Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
Depends on what size and amenities you are looking for.. We just bought a used ORV that we are very pleased with.
Exactly, and I haven't looked in enough trailers yet to get a good idea of what I want. I thought I wanted a front kitchen, and I love the interiors of those floor plans, but after looking a one, I realized that you sacrifice a lot of outside storage to get it. So now I'm ambivalent. So I understand that it's all about trade offs. I'm just not sure what trades I want to make yet.
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
So I understand that it's all about trade offs. I'm just not sure what trades I want to make yet.
The first trade off you'll have to make is size. The bigger the trailer, the fewer places you can go and the harder it is to find a site. I can use a 100' pull-through or a 40' back-in-only. But the guy with the 40' TT is SOL if I get there first and pick the 100' pull-through...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #17

I don’t have a dog in this race. Look at the RVing Alaska 2019 Facebook group, at least 2 GD with broken A frames and the axle thing has been mentioned also.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
The first trade off you'll have to make is size. The bigger the trailer, the fewer places you can go and the harder it is to find a site. I can use a 100' pull-through or a 40' back-in-only. But the guy with the 40' TT is SOL if I get there first and pick the 100' pull-through...
Size isn't a trade off for us. We've already decided that we want to be UNDER 30' including the tongue and bumper. So we've been looking at 24 and 25' trailers. Personally, I don't feel the need for something that has a dinette, love seat and two recliners. There's only two of us! It's also, as you say, a way to keep the cost down.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great! The next trade off is whether or not you're going to use it in the winter. Are you going to be using it outside of the May-September window?
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Lance and Arctic Fox are economically unfeasible. Even the used ones are unaffordble around here and I'm not willing to get something more than a few years old. Are there any brands that approach them in quality but are more reasonably priced?
Don't get me wrong, I really like Lance, it is one of the best ultralights out made, but even their largest is cramped with low ceilings and bathrooms for midgets. If you have a half ton, Lance is probably the best you can buy. The two companies started by Ron Nash, both based in Oregon are, ORV and Northwood, both these companies are head and shoulders better than anything out of Indiana, since you have an HD truck, you won't have any problems towing one.

A lot of people like Grand Design, personally I would put them in the same league as Forest River, except they are backed better which is important. I be recently purchased a new 2019 Minnie Plus 26rbss ( the old Sunnybrook) and it's had very few problems. I've had to screw and tighten a few things but nothing major. The 26rbss has a huge rear bath that the wife loves, the sticker price was $43000 but out the door, it was $31995, not too far off of your stated budget. They do make these things out of egg shells but Winnebago seems to have fewer warranty claims than most others. Check out this 2018 Minnie Plus for only 24k https://www.interstatervsales.com/in...Fort-Pierce-FL
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #21

Except for the single axle 1475, 1575, Lance is no longer considered ultra light weight. With the stronger BAL frame they started using in 2017, and increased capacities, many other brands now beat them in the weight segment.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Great! The next trade off is whether or not you're going to use it in the winter. Are you going to be using it outside of the May-September window?
I'm not sure if we'll use it outside that window, but my husband and I both think it's best if we have that option.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #23

Update: We still haven't had a chance to look at any ORVs. I don't even want to look at any Arctic Foxes because I just can't afford them. (The more I think about it, the more I'm hoping to be able to buy new.) I also want to look at some Grand Designs in person. A couple of their floor plans kind of knock my socks off. My husband is on vacation now, so hopefully we can check a few more brands out before we head out of town. Buying is still delayed until after I sell a so that we can pay cash.

ETA: How bad of an idea is it to not buy locally?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not sure if we'll use it outside that window, but my husband and I both think it's best if we have that option.
This one is a big trade off that y’all will want to seriously consider. Significant winter use (hunting in November in Eastern Washington, snow shoeing/Nordic skiing in the Methow Valley, skiing weekends in the RV parking lots at Crystal & Stevens, etc) is going to limit you to ORV, Lance, or Nash/Arctic Fox. Which means you might have to make a trade off on size or age. The other brands simply aren’t designed for use in sustained below freezing temperatures. Oh, sure, they all sell an “extreme 4 season package”, but those are really just late fall early spring packages as they’re a bigger furnace, a little extra insulation and maybe a heating pad for the tanks. But the dump valves are still exposed to the elements, there’s no insulation on the exterior shower door, and much of the plumbing is in unheated areas, etc. They work great for camping into October when the lows will get into the high twenties and the highs are still around 50. But when the highs are below freezing, you’ll be looking for a true 4 season trailer.
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
This one is a big trade off that y’all will want to seriously consider. Significant winter use (hunting in November in Eastern Washington, snow shoeing/Nordic skiing in the Methow Valley, skiing weekends in the RV parking lots at Crystal & Stevens, etc) is going to limit you to ORV, Lance, or Nash/Arctic Fox. Which means you might have to make a trade off on size or age. The other brands simply aren’t designed for use in sustained below freezing temperatures. Oh, sure, they all sell an “extreme 4 season package”, but those are really just late fall early spring packages as they’re a bigger furnace, a little extra insulation and maybe a heating pad for the tanks. But the dump valves are still exposed to the elements, there’s no insulation on the exterior shower door, and much of the plumbing is in unheated areas, etc. They work great for camping into October when the lows will get into the high twenties and the highs are still around 50. But when the highs are below freezing, you’ll be looking for a true 4 season trailer.
Yeah, we definitely won't be doing any of those things, but we might want, for example, to go to the Grand Canyon during the winter months. So we don't *plan* on using it in sustained cold weather, but we do want to be prepared for occasional cold weather.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #26

https://www.holidayrv.net/default.as...=xAllInventory

Our ORV dealer is 700 mi away. I spoke with ORV prior to our purchase and as long as the work is pre-approved by ORV any RV repair facility can do the work. I think a warranty is great but it is only a year in the many years you may own the TT.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShu View Post
https://www.holidayrv.net/default.as...=xAllInventory

Our ORV dealer is 700 mi away. I spoke with ORV prior to our purchase and as long as the work is pre-approved by ORV any RV repair facility can do the work. I think a warranty is great but it is only a year in the many years you may own the TT.
Did you have a dealer close by where you could go to see the ORVs before you made your buying decision? We have an ORV dealer about an hour away, but it appears they only carry the Mesa Ridge line, not the Open Range line. I'm a kind of at a loss as to how I can just casually look at some to see what I think.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Did you have a dealer close by where you could go to see the ORVs before you made your buying decision? We have an ORV dealer about an hour away, but it appears they only carry the Mesa Ridge line, not the Open Range line. I'm a kind of at a loss as to how I can just casually look at some to see what I think.
“ORV” as in Outdoors RV manufacturing:
https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote