Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #1

Question Looking for 10-15 year old TT for family of six - what manufacturers for short list?

TLDR: What manufacturers and product lines do you recommend (or advise to steer clear of in search of purchasing a 10-15 year old TT?

--

Our family desires to upgrade from our Coleman Pop-Up which we've outgrown. We'd like to buy a 10-15 year old TT. We looked at some new trailers in the 25-30K range and they just seem to be made of cardboard and cheese. Thinking we'd change strategy and look for 10-15 year old higher tier products than brand new low end products. My line of thought is the analogy of buying a well kept 10 year old used BMW 7 series instead of a brand new entry level sedan for about the same money.

From the swath of 10-15 year old products - what manufacturers and specifically what product lines would you recommend to get reasonably the best quality used products?

It's hard to know which way is up. There are like 50 lines in Forest River for example. Searches for best lines just pull up ad after ad and not real data.
https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/our-brands

I told my wife we should try to determine a few upper tier trailer lines and just narrow our used search to those alone and avoid the cheaper tier stuff from 10-15 years ago that probably isn't even actually that much cheaper than the higher end with that much age on them.

We'd like ~7,500lbs or less, a bunk room, (L shaped kid beds are fine, 3 or 4 bunks if possible, slide outs for extra breathing room, 30 foot or less so we can camp National Parks. Other than that we are pretty flexible and have even looked at a few toy haulers as an alternative idea. Kids are aged 5-14. Pretty flexible, just looking for some advice from those more experienced!
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2023, 08:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
10-15 years old will have more to do with how it was stored, used, and maintained. I had a 2001 keystone for 18 years. Kept in garage when not being used, waxed 2 times a year and washed after every trip. All four wheels pulled each fall and hubs greased and brake shoes replaced as needed. Sold it in 2019 for almost the same as I paid for it. Over 100k miles pulled.
I've seen a 3 year old TT left outside under trees with the slides open and awning out that looked very old. If an owner doesn't take pride in how it looks, I'd suspect they didn't do maintenance either.

TL/DR:
I'd select condition over brand name every time.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I would look for a Forest River Aviator Travel Trailer. I think they are cool looking. They are priced all over the place though.

Then I would look at Airstream in your 20 to 30k range takes you back to around late 90s early 2000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_ForestRiver_Aviator.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	388184  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:13 PM   #4

Personally I would look at something like Northwood / Nash, but condition and how it has been stored / maintained are going to be the biggest factor.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:54 AM   #5

It’s a lot easier to detect water intrusion on a stick and tin trailer. On a laminated fiberglass with block foam insulation, it’s harder to detect. Stay away though from laminated fiberglass that has humps, bubbles, waves, or anything else that might indicate delamination. But the big kahuna is the floor. If it’s the least bit soft, run away. Likewise for any indication of rusting chassis or welds. Lance, Northwood, and ORV were all made well 10 years ago.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #6

We think we may go take a look at this unit. It's a 2012 Keystone with 4 bunks, and outdoor kitchen, and tow doors for $18K. Probably a bit on the high priced side for used, but in current market that seems to be the way of things. Anything I should consider for this unit in particular over based on branding or age? The ad has been listed for four weeks, so he probably has it overpriced a little bit.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3433247068093/
Old 04-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #7

I would say any 15 year old travel trailer still kicking around in 2023 is put together pretty well.

Look at the Keystone Vantage trailer that were only built in 2012/2013. They made the 29RL model that had two other sleeping areas than the master bedroom.
But they were the dinning table and a fold out couch. These trailers were built strong. I had a 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS. It came with two 4,400 lb axles and 'E' rated tires. I believe the 2013 29RL also has the 'E' rated tires and 4,400 lb axles.

I like the Aviator better though.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We think we may go take a look at this unit. It's a 2012 Keystone with 4 bunks, and outdoor kitchen, and tow doors for $18K. Probably a bit on the high priced side for used, but in current market that seems to be the way of things. Anything I should consider for this unit in particular over based on branding or age? The ad has been listed for four weeks, so he probably has it overpriced a little bit.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3433247068093/
Wow, that seems way over priced for an 11 year old TT.

I would expect, even in todays market, that would be more about 12 to 14K.

Heck, the generator should account for that much more.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Wow, that seems way over priced for an 11 year old TT.

I would expect, even in todays market, that would be more about 12 to 14K.

Heck, the generator should account for that much more.
It had a soft spot in the floor going into the master bedroom that made a cracking sound when I walked on it. I couldn't tell any issues with the wall or floor elsewhere. I asked the seller about the soft spot and he said it was there when they bought the trailer and hasn't gotten any worse and he wasn't aware of any leaks. It had the underbody protection material and the sides had no damage that I could see. Being that it was close to the counter and sink my wife wondered if it could be that a pot of water fell or something - but I have my doubts a softspot would develop with one spill -- probably more of a leak in a window seal or something right? This had the four season package he said. IF it was only the floor, I could replace that little section -- doesn't seem that big of a deal - - but it's probably rarely just the floor eh? I liked the floor plan a lot on this one. Probably my favorite floor plan we've seen so far.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:59 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Of course you realize, the owner is trying to sell this unit for more than it's probably worth.
Naturally he/she will tell you that it's been that way all along. I'd be very leery with a problem like that.
I realize that you really like the floor plan and it is just what you are looking for, however, if you are willing to do some more shopping and research you might find a very similar or same travel trailer that doesn't have these issues for less money.

Just don't want to see a fellow RV'er end up with serious buyers remorse.

And sure, it could be that a window was leaking or it could end up being something much more serious.

Maybe, at that price, see if you can locate an RV inspector? For the money that it would cost to have an RV inspector take a look at it, it might be pennies when it comes to the cost of a serious repair.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter and husband started out looking for an inexpensive travel trailer for three and quickly gave up. Smelly, dirty, worn-out, and soft floors were the general finds.

Any of the trailers big enough for a family of 6 and under 7500 lb. will be built cheap and not hold up well. As for 4 seasons, just adding an Arctic or Polar pack does not make it a 4-season trailer.

If you have older kids, why not take a tent for the older kids to sleep in? Our one daughter, loved to take a friend and they liked staying in the tent next to the trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #12

RVs and cars are very different. For what you get in a new RV, they are a screaming bargain. That comes from ruthless cost cutting, so the build quality for the long term is sorely lacking. I joke that they are designed to last as long as the payments, 5 years.There is a great deal of truth to that.

All trailers leak. And worse, they can't dry out. The interior walls are covered in vinyl, the floors with lino, trapping the moisture. Trapped moisture rots wood.

My neighbour teased me, asking if I was building a submarine as I redid the sealing on our trailer. Yet read my post: Oh,Oh Dear,Soft Floor. particularly John's great reply.

Having said all that, we call our trailer Backroads Trailer #3,it's our third one. We have very frequently camped at what could be considered the filming sites of the Go RVing tv adds. Access can be difficult. But the family memories are likely my greatest heirloom. It worth the spring rebuilds.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:53 PM   #13

OP did not reveal his TV, which of course makes all the difference in the world. If he has a 3/4 ton he’s golden, as that opens up many more possibilities. With a 3/4 ton you can buy a toy hauler up to 30ft, or even a toy hauler 5er. Toy haulers sleep more people because of the drop down bunks in the garage. Additionally, it’s easier to find a good quality used toy hauler at a reasonable price because they turn over faster than regular TTs. Start looking for repos. Toy hauler owners sometimes get in over their heads by financing the trailer, truck and the ORVs. Look for an 8-10 year old priced at 50% or less of a new one.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #14

The bunk room on this 2013 Skyline Nomad Joey #310 TT is really nice for my four kids as they get older they could each have their own bed and some room to breath in the shared bedroom.

I see a bubble around the bottom of one of the windows in the pictures. Does this spell big problems beyond what you can see? Like "you aren't interested" problems?

I assume wood underneath the fiberglass would have swelled to make this look that way? Or could this be a fixed localized wall problem that wouldn't get any worse assuming it was fixed properly?

Thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh