RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Question Lance Air Conditioning

Couple questions for you Lance owners. One of the few drawbacks with these trailers is non-ducted A/C. Quite often that means LOUD. It also can mean not so good cold air circulation.

I'm interested primarily in the 2375 but will gladly listen to what you have to say about any model.

So, are they loud? And do they keep you cool, say in the bedroom, on a hot day?

Thanks!
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

Lance builds a great trailer, however in our previous Lance TT ( 1475 ) the AC was loud. One of the many reasons we went with an ORV ( ducted AC ) for our next TT. The general consensus is that it is just one of the things you just live with. Loud AC is better than no AC!
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #3

One non ducted AC works great in small TT's and campers. Biggest issue is how well will the cool air travel to the bedroom?
One thing really nice about ducted AC as in our case we have a door for the bedroom. We can leave the AC on at 65*, shut the door and open the two bedroom vents and have a cool breeze blowing on usb without hearing the AC. We still hear it but it's not loud by any means.
We've done the curtain bedroom thing and after 6 years we had enough.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #4

Being a active member on LOA forum I never heard any complaints on the A/C not keeping the 2375 cool enough. But no doubt they are loud.
Our small profile 9.2k will freeze us out of our 20í box with temps in the 90ís.
But to be honest we barely use our a/c as we camp in the NW at higher elevation. Opening windows on the shade side while running the fantastic fan keeps the trailer quite comfortable.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #5

Good honest feedback. Thank you!

Very glad to hear that cooling isn't an issue.

I've read about some remedies for reducing noise on ducted systems. Mostly modifying the intake path to divert air around an obstacle that absorbs/blocks some of the sound. Does anything like that exist for these non-ducted systems? If so, is it effective?
Old 02-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Flat roof means no water runoff, reduced interior height and non ducted AC. I guess you could rig up a 12 volt fan to blow the cool air into the bedroom.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Flat roof means no water runoff, reduced interior height and non ducted AC. I guess you could rig up a 12 volt fan to blow the cool air into the bedroom.

Lance does have a very slight curved roof. I often check ours and have not noticed any standing water. The PVC with eternal bond tape has been the easiest Iíve owned to keep nice.

Lance does not use trusses, no attic space filled with fiberglass batt insulation= less chance for mold growth, lower weight, and profile.

Pros and cons on every trailer, pick whatís important to you.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyw View Post
Good honest feedback. Thank you!

Very glad to hear that cooling isn't an issue.

I've read about some remedies for reducing noise on ducted systems. Mostly modifying the intake path to divert air around an obstacle that absorbs/blocks some of the sound. Does anything like that exist for these non-ducted systems? If so, is it effective?

Some Lance owners have gone in and filled in air gaps in the supply trunk, with just a few lower decibels gained. Iíve researched this and thatís all you can do.

The loud A/C is the biggest complaint on Lance trailers. We camp with friends that own a ORV 21fqs with ducted, and itís super quiet compared to ours. But his runs a lot and the air is not nearly as cold. They use fiberglass batts, and depending on how carefully it was installed will give you mixed results.

If your camping requires a lot of AC use, I would definitely find a dealer that will allow you to try it out first.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #9

A couple of years ago there was a lot of talk about modified intake grills that significantly reduced noise. You could modify the grill yourself or buy one. A Google search or u Tube search may show you how.
I live in Wisconsin. I camp hear and occasionally travel to south west Texas for winter. We rarely use the air conditioning. Like another post above we occasionally use our portable 12 volt Fantastic Vent fan.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #10

I spent an hour in a Lance that was plugged in at the local RV dealer. It was a hot muggy sunny Florida day with sun hitting the trailer.

I thought what a great chance to test the insulation so I turned on the non-ducted A/C unit.

All in all I was very disappointed. It was load and had trouble cooling a already hot trailer. After I finally turned the A/C o times how long before it went back to a hot trailer. The coldest I could get the trailer was a warm 75 degrees. It took 13 minutes before the trailer was 85 degrees inside. Again, all in all I was disappointed.

I know some A/C units are now called 'Whisper Quiet' and other names to indicate they are more quiet. I wonder if you could have the standard A/C unit changed out for a 'Whisper Quiet' unit.

I do like the PCV white roof. That has to help keep the trailer cool.

In my test it was a really hot muggy day. So it might not have been a fair test.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No attic space means the sun is directly heating the trailer. If you live where it is hot and sunny a lot like I do that may not be the best design.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #12

How much do you suppose a bunch of solar panels would help (referring to shading the roof)?
Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #13

Lance Air Conditioning

It starts up on top with the best roofing material that reflects radiant heat. Lance uses the LaSalle Bristol PVC roof with 86% solar reflectivity. Comparing my flat TPO roof on my SW house, and the Lance, the PVC is much cooler after a hot sunny day.
A attic space with fiberglass is not a good performer, but manufacturers do install a radiant barrier just below the sheathing for this reason. Even though itís not installed with proper clearance it does help some. Fiberglass batts soak up that heat quickly but yet it will remain long after the sun has gone down.

Built homes in Alaska, the NW, and the SW, and the insulation process is always different, as the climates are way different. Seen mold where proper practices were not put in place. But yet we expect our trailers to perform in all these climates. Thatís why I will always choose a 100% rigid foam board construction.

Agree, solar panels also protect from the radiant heat, just like parking in the shade. Making it dual purpose that many donít talk about.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Agreed, solar panels help as do slide toppers. In fact toppers may help the most with summer heat gain as the slides are often much less insulated. And parking with the awning facing south is a big help if there is no shade to be had.

None of the above will make any difference keeping you warm in winter.

Tags
air, air conditioning