Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #15

I always do a last minute walk-around before pulling out. I found a split in a tire on one of those inspections. After that I get in the truck, and we check the lights.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
Oh there is an order. Level left to right, then set chocks, then unhook, then level front to rear, then set stabilizers, then recheck chocks.

Only then can you do whatever in any order that works for you.
That's the order that works for you. It may be different for somebody else. For example:
Set chocks > unhook > press auto level > connect power/water/sewer > extend slides
Or
Pull in > disconnect > connect shore power > press auto level > extend slides > turn on air conditioner > connect water/sewer

The point is, each person has to determine what works best for them and their rig. Lots of things work better when done in a certain order - does that mean that they won't work in a different order? Not really.
Long ago I had a TT that I kept in a storage lot in Myrtle Beach, I would reserve a spot at one of the parks and then let the owner of the storage facility know when and where, he would drop the camper off prior to my arrival. I didn't have a truck or anything like that.
The routine was to connect the power first and get that air conditioner going, then connect the water. The sites were pretty level so all I had to do was put the stabilizer jacks under the frame and tighten them up. Move all the food and such from the car then hit the beach.

Personally, I don't use lists - never have. I think they're great for people that like them but not for me. The worst that has ever happened is I left a portable EMS hanging on a pedestal and a 'Y' valve on a faucet. I went to a hard wired EMS and have plenty of spare 'Y' valves.
I have found that -for me- if I take my time and think about what it is I'm doing I make far fewer mistakes (virtually none) and live a much more stress free life.
YMMV
Old 04-09-2022, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
That's the order that works for you. It may be different for somebody else. For example:

Set chocks > unhook > press auto level > connect power/water/sewer > extend slides

Or

Pull in > disconnect > connect shore power > press auto level > extend slides > turn on air conditioner > connect water/sewer

The point is, each person has to determine what works best for them and their rig. Lots of things work better when done in a certain order - does that mean that they won't work in a different order? Not really.

Long ago I had a TT that I kept in a storage lot in Myrtle Beach, I would reserve a spot at one of the parks and then let the owner of the storage facility know when and where, he would drop the camper off prior to my arrival. I didn't have a truck or anything like that.

The routine was to connect the power first and get that air conditioner going, then connect the water. The sites were pretty level so all I had to do was put the stabilizer jacks under the frame and tighten them up. Move all the food and such from the car then hit the beach.

Personally, I don't use lists - never have. I think they're great for people that like them but not for me. The worst that has ever happened is I left a portable EMS hanging on a pedestal and a 'Y' valve on a faucet. I went to a hard wired EMS and have plenty of spare 'Y' valves.

I have found that -for me- if I take my time and think about what it is I'm doing I make far fewer mistakes (virtually none) and live a much more stress free life.

YMMV
My comment about order is a safety one since this is the travel trailer forum. The vast majority of TTs don't have auto level so you need to level L-R before you can even unhook. And if you unhook before you set chocks your TT is likely to roll away or into your TV as you jack it off the ball.

That's why I said there is an order to a point (basically the trailer is set, safe and stable) then you can do whatever you want in the order you want. You can't hook up sewer and then start moving your rig around to get it level, right?
Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
<snip>

You can't hook up sewer and then start moving your rig around to get it level, right?
You could it just wouldn't work out very well.

The OP wants a checklist so there's no reason to quibble over the finer points of setting up various campers. I simply want to convey that there's no need to get too wrapped up around this stuff. Find your style and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #19

On arrival, level side to side and chock before raising tongue.
On departure removing chocks is always last step.
All other steps in between a matter of personal preference.
For added safety on sloped sites, use both x-chocks and rubber wheel chocks.