Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
This can not be compared to SOA or SUA set up.
Why is that? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that there is the same amount of weight pressing down on two bolts either way.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite1223 View Post
Why is that? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems that there is the same amount of weight pressing down on two bolts either way.
With a spring over or spring under the axle(s) have spring perches for the springs to rest on.Then there are also plates that rest on the top or bottom of the springs held in place with 2 u-bolts for for each spring.The weight is on the axles and other components not on bolts.
The axle(s) are being sandwiched to the springs.

The torsion axle set up in question here is not a solid setup.All the pressure is on the bolts.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:51 AM   #31

Quote:
With a spring over or spring under the axle(s) have spring perches for the springs to rest on.Then there are also plates that rest on the top or bottom of the springs held in place with 2 u-bolts for for each spring.The weight is on the axles and other components not on bolts.

The torsion axle set up in question here is not a solid setup.All the pressure is on the bolts.
I disagree with this,and don’t want to sound mean or rude in anyway. I am not the best at putting down in words my thoughts. There is only 1 bolt through the eye of the spring at the shackle at each end of the spring ,that carries all the weight.yes there are u bolts at the axel itself to hold the spring to the axle. There is a u bolt on each side of the spring to get equal force to hold the spring to the axle. At the end of the spring is a singal bolt through the eye of the spring. Not only does it carry the weight ,but it also moves as the wheel goes up and down. There is no issue with the bolt carrying the load as I see it. If there is any issue,as I see it . It would be the strength of the frame. An axel pad would spread the weight across a larger area of the frame,which would provide frame support. I wouldn’t worry to much about it and think it will be fine
fabricater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #32

Quote:

I'm still not seeing it. Just seems that regardless of how the springs are attached to the axle the weight is still carried by shackle bolts.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:37 AM   #33

Quote:
I'm still not seeing it. Just seems that regardless of how the springs are attached to the axle the weight is still carried by shackle bolts.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
I disagree with this,and don’t want to sound mean or rude in anyway. I am not the best at putting down in words my thoughts. There is only 1 bolt through the eye of the spring at the shackle at each end of the spring ,that carries all the weight.yes there are u bolts at the axel itself to hold the spring to the axle. There is a u bolt on each side of the spring to get equal force to hold the spring to the axle. At the end of the spring is a singal bolt through the eye of the spring. Not only does it carry the weight ,but it also moves as the wheel goes up and down. There is no issue with the bolt carrying the load as I see it. If there is any issue,as I see it . It would be the strength of the frame. An axel pad would spread the weight across a larger area of the frame,which would provide frame support. I wouldn’t worry to much about it and think it will be fine
Ok I see what you guys are saying about the Eye bolts but in my mind it's not the same as how the OP's axles are mounted.The load is different.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #34

With the trailer fully supported and the bolts in the holes but not fully tight, I would measure the up and down of the axle in the hole, carefully, with calipers. I would take the biggest dimension and make a spacer that fits and then install it with bolts all the way thru the spacer (square or rectangular stock) and the frame bracket. With everything loose, I would lift slightly on the axle housing and take up the slack and tighten all of the bolts. This will have the frame transferring the weight thru the spacer to the axle. You still have side load concerns, but with the spacer I would not be as concerned about that.

Charles
Old 08-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #35

Let’s hope the OP experiences sag, before bolt failure.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #36

https://www.etrailer.com/p-LC270682.html

COmes w/ a bracket. So no, just the bolts are not ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Hi all,

I've been considering lifting my 1700BH with a single torsion axle. I know lifting trailers isn't exactly unheard of, I see plenty of them, and kits for sale, too.

My question is that the bracket on my axle extends below the axle and even has two additional mounting heights.

This sounds kind of stupid, but is it as simple as lowering the axle to one of the lower mounting locations? Or do I need some type of strengthening bracket? I'm thinking I don't, but I figured I'd ask the internet.

THanks!
Jdub75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub75 View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/p-LC270682.html

COmes w/ a bracket. So no, just the bolts are not ok
Said the same thing in post #10
Old 08-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #38

I have a 30ft Fifth Wheel Rockwood and it seems as if the tires were rubbing against the underneath of the RV and a nice blowout. In Mexico I looked at getting a lift kit from Dexter. Talked into getting a lift kit made and installed there. Also beefed up brackets and viola 2'3/4" lift, no dramas with rubbing tires. I'd recommend seeing a engineering shop or suspension expert. Much quicker than a manufacturer and probably a ways better too. And the price in Mexico was US$750 for everything. The dealer in Tucson started at 2,500 so some left over for margaritas!
Old 08-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #39

I am surprised no one mentioned the extra bolts in the in the pictures of the trailers with the factory lift. In my opinion, based on the pictures shown, when the axle is in the upper most slots, the tabs on the axle hit the frame the slots with large bolts take up the manufacturing tolerances. When the axles are lowered (trailer raised) the tab get bolted to the mounting bracket through the holes in the bracket. In the Vroom's first picture you can see the tabs and bolts I am talking about. I don't think the spacers are required in this design but couldn't hurt if they were made correctly.
You can compare loads imparted on the frame by a standard leaf spring setup to those imparted on the frame by a torsion axle but you need a rudimentary understanding of physics, statics, or mechanics of materials. The leaf spring is super simple to understand the loads. The weight on each wheel is the trailer weight minus tongue weight divided by 2 (assuming no weight distribution). The shackles at each end of spring then see 1/2 of that load. The torsion axle weight on the wheel is the same. But the bolts have to carry the wheel load plus a torque created by the offset between the axle and the wheel spindle. The result is higher loads in the frame and higher bolt loads than the leaf spring design. If you do a google search for torsion axle, some engineer did a stress plot for both designs. That is a lot of blah blah.
Tomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I wonder if the OP will return with info on how this worked out or if they sought out a local expert opinion..
Wonder no more!

After lifting it, I took the trailer up the hill for a weekend at the lake.

It performed marvously. No issues whatsoever.

I brought an extra set of tools with me for the extra large bolts, and everything was fine, even after coming in on some less than improved roads.

It was nice not having to wonder if I was going to smack my drain pipe on speed bumps.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote