RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Loaning camper

Just curious if anyone has ever loaned their camper to a family member? Our darling daughter asked if she and her husband could borrow our camper one weekend this summer my initial thought is no! We are very meticulous with our camper and I'm not so sure they would be. Anyone ever done this?
Quick edit: the summer before buying the camper we bought a new tent when we purchased the camper we gave them the tent second time they used it it rained for two days they packed up early because of the rain they didn't exactly pack the tent the way it should basically jammed it into its bag and tossed it wet in the garage where it sat for three months until I pulled it out and aired out and return folded it the proper way that's why I'm thinking NO.
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

I have. People, especially my family, are more important to me than things. I figure my daughter cares more about me than the trailer.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars to purchase - and two+ years learning how to drive and operate my rig. I don't see me simply turning it over to anybody because they'd like to use it for a weekend. That goes doubly for my children! I spent years and years and years picking up after them - and know firsthand how they take care of stuff. Ain't gonna happen as long as I'm alive!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

My signature pretty much says it all regarding my travel trailer...
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

If they can't respect your tent, I can only imagine how they will repect your rig. I do have a problem with even the thought of loaning mine out. If they want to take an RV out so bad tell them to rent one. If you decide to go ahead and let them, I would ask for a large deposit and a firm contract the covers damage inside and out. But I think it is a bad idea, especially if they have been disrespectful in the past toward your stuff.

As a grown man with a job and responsibilities I can't even imagine asking my parents for something like that..... but I have a 40 year old sibling who has no problem feeling entitled to anything my parents have. They learned the hard way with her.

RV rental places are designed for people like your daughter and husband.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Absolutely not for the reasons already posted and others that may have yet to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever loaned their camper to a family member? Our darling daughter asked if she and her husband could borrow our camper one weekend this summer my initial thought is no! We are very meticulous with our camper and I'm not so sure they would be. Anyone ever done this?
Quick edit: the summer before buying the camper we bought a new tent when we purchased the camper we gave them the tent second time they used it it rained for two days they packed up early because of the rain they didn't exactly pack the tent the way it should basically jammed it into its bag and tossed it wet in the garage where it sat for three months until I pulled it out and aired out and return folded it the proper way that's why I'm thinking NO.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
I think your post already answered your question, didn't it?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #8

Spent too much getting it the way we want it and there are too many things that can go wrong...Having said that No Way! I don't know how we could give a crash course on everything we do to go and drive it...you can always say Insurance won't allow any other driver except yourself or the rate would go up!

OOPS if it is TT, forget the part about insurance!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #9

You might offer to pay for a rental.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

If my kids or a close friend needed to borrow my truck,,thats fine.If they need a place to sleep,I have extra bedrooms,If they need money for something I will help all I can..But three Personal Items I DO Not loan are my camper,my ranger boat and my Teryx.

Im sorry, but when I get time to use my toys I dont want to find out they were broken when someone borrowed them and neglected to tell me about it.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I've thought about this so I'd be prepared if and when either of my brothers might ask to use the motorhome. I've decided that if they want to be someplace within reasonable driving distance of me then I'll drive the motorhome there and set it up for them, but I'm not going to let them drive it or set it up or pack it up. There are just too many details to take care of and missing any one of them could have very costly consequences.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #12

No. Too much risk for hurt feelings or issues for me. If they want to join us when camping, be our guest. If traveling on own, need own equipment would be my thinking.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

Only reason I posted this is my wife thinks we should let them I still say hello no!
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #14

BTW, most tent companies recommend stuffing not folding a tent. It reduces the repetitive stress.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote