212433.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	250648  
Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

I added the Max Air cover to the Fantastic Fan vent in the bedroom so I don't have to worry about getting rained on when I'm away or sleeping. It was an easy install, but my first measurements weren't accurate, so I had to move the mounts after my first attempt. Not really sure what went wrong the first time, unless it was because I had the vent open about 4" when I first measured it, and closed the second time. So lesson learned: install your vent covers with the vent closed!

I have a second cover for the bathroom vent, I'll post that up when it's done...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_205922.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	250650  
Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

My first shower revealed a problem that was easy to fix. The hose on the shower head was too short! A quick trip to my local Wally World solved that problem! I swapped the short plastic hose for a much longer hose that does the job and can stay threaded through the loop on the wall that was already installed. I'm going to zip tie the hose to the loop to keep it from sliding down. When I turned the water on to test for leaks I had a major fountain from where the hose joins the shower head. Turns out I needed to add a rubber washer from the old hose to get a proper seal. So that end now has two rubber washers. And I'm very happy in the shower!

This is my first trailer with a working shower. I was concerned that 6 gallons of hot water would be enough to shower with. Turns out that it is. I can take a thorough shower without hurrying and just start to run out when I'm done. If I add a valve at the shower head to enable easy "navy" showers there's be plenty for two showers back-to-back.

I'm running on straight electric hot water, too. I think I'd get more rapid recovery if I ran the gas at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_210408.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	250653  
Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Looks like some awesome upgrades/mods!!!

Wanted to also welcome you and your's to the forums.

Looking forward to seeing more mods and upgrades that you are doing. :-)
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

Thanks Stinger! Seems like a real good group of folks here, I've been learning tons!

When I first got this trailer I had a difficult time with one of the stabilizer jacks. It was stiff and a bit rusty, so I greased the threaded rod and ran the jack up and down a few times to get the grease worked in. And then I greased the other three jacks.

And then I came out to the campground here and discovered that my stabilizer jacks don't stay up!!! I screwed them out with my cordless drill, and when I pulled the drill off the jacks they started unwinding! All by themselves! My old trailer jacks didn't do that!!! I guess I discovered I shouldn't have greased the threaded rod...

Well, I hit the Google box looking for how to degrease and fix my jacks, and stumbled across these babies. Sizzer Jack Nut Locks. They fit over the nut and jam against the side of the jack, preventing any unscrewing. Genius! Ordered a set and fixed the unscrewing problem instantly. I guess I'm not the only guy whose jacks unscrew on their own!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_205850.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	250767  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Oh wow! Would have not thought of that!

I'm going to look into them myself for future possible issues.

Good find man!!!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

The previous owner installed a magnetic strip under the overhead kitchen cabinet. As drawer space is at a premium in this unit, and the drawers are shallow, this is a great alternative!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_212047.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	251497  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #12

The door knob to the bathroom failed - couldn't twist it, like it was locked, but it's not a locking knob. Took it apart and the latch mechanism had jammed. It's mainly plastic, so I just bought a new domestic door knob for $13 and installed it. It took some work, because the diameter of the new mechanism is larger then the old one (of course), but it's in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190721_113352_01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	254080  
Old 07-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #13

Previous owner had installed a 32" flatscreen, I replaced it with a 40" (scavenged from our old 5th wheel).

I then added an Onkyo 5.1 home theater amp with Energy bookshelf speakers, a little Onkyo center channel speaker, and a small Acoustic Audio subwoofer (not in the photo), for a nice 3.1 home theater experience. I'll be tweaking the audio system a bit - need a better center channel speaker.

I'm mentally engineering a better built-in solution for the TV. There's a ton of wasted space behind it and the audio system that I'd like to be able to access. Stay tuned! (hee hee, see what I did there?)

I then moved the 32" into the bedroom to replace the 12" that was there. Ahhhh, that's better!

(Note: wiring for the bedroom TV still to be determined. The cable you see hanging down is the HDMI cable that's connected - temporarily - to my laptop. More to come!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_211538.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	254085   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_212343.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	254086  

Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Cool upgrades!!!! It'll be well suited for you for sure. Great job!!!!!!!!!

Tags
projects, upgrade