Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Lippert Electric Stabilizers

A question to those of you with Lippert electric stabilizers. How well do they work for you?

Ours do a very poor job of stopping the "jiggle" as we walk around inside the rig. With 3 prior trailers, all equipped with manual stabilizers, we never jiggled like we do now.

It seems that the stabilizing mechanism with the Lipperts stiffen with a link from each ground pad to a position on the frame well inside of the corners. This is in contrast to manual stabilizers that connect the 4 corners of the trailer to the ground pad with basically a vertical (via a scissors mechanism) link.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, comments, questions, fixes, suggestions, etc..

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I have them, and I have the same problems you have. I don't care for them much, other than the fact that I am OLD and CRANKY... The push-button part feeds the old part of me... and the fact that they ain't worth much feeds the cranky side...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have them, and I have the same problems you have. I don't care for them much, other than the fact that I am OLD and CRANKY... The push-button part feeds the old part of me... and the fact that they ain't worth much feeds the cranky side...
Schrederman (Old and Cranky),

It is good to know that I am not the only person bothered by a jiggly rig! Thanks. I have done some searching on other forums and saw several potential solutions:
1. blocks under the pads,
2. using the tongue jack to put more pressure on the pads,
3. use an X-chock or "Rotochok" between the tires,
4. use a cross bracing system such as "STEADYfast",
5. scissor jacks mid-way along the frame and,
6. what seems to me to be the best solution, add scissor jacks to the far corners of the rig's frame.

Comments anybody? Any success stories?

Bob
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Hi Bob,

I use chocks and 1' square plywood pads. I run them down until they stop themselves. Doing that, I'm not sure how long they'll last. They sound like they will blow up every time I use them, but they have since I got it new... Best solution would be scissor jacks at the corners, but besides being old and cranky, I'm also cheap...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

I don't have the Lippert Electric Stabilizers, I decided to go with Big Foot, however with your jack you can add the JD Stabilizers or is J something else. I put them on mine even thought the Big Foot are much bigger. My unit never moves. If you don't care for the rocking.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Schrederman (Old and Cranky),

It is good to know that I am not the only person bothered by a jiggly rig! Thanks. I have done some searching on other forums and saw several potential solutions:
1. blocks under the pads,
2. using the tongue jack to put more pressure on the pads,
3. use an X-chock or "Rotochok" between the tires,
4. use a cross bracing system such as "STEADYfast",
5. scissor jacks mid-way along the frame and,
6. what seems to me to be the best solution, add scissor jacks to the far corners of the rig's frame.

Comments anybody? Any success stories?

Bob
I have the same jacks on our Blackstone. I use 2'x12" wood pads on the ground, I am unsure how "far down" the jacks go down though since there is no "feel" like the manual scissor jacks. I use 2 BAL Deluxe Chocks (one on each side) and have very little movement. The reason I use two chocks is I bent my first one up (don't attempt to drive with one between the wheels), and bought another one. The first one while bent, still works, two chocks work better then one.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Hi Bob,

I use chocks and 1' square plywood pads. I run them down until they stop themselves. Doing that, I'm not sure how long they'll last. They sound like they will blow up every time I use them, but they have since I got it new... Best solution would be scissor jacks at the corners, but besides being old and cranky, I'm also cheap...
Schrederman,

I'm prepared to resort to the manual scissor jacks after I exhaust other (low cost) possibilities. I now have a pair of Rotochoks that I will be trying shortly. I'm also thinking that the larger slideout we have in our new rig is augmenting the jiggle/bounce issue.

Thanks for your comments!

Bob
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
I don't have the Lippert Electric Stabilizers, I decided to go with Big Foot, however with your jack you can add the JD Stabilizers or is J something else. I put them on mine even thought the Big Foot are much bigger. My unit never moves. If you don't care for the rocking.
Thanks for your input! I Googled JD, J Stabilizers, etc and all I got were John Deere stabilizers. I don't think that is what you were suggesting. Can you give me a little better description of your stabilizers?

Thanks!!

Bob
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I have the same jacks on our Blackstone. I use 2'x12" wood pads on the ground, I am unsure how "far down" the jacks go down though since there is no "feel" like the manual scissor jacks. I use 2 BAL Deluxe Chocks (one on each side) and have very little movement. The reason I use two chocks is I bent my first one up (don't attempt to drive with one between the wheels), and bought another one. The first one while bent, still works, two chocks work better then one.
Thanks for telling me about your approach to anti-jiggling! I just ordered a new Rotochok to fit our new rig and they sent two. I thought the price had doubled but they were just sending two instead. So I will be using Rotochoks on both pairs of wheels when we start down the road. Sure hope this helps!

Bob
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
have you called OutdoorsRV and talked to them? I have them and am not really impressed but I sprayed them with some dry lube and I think they go down a little firmer.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

I am sorry I had forgotten the name it is JT Stabilizers I understand that Lippert owns them now. I had them on my 5er before I put the Big Foot on and they made the unit rock solid, so I added them to my Big Foot and it is the same. I am sure that they have a kit for adding them to their jacks.

JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
have you called OutdoorsRV and talked to them? I have them and am not really impressed but I sprayed them with some dry lube and I think they go down a little firmer.
I will try lubing them. I have not called Outdoors about this since I have had several other more pressing issues. But I think their position might be that the customer knew what he was buying, so live with it. I'm betting that replies from forum members will help me in the long run.

Thanks for replying!

Bob
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
I am sorry I had forgotten the name it is JT Stabilizers I understand that Lippert owns them now. I had them on my 5er before I put the Big Foot on and they made the unit rock solid, so I added them to my Big Foot and it is the same. I am sure that they have a kit for adding them to their jacks.

JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
Thanks for the link. I'll look into them further. Right now I am concerned about the ease of setting up/taking down whatever solution might be out there. My Lipperts are tucked a ways under each end of the trailer so access by my very creaky old body is of concern.

Bob
Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kind a hard to have a light weight TT that sits high with good ground clearance be solid as a rock when parked with a quick set-up and take down.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote