Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

KZ Connect Safety Recall

I own a 2021 KZ C272FK and just received a Safety Recall notice stating that due to an engineering error the tongue weight is to lite. This explains why I ended up sliding sideways down the highway. I've owned this camper a few short months it has a great floor plan but you're risking your life if you tow it. KZ says they need to remove the axles and relocate them reward about 7.5" all I need to do is tow it to an authorized dealer for the repair. I asked if they would tow it and how about a fair exchange? Nope, "all you want is a new camper." Ahh yeah cause that's what I paid for! You tow it and we'll fix it with our new engineering design that's it.

What would you do?
frankjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjc1 View Post
I own a 2021 KZ C272FK and just received a Safety Recall notice stating that due to an engineering error the tongue weight is to lite. This explains why I ended up sliding sideways down the highway. I've owned this camper a few short months it has a great floor plan but you're risking your life if you tow it. KZ says they need to remove the axles and relocate them reward about 7.5" all I need to do is tow it to an authorized dealer for the repair. I asked if they would tow it and how about a fair exchange? Nope, "all you want is a new camper." Ahh yeah cause that's what I paid for! You tow it and we'll fix it with our new engineering design that's it.

What would you do?

I would contact a lawyer and find out if a whole new trailer is possible as it’s still new
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #3

It varies from state to state, but generally, the manufacturer can choose to either repair, replace, or refund. If they offered you one of these, the ball is now in your court.

Best of luck.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

If you can stay on back roads would be safer than the highway. If you like the floor plan and like to afford hassle I would take back roads and take it in to have the axles repositioned.

But this make me wonder if axles are always positioned in the very best place on the frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

The way I see it you have two choices here.
1. Throw some weight in the front and go get it fixed.
I'd be asking for some kind of compensation too.
Like a few thousand.
2. Tell them you are not interested in their "fix" and demand a full refund.

BTW
I'm not buying your used trailer in a few years when I see there has been a major remodeling job underneath it either.
Food for thought.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

Tow it and get it fixed. No guaranty that the next trailer you buy won't have some other issue that won't fix it's self.
It's not rocket science to move axles. Only issue is what about the fender skirting? How will that look when done?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Tow it and get it fixed. No guaranty that the next trailer you buy won't have some other issue that won't fix it's self.
It's not rocket science to move axles. Only issue is what about the fender skirting? How will that look when done?
Very good point Sir.
I see a lot of problems thereClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-145846_Chrome.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	343179
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

I've been in contact with KZRV at this point they are only 1 solution, I tow it to an authorized dealer for the repair. There is no consideration on their part regarding the fact this is a new camper, their comment that "I'm only looking to get a new camper" expresses their attitude toward their "engineering error."
Old 09-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #9

Which state do you reside in? Which state did you buy the camper from? You can always file a lawsuit in small claims court against KZ claiming that their “engineering error” (which is NOT a warranty claim) has caused economic damage and now loss of use of said camper and you want them to make you financially whole again. I also would file a BBB complaint against KZ.

And just for good measure, I’d call your states DOT office and ask them their thoughts on you towing your TT with such light tongue weight. If they say you shouldn’t tow it then I’d use that as leverage against KZ.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #10

Interesting thoughts Backcountry1. As you suggest there is a difference between a Safety Recall and a Warranty and to this point KZRV has continued to refer to this as a warranty issue, "our warranty policy does not include towing." The matter of small claims court has limitations, Connecticut limits claims to $5,000. I've been in touch with the BBB and the Department of Consumer Protection and they are looking into it but as we know they take time, I will however give a call to the DOT and get their opinion. Even my insurance company wrote a letter saying they would take action against KZRV if an accident should occur due to the Safety Recall but that didn't budge them. I did speak with the dealer where I bought the TT and asked if they would help me out with a trade-in, I figure I'll lose money if I sue KZRV on attorney fees so maybe I can minimize that loss and put a portion of the "retainer fee" towards a new TT. Still waiting their response
Thanks for your input
Old 09-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Interesting thoughts Backcountry1. As you suggest there is a difference between a Safety Recall and a Warranty and to this point KZRV has continued to refer to this as a warranty issue, "our warranty policy does not include towing." The matter of small claims court has limitations, Connecticut limits claims to $5,000. I've been in touch with the BBB and the Department of Consumer Protection and they are looking into it but as we know they take time, I will however give a call to the DOT and get their opinion. Even my insurance company wrote a letter saying they would take action against KZRV if an accident should occur due to the Safety Recall but that didn't budge them. I did speak with the dealer where I bought the TT and asked if they would help me out with a trade-in, I figure I'll lose money if I sue KZRV on attorney fees so maybe I can minimize that loss and put a portion of the "retainer fee" towards a new TT. Still waiting their response
Thanks for your input
Why would you want to lose money trading in? You can tow it for fuel money, it will be fixed and like new and you won't lose $$$ trading it in.
I've been a welder on construction jobs and as a DIY'er at home for 45 years. I've built a few utility trailers in my time. This is an easy job for someone with metal working skills. The tricky part IMO is removing the side skirting and relocating the wheel wells and adding the new wheel well trim.
If you have buyers remorse about the floor plan and there's other things that you now realize you don't like about the TT then the axle issue is as good a reason as any to trade it.
I have a TT that I wish the axles were a foot or so more rearward and would be tickled to death if they were moved for free.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #12

Interesting thoughts Cumminsfan. The last I heard was KZRV was going to bolt the relocated axles and not weld them. Some of the authorized repair centers don't have the equipment to lift/block the frame so the axles can be cut from the frame. I also understand that the body skirts, wheel wells and wheel well covers are to be replaced but I've not received anything in writing.
As for the TT layout, I really like it, it's just what I was looking for and I'm real glad I was able to buy it. My concerns are, towing it to a repair center (it won't travel over 35 mph safely) the future trade in value and the safety of hand weld vs factory machine weld. Considering my 1st trip out the family ended up with us sliding sideways down the highway (pre-recall notice), I had just enough wit to keep it from jacking, I'm a little skiddish now. Tongue weight makes a huge difference.
Thank you though, your welding experience makes is seem like not to bad a repair.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Interesting thoughts Cumminsfan. The last I heard was KZRV was going to bolt the relocated axles and not weld them. Some of the authorized repair centers don't have the equipment to lift/block the frame so the axles can be cut from the frame. I also understand that the body skirts, wheel wells and wheel well covers are to be replaced but I've not received anything in writing.
As for the TT layout, I really like it, it's just what I was looking for and I'm real glad I was able to buy it. My concerns are, towing it to a repair center (it won't travel over 35 mph safely) the future trade in value and the safety of hand weld vs factory machine weld. Considering my 1st trip out the family ended up with us sliding sideways down the highway (pre-recall notice), I had just enough wit to keep it from jacking, I'm a little skiddish now. Tongue weight makes a huge difference.
Thank you though, your welding experience makes is seem like not to bad a repair.
I'm pretty sure the frames are welded by hand. Look at the welds. Machine welds look perfect.
I also highly doubt they will bolt the spring hangers to the frame. Never seen that done on a big trailer frame.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'm pretty sure the frames are welded by hand. Look at the welds. Machine welds look perfect.
I also highly doubt they will bolt the spring hangers to the frame. Never seen that done on a big trailer frame.
I too own a 272FK and the instructions the dealer has requires them to bolt the new hangers to the HSS (hallow structural steel) of the trailer frame. As best as I could tell there is no requirement for a through sleeve added to the HSS or a mounting pad welded to the HSS. Nor does it instruct them to use a mag base drill. Also from what I could tell each hanger will only be attached with a single 3/8"-16 grade 5 bolt (I hope I am wrong about that). Don't hit any potholes at highway speed.
We too like our trailer and the floor plan and I am sympathetic to the dealer as this is not a common repair for them. KZ should have supplied a jig to locate and align the new hangers instead they ask the dealer to measure from the existing welded on hanger whoes width or hole location may or may not be the same as the other. To much to list what I don't like about this repair on this safety recall.
If you are an owner and have had it done to your 272FK how did it turn out?
mikemcbsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, safety