Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 03:17 AM   #15

Well, I went and bought 20 leds from ebay..... I know what was I thinking? anyway I got one bulb! I had to pitch a bitch but I am supposed to get the other 19 i. the distant future. From what I see so far it is a bit blue and I am not sure just how well it will light things up or if I or the DW will like it. I am sure the battery will though.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Well, I went and bought 20 leds from ebay..... I know what was I thinking? anyway I got one bulb! I had to pitch a bitch but I am supposed to get the other 19 i. the distant future. From what I see so far it is a bit blue and I am not sure just how well it will light things up or if I or the DW will like it. I am sure the battery will though.

You should try the "warm white" LED's from m4products.com. I think they will make you happier than you are now.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #17

LED Bulbs

In my house when i changed to LED it affects my TV. Did anyone notice that in there travel trailer ?
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #18

I'm in the process of ordering some LEDs to replace my halogen sconce lights. Never liked how hot those fellows got. At 20w each that accounts for a fair amount of heat for the air conditioners to overcome.

Will report back with my opinion of the warm white LEDs when they arrive. One concern that I had was the size of the LEDs ... would they have clearance inside my current application. Went about fussing with measuring the internal space in the sconces and studying the LED specs (sometimes hard to determine). I think they will have clearance.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
One concern that I had was the size of the LEDs ... would they have clearance inside my current application. Went about fussing with measuring the internal space in the sconces and studying the LED specs (sometimes hard to determine). I think they will have clearance.
Shouldn't be a problem Moonrover. Here's a shot of size comparison for a standard wedge incandescent and the LED I purchased, no problem with the fit. You're right about the heat, my wall fixtures were so hot I could barely touch them, absolutely no heat with the LED's. So glad I made the change even at $13 a pop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulbs.png
Views:	83
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	64950  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Shouldn't be a problem Moonrover. Here's a shot of size comparison for a standard wedge incandescent and the LED I purchased, no problem with the fit. You're right about the heat, my wall fixtures were so hot I could barely touch them, absolutely no heat with the LED's. So glad I made the change even at $13 a pop.

Thanks ... yes that's a comparison that I came across. In my application there is a light diffusion glass shield inside the sconce that rests really close to the top of the old halogen bulb. I'm thinking if it is removed ... no biggie ... the new LED replacement may not need the softening diffusion.

Another thing, the halogens probably got too hot due to the diffuser shield and that's why I was replacing them about twice a year. Quite possibly the extra cost of the LEDs will be a cost savings in the long haul.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #21

not sure why it cost so much for these as its just a .50 light emitting diode and a few resistors to adjust the voltage load. I am sure I could male it myself but my manufacturing process would leave a lot to be desired on visual appearance.....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
not sure why it cost so much for these as its just a .50 light emitting diode and a few resistors to adjust the voltage load. I am sure I could male it myself but my manufacturing process would leave a lot to be desired on visual appearance.....

Look at the pic I posted above from the m4products page. One of those LED's has 24 individual surface mount emitters! I consider that a bargain at $9.99 ! !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #23

I used these I found on amazon. They work great and since the operating wattage is so much less, when on batteries, the charge will last much longer.

Amazon.com: ABN 2 PC 42-SMD T10 12V LED Replacement Light Bulbs T15 921 912 906 Extra Bright White: Automotive
kcschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #24

10pcs T10 921 194 168 SMD Bulb 25 1210 LED Bulbs Lights Warm White | eBay

I bought these led bulbs and have been very happy with them.when I tried them out they were very close to what a standard bulb looked like I was shocked. And not having all the heat from a standard bulb is nice.

And the price was good.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #25

10X T10 194 168 24 3528 SMD LED Bulb Lamp Super Bright Warmwhite AC DC 12 28V | eBay

the only put the light down where it should be

have to try them out (my trailer is in the shop to put a slide topper on ) so i have to wait yet
the price was right
heinzjf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #26

The only issue with that style is yes it shoots the light down but it is very focuses and does not light that well. My buddy just installed them in his motor home and they are ok but not great.

In the factory light housings a light that is round will use the upper reflective shield and it will also reflect properly through the defusers that are cut into the factory lenses.

If you look at the ones I posted they are 25 LEDs with 1 led at the end which is all you need.

But to each there own.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #27

Does anyone have before and after pictures of the LED install? Specifically how they look light brightness wise
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #28

I can take a picture tommorow night of mine.