Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #1

Lights in living room not working

Hello - new to this forum.
I have a 2021 Mallard by Heartland M260.

I was working on installing a Winegard GW-1000 and things were going well, I was checking to make sure the wires were powered (Air 360+ pre-installed and ready to roll) and the two "power wires" (one is green and one is blue green) didn't have any power. Because I couldn't find power, I quit the install to start doing more research. Somewhere along the way the lights (roughly 6 different fixtures) in the main living area quit working. All the other plugs, lights and components of the camper work (as far as I can tell). I have checked all the fuses with a multi meter, powered off the camper, reset all the breakers replaced the fuse labeled "Main" and I am at a loss. It's only the main living area lights, as the lights in the slide out work just fine, again, everything else works (slide, awning, fridge, microwave, fire place, A/C, bathroom lights) and I am out of ideas on what to check next.

Help?

thank you!
mrmagilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

Lights are a 12 volt DC issue.

Main circuit breaker and branch breakers are a 120 volt AC issue.

Six 12 volt lights not working means the 12 volt supply to the lights is not working.

12 volt branch circuits have a fuse. The most frequent failure when working with 12 volt supply is a momentary short circuit that blows a fuse. You may not have found the correct fuse to test, or the fuse may have fooled you into thinking it is not blown.

It is likely a 10 or 15 amp fuse that is blown.

The next most frequent is a loose connection. Usually one you were working with. The connection may have been disconnected, reconnected, and results are loose.

It may be a connection near where you were working. It may have been disturbed by your work.

There are many other possible causes. Trace the lost power from the dead light fixtures. Get a tracing device from your local hardware store electrical department.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagilla73 View Post
Hello - new to this forum.
I have a 2021 Mallard by Heartland M260.

I was working on installing a Winegard GW-1000 and things were going well, I was checking to make sure the wires were powered (Air 360+ pre-installed and ready to roll) and the two "power wires" (one is green and one is blue green) didn't have any power. Because I couldn't find power, I quit the install to start doing more research. Somewhere along the way the lights (roughly 6 different fixtures) in the main living area quit working. All the other plugs, lights and components of the camper work (as far as I can tell). I have checked all the fuses with a multi meter, powered off the camper, reset all the breakers replaced the fuse labeled "Main" and I am at a loss. It's only the main living area lights, as the lights in the slide out work just fine, again, everything else works (slide, awning, fridge, microwave, fire place, A/C, bathroom lights) and I am out of ideas on what to check next.

Help?

thank you!
As said check the 12v fuses, if okay there. There is a separate 12vDC panel, in our Road Warrior it is next to the 120VAC panel.
I would start checking where you were working and make sure you did not pull something loose.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:33 PM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Hello mrmagilla73

We also have a 2021 Mallard M260. Our Winegard pre-install is powered from the switch above the slide switch. We have 8 lights on the main coach ceiling. 6 are equally space in 2 rows of 3, 1 near the door to the pantry/closet, and 1 near the bathroom door. Which ones are not working? Is the pantry/closet light working? Does your Winegard TV/Cable outlet wall plate near the TV above the fireplace have power (little button toggles on and off the green light on the wall plate)? I am not sure the path of all the power connections, but I can share what our set up is like.
mdh2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #5

We had a similar problem when we picked up our fifth wheel. It turned out to be a loose wire on the switch.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:49 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies!

Thank you for all the replies!

It did turn out to be a loose wire on a switch. Just had to look deeper into the wall.

I really appreciate the help!
Old 06-30-2022, 04:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2021 View Post
We also have a 2021 Mallard M260. Our Winegard pre-install is powered from the switch above the slide switch. We have 8 lights on the main coach ceiling. 6 are equally space in 2 rows of 3, 1 near the door to the pantry/closet, and 1 near the bathroom door. Which ones are not working? Is the pantry/closet light working? Does your Winegard TV/Cable outlet wall plate near the TV above the fireplace have power (little button toggles on and off the green light on the wall plate)? I am not sure the path of all the power connections, but I can share what our set up is like.
This is good to know as the dealership didn't tell us what that switch did.
If you don't mind, the wiring in the ceiling, I have a blue and a blue green but am unsure which is has power to it so I can hook it up.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:52 AM   #8

yep, that is exactly what it turned out to be, wire pulled from the crimp connector. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
mrmagilla73

We use a WiFiRanger Osprey CAT-12. The antenna connections are the same as the Winegard Gateway 1000. I believe the power connections are the same. Blue connected to red and green connected to black. I recommend checking which wire is +12 VDC and which is ground. I tucked the excess wire back up into the ceiling hole. Picture of the connection is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WiFiRangerOsprey.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	369804  
mdh2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights