Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Looking at a Travel Trailer

I am looking to upgrade to a more comfortable floor plan and am looking at a 2010 keystone 278 RL.and Was wondering if anyone on here has one or has any input on keystone. Thanks
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

You mean like quality? Most all trailers are made quickly and kicked out the door. There isn't anyone checking quality. The workers are paid by the piece so more speed means more money. I met a guy who had worked the Keystone assembly line for four years and said he'd never buy one. Don't get me started with all the stuff wrong with my trailer that could have easily been taken care of at the factory with some quality oversight.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

I own a 2013 Keystone Vantage 25 RBS. Keystone built the Vantage trailers in 2012 and 2013. Anyway it is an ok trailer. I have had no real problems with it. I like the interior look and feel.

I would buy a Vantage 29 RLS if I find one close and trade the 25 RBS.

But other than the Vantage trailers Keystone builds kinda average trailers. I think you will need to get lucky to get a trailer without any issues.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

We've got a 16 Outback 328RL, other than a loose piece of trim here and there and a led strip on the front not working, we haven't had any major issues. But sometimes it just seems like it depends on what day they rolled out of the factory as to what kind of quality you end up with.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

I had a Keystone Passport 238ml TT for 7 years. Was a great step up from the popup trailer we started with. Just traded it in on the Toy Hauler in my signature last month.

As mentioned above, the RV business is notorious for having a slim to none Quality Control process when sending their trailers to dealers. It doesn't seem to make much difference if it's a $15K or a $90K trailer. If you get up into the 6 digit trailers and motorhomes, I think you get a little better final product upon delivery although I have a friend who ordered a top of the line motorcoach that still had to send back to have things fixed after taking delivery and doing a couple trips in it.

So my point is, pick a trailer you like the floorplan in and the options that come with it. Do a thorough Pre-Delivery-inspection or take someone that knows more about trailers than you do or hire a professional inspector) when you buy. And then understand and make the decision that the little things that you can fix will be your responsibility because it's a pain in the butt to haul it to the dealer to get small stuff fixed. Larger things that crop up during the first year will be the dealers issue to fix (If you are buying new). If you are buying used, it's likely all yours to fix or pay for unless you get some type of extended warranty which can be a ripoff in themselves.

Do regular inspections of your roof, all seams and corners and their sealant and the normal preventative maintenance as prescribed and you'll be okay.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

My old 2004 is in such good condition I decided to keep it. Every thing works great. Honeywell thermostat, never had any leaks and I know I will not have problems with it.Until next time something fails as it always if you use it a lot.LOL
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel