Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

LED Clearance / marker light upgrade

NEW LED Lights installed last week. All I can say is WOW, they are so much better.

I installed them to get a lamp unit that is totally sealed, to avoid water getting in to the lens, then run down the inside wall and rot out the wall.

These are the lights I used: Sealed RV LED Marker Lamp

Here's a few pics of the old lights:

The incandescent lamps and their removable lens, I have seen water and dirt in get in them. If the water doesn't drain out, then water will fill up and leak past the lamp socket and down the wall. This issue seems more common on the front wall marker lamps, which are subject to "water injection" when driving in inclement weather (heavy rain)
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

I but some butyl rubber putty around the edge of the lamp, then put some in the screw holes too.
I used stainless steel screws.

Here they are, lit up.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Job well done!
GoldWingRyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWingRyde View Post
Job well done!
THanks. :-)

After a week or so I will slightly tighten the screws more, then trim off the excess buytl putty that has oozed out from behind the light, then run a bead of sealant around the top and two sides of the light.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #5

Good job! The only thing I did different was to attach small wood blocks behind the screw holes. Since the aluminum is the only thing holding the screw in and it is thin they strip out easily. My wood pieces were about an 1 1/4" long and 1/2" by 1/2". I obviously had to drill another hole for each one so I could attach them with small stainless screw, pre drill both holes so wood won't split and then attach them. The two screws from the new lenses will screw into the wood and it is much more secure.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

Well done,,

last year I replaced all 14 marker lights.. using standard replacements.. because of water inside light and going down the inside of walls and Fading of lens.. no real damage.

but 2.00 dollars each.. was not hard on the budget.. I do like the LED's...
I used clear silicone grease between lens and base to prevent water entry.

and I replaced the inside standard bulbs with LED... 32 dollars for 20 bulbs. but still need 4 more to finish that job. again budget .
and 16 feet of LED for under awning.. the single color and direct 12 volt power. for 12 dollars, and 6 for the clear gorilla tape to cover them.

Not enough part time jobs for project money.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

This is nice! I was considering replacing the bulbs in mine with LED bulbs, but I haven't been able to justify the cost, when they are only on when towing, and at that point power draw isn't a real issue. Someday I will do it though...
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
THanks. :-)

After a week or so I will slightly tighten the screws more, then trim off the excess buytl putty that has oozed out from behind the light, then run a bead of sealant around the top and two sides of the light.
I'm not sure why you put the butyl all around the edges? It's a waterproof fixture. Yes, I understand a shot at the screws and around where the wire goes through. The same goes for running a bead around the top and sides next week?

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrig View Post
I'm not sure why you put the butyl all around the edges? It's a waterproof fixture.l
To keep water from getting in behind the fixtures and going in to the wall. This is the same technique done on the original lights.

Tags
light, upgrade, led