Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2022, 09:41 PM   #1

Lighten tongue weight

Let me first off say. I'm not trying to go below the recommended 10-15% tongue weight. I have a tongue weight scale on the way at this moment to play around with and make sure my weights are good. Only reason im asking is I have a 2015 crossroads zinger and it's dry weight is about 6500lbs but online it's saying it tongue weight is like 950lbs. That's really close to its 15% already and I still want to add stuff to it like a power jack and stabilizer bars. Also I'm worried if I boondock that my water tank is forward of my axles and it'll also add more weight to the tongue. That's why I'm asking. Only idea I can come up with is move the batteries to the rear bumper, I know packing the camper correctly is also key. I'm just wanting to get ideas incase I do run Into a situation that the tongue is to heavy. Again. Not trying to go under 10%. Just dont want to be maxed out either. Hopefully the online tongue rating is very overated and I have nothing to worry about. Won't know until the scale gets here. Anyways any info helps have a good day.
Torchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

2015 crossroads zinger 26DT (don't find a BT listed)

Dry tongue 14%

GVWR at 14% 1090/1100

What are you towing with that you are worried about the tongue weight?

Didn't see any updates on Converter and/or water heater in Pop-up???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:04 PM   #3

I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 payload is a little over 1500lbs. It's not so much the truck, but I dont see it being to hard to get over the 15% tongue weight. This would help the truck out aswell dont get me wrong. Even at 1000lb tongue weight that leaves only 500lb for me, family, cargo, etc... I'm sure if I'm over by like 200-300lb on the payload as long as I drive carefully ide be fine. I'm just wanting to get closer to like 11 or 12% and am just looking at ideas incase I run Into that problem down the road
Old 02-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #4

Get a receiver that raises the tongue a few inches. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45155-Fu...34987313&psc=1
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #5

Do not raise the tongue above level! A weight distribution system may help. It will help to shift some of the weight to the trailer axles.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:39 PM   #6

I do have one. Should have put that in my initial statement lol.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #7

Our full fresh water tank is just forward of the axels. Granted it’s only 45 gallons, but only adds 55lbs to the tongue weight.

Regardless of your payload rating, that’s quite a bit of weight hanging off the back end of any 1/2 ton truck.

One 100AH Lithium battery can equal two Lead Acid, and lose 100lbs. or more.

Where is the spare tire, can it be relocated?

If your mostly camping in warmer temps you can remove the spare propane tank.

A hitch and storage rack on the back can also help out.

Besides that I don’t know your particular TT model and available storage options to reduce tongue weight.

For your Ram truck TuffTruck makes higher rated springs. Went with the 1211’s, with upgraded Fox shocks. Ride has better support, and highly recommend.

Just some options for your consideration, but at those weights you may just want to consider a 3/4 ton truck.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Our full fresh water tank is just forward of the axels. Granted it’s only 45 gallons, but only adds 55lbs to the tongue weight.

Regardless of your payload rating, that’s quite a bit of weight hanging off the back end of any 1/2 ton truck.

One 100AH Lithium battery can equal two Lead Acid, and lose 100lbs. or more.

Where is the spare tire, can it be relocated?

If your mostly camping in warmer temps you can remove the spare propane tank.

A hitch and storage rack on the back can also help out.

Besides that I don’t know your particular TT model and available storage options to reduce tongue weight.

For your Ram truck TuffTruck makes higher rated springs. Went with the 1211’s, with upgraded Fox shocks. Ride has better support, and highly recommend.

Just some options for your consideration, but at those weights you may just want to consider a 3/4 ton truck.
Spare tire is already at the back. And I did think about the lithium batteries but that's super expensive, also relocating the heavier batteries to the back could also help counter balance it. removing a tank could work but I feel it's more a bandaid than a fix. I do already have HD air lift bags in the back. But yeah I find it super irritating that trailers like this seem to be configured to max out the trucks payload. I shouldnt need a 3/4 ton truck to move my trailer that doesnt even have an 8klb gvwr with my family...
Old 02-03-2022, 05:01 AM   #9

I’ve got a friend that had a similar size trailer, and a Ram 1500. He struggled with tongue weight also, and the truck never felt stable towing. He ended up going to a Ram 2500, and it made a huge difference. The price difference between similar aged trucks is not huge going to a 2500.

I think they coil springs on the rear of the Rams give it a great ride, but hurt their stability towing.
Wowens79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #10

Over Weight TT Tongues

Moving the battery to the rear has been my go to solution for both my TT's. Both tongue weights came in at double the published tongue weight.

I have a rear dinette floor plan. I relocated the battery under the rear dinette seat. That took 60 pounds off the tongue and counter balanced to remove an additional 60 pounds. I added a second battery next to the relocated battery for another 60 pounds off the tongue.

My converter/charger is located next to the dinette, so that worked well.

Flooded cell batteries emit hydrogen gas and dribble acid. Building a proper battery box was necessary, however, I used AGM batteries. AGM batteries do not need to be vented outside and do not dribble acid.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Moving the battery to the rear has been my go to solution for both my TT's. Both tongue weights came in at double the published tongue weight.

I have a rear dinette floor plan. I relocated the battery under the rear dinette seat. That took 60 pounds off the tongue and counter balanced to remove an additional 60 pounds. I added a second battery next to the relocated battery for another 60 pounds off the tongue.

My converter/charger is located next to the dinette, so that worked well.

Flooded cell batteries emit hydrogen gas and dribble acid. Building a proper battery box was necessary, however, I used AGM batteries. AGM batteries do not need to be vented outside and do not dribble acid.

AGM batteries still need to be vented. A weak battery will draw a lot of charging current and vent hydrogen gas. If you look closely at the battery you will see a small vent hole. That is a pressure relief valve.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #12

Bandaid fixes...wrong truck/wrong trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
AGM batteries still need to be vented. A weak battery will draw a lot of charging current and vent hydrogen gas. If you look closely at the battery you will see a small vent hole. That is a pressure relief valve.
AGM batteries are accepted for use inside aircraft cabins on passenger aircraft.
They must not be installed in sealed battery boxes, but do not need to be vented to the outside.

The vents on an AGM battery are safety devices in case of a malfunction while charging or internal catastrophic failure.

If yours show evidence of venting, then you have an issue. Most often the signs of venting are do to using too high charging voltage.

Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchic View Post
Spare tire is already at the back. And I did think about the lithium batteries but that's super expensive, also relocating the heavier batteries to the back could also help counter balance it. removing a tank could work but I feel it's more a bandaid than a fix. I do already have HD air lift bags in the back. But yeah I find it super irritating that trailers like this seem to be configured to max out the trucks payload. I shouldnt need a 3/4 ton truck to move my trailer that doesnt even have an 8klb gvwr with my family...
Unfortunately in your situation you do need a 3/4 ton truck. If you had a 3/4 ton you wouldn't be here asking the question about lowering the TW.
BTW your TT was never intended solely for 1/2 tons. The clue was the high dry TW and your low Ram's CCC.
Is the 1500lb CCC from the door sticker?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, tongue weight, weight