Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #15

Is 100aH a relatively a big and good battery choice or are there better ones. I wonder what this battery will cost in a in a year or two.

I think in will need one next spring.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Is 100aH a relatively a big and good battery choice or are there better ones. I wonder what this battery will cost in a in a year or two.

I think in will need one next spring.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...cycle-battery/
Heard good things about this one.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #17

LifeBlue has LI batts in 100, 125, 150, 200, and 300 AH. Every battery has bluetooth connectivity via their app for you smartphone.

Here is their app information on what you can do with your batts....
Documents for LiFeBlue RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
LifeBlue has LI batts in 100, 125, 150, 200, and 300 AH. Every battery has bluetooth connectivity via their app for you smartphone.

Here is their app information on what you can do with your batts....
Documents for LiFeBlue RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery
Thanks for the link!
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lithium batteries

Check out ‘RV with the Tanners’ on YouTube and his Lithium install. He installed 6, 100-amp BattleBorns in his fifth wheel along with the GoPower 2kw inverter. He said he’d need 48 AGM’s to do what those 6 are capable of! Also another great video is ‘Morton’s on the Move’ and his Tesla battery install!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 AM   #20

Wow, I will watch those videos. Great info and I am learning things.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #21

It is hard to overstate the performance of the battleborn batteries and the other similar products. The fast charge, low voltage drop and high discharge rate are game changers. PLUS they don’t mind being used at partial SOC levels, which are death for lead acid.

If you don’t have them, and drycamp with an inverter, you simply can’t even imagine how all these characteristics combine to be Awesome.

PS I don’t like the progressive LI chargers, voltage to high and no float. I use the regular progressive charger with a charge wizard to choose which stage, but mostly use solar 400watts and the engine to charge and a victron to monitor.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #22

Lithium batteries, LED lighting, Velcro - three of the best inventions in my lifetime.
I switched out all my old battery tools, like flash lights, drills, electric shavers etc to lithium power.

I have not tried one for my trailer but I can imagine how much better it will be. Trying to dry camp with the old lead acid batteries is really not easy. I can imagine a lithium battery will make it much more doable and pleasant.

Lithium [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #23

Be aware that if you do go with lithium, you may need to change the settings on your controller. Battle Borne requires 14.4v bulk charge and 13.6v float. No equalization. With my Go-Power controller, which has no Lithium setting, I use the AGM setting and get those outputs.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #24

Probably in 20 years lithium batteries will be on all trailers. Lighter and way more efficient is a win win.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #25

I am a big fan of lithium batteries in general. We boondock a lot and I would love to have over 1200 watts of solar and two lithium batteries like my camping buddy has on his Monaco Windsor.
Besides limited disposable income the main thing stopping me is a video I saw as part of some recurrent airline training some years back.
I think it was produced by the FAA who put a lithium battery powered laptop on an airline serving cart. IIRC, they overcharged it until it got very hot, began to smoke a little and then burst into flames.
The rest of the video showed them trying to unsuccessfully extinguish the fire using the onboard water extinguishers, coffee pots full of water, chemical extinguishers, blankets, etc. Basically all the resources available on an airliner in flight.
The take away was move all the pax away from the fire and keep trying to cool it off with water soaked and ice covered blankets while declaring an emergency and landing the aircraft ASAP.
I am usually not an early adopter of new technology especially if it may fry me. I try to never say never but in this case I plan on waiting awhile and watch from the sidelines. I'm sure technology will advance sufficiently to solve this problem if it hasn't already.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Besides limited disposable income the main thing stopping me is a video I saw as part of some recurrent airline training some years back.
I think it was produced by the FAA who put a lithium battery powered laptop on an airline serving cart. IIRC, they overcharged it until it got very hot, began to smoke a little and then burst into flames.
Not all lithium batteries are the same. There are many different chemical make ups. While what you state is VERY true for some lithium batteries, it is not for the ones typically used in hybrid cars and RVs.

5 Types of Lithium Ion Batteries
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah banjo View Post
Be aware that if you do go with lithium, you may need to change the settings on your controller. Battle Borne requires 14.4v bulk charge and 13.6v float. No equalization. With my Go-Power controller, which has no Lithium setting, I use the AGM setting and get those outputs.

If you really look into BB’s they are not to exceed 14.4, don’t need or want any float at all. Best to leave them alone until they get down a ways like 40% and then pull them back up to 13.8v or so. That’s better than 90%. Never leave them sitting at full charge. What the brochures say is not really the best way to treat these baby’s, it is drop in marketing hype.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I am a big fan of lithium batteries in general. We boondock a lot and I would love to have over 1200 watts of solar and two lithium batteries like my camping buddy has on his Monaco Windsor.
The rest of the video showed them trying to unsuccessfully extinguish the fire using the onboard water extinguishers, coffee pots full of water, chemical extinguishers, blankets, etc. Basically all the resources available on an airliner in flight.
The take away was move all the pax away from the fire and keep trying to cool it off with water soaked and ice covered blankets while declaring an emergency and landing the aircraft ASAP.
I am usually not an early adopter of new technology especially if it may fry me. I try to never say never but in this case I plan on waiting awhile and watch from the sidelines. I'm sure technology will advance sufficiently to solve this problem if it hasn't already.
As stated different chemistry. Lifepo4 will be the chemistry of drop in style or prismatic cell build your batteries.
Watch this video with extreme torture test...no fires.
https://youtu.be/p21iZVFHEZk
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium