Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Looking for 7' wide trailer options

We currently have a 2010 Travel Lite Idea i15, which has been a great little trailer for the last 5 years -- except we're outgrowing it. And are now looking for something new. We do have some specific wants/needs that are really limiting our search. I've done what I feel is an exhaustive online search (with a detailed spreadsheet to match). But I'm wondering if there are any options I've missed. Or any thoughts between our top contenders.

Here are our ranked wants/needs:
  1. Trailer width no more than 85" - this is completely non-negotiable due to the limits of our side yard storage
  2. Single axle - also non-negotiable because of storage limitations. We must be able to use our Trailer Valet to back it into our side yard
  3. Room to sleep at least 3 people - The Idea i15 only sleeps 2, but we have our daughter (who is now 7) sleeping on the dinette bed with us. And we pretty much never use the dinette because it's too much of a pain to convert it back and forth each day. It's possible (though not likely) we may have another child, so room for 4 would be great. Ideally we'd like one with bunks and a queen and a dinette, but can be flexible as long as there's a dedicated queen and room to sleep 1-2 kids.
  4. 2 door fridge - we currently have a 3 cu ft fridge, and we constantly long for bigger -- especially more freezer space
  5. Ideally with an oven (this is a want, not a need)
  6. Ideally with a slideout to make it roomier when in use (don't really care what's in the slideout), but this can be lived without
  7. No wet bath (not exactly a need, but I hate wet baths)
  8. Ideally with a bathroom sink (also a want that's easily expendable)

From my search I have narrowed it down to a few likely options. None hit all of our marks, but these are as close as it seems to get (though please let me know if I missed something!). Anyone have thoughts on any of these brands compared to the other?
  • Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS / 16 PF / 16 FQ / 15SW / 17BH /17JG / 18TO
  • Pacific Coachworks Pacifica 16BH
  • Pacific Coachworks Mighty Lite 16RB
  • Pacific Coachworks SeaBreeze 16BB
  • Lance 1575 (is this one worth 2x the cost of the others?)
dani80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Have a Lance 2285, way bigger than you want.
In my opinion, YES, Lance is worth the extra $$$$$.
3 years now & about 14,000 miles towed.
Only issue I had was an awning problem that was fixed under warranty.
Just returned from 3,000 miles trip over 3 weeks, No problems at all...
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #3

I think the only solution is to build one or have it custom made. Most trailers that I've seen are either 8' (96") or 8' 6" (102") wide with precious little else being offered. You may be able to have a trailer manufacturer make you an enclosed trailer to your specified dimensions and then have someone finish the inside for you or do it yourself. Other than that you're probably out of luck, but best of luck to you.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Jayco has a line of 7' wide models - Jay Flight SLX 7. As with some of the others listed there will be compromises to consider. The 184BS has bunks plus a slide-out dinette. We had a 195RB for almost 5 years - put about 25K miles on it. Held up pretty well and was fairly reliable.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

Winnebago makes the Mini-Drop. These are 7' wide with a slide.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #6

Wow, if they still made these...maybe find a lightly used one?
https://media.rvusa.com/library/TakenaFlyer.pdf

This gets close, but no two-door fridge...
https://palominorv.com/travel-traile...ini/177BH/2541
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Well, there is at least one available that I know of:

2013 Takena 2265-EX
Old 10-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Well, there is at least one available that I know of:

2013 Takena 2265-EX
Well done! Appears to be a very impressive little camper. Note the residential hidden hinges, plywood drawers?, very nice, several "a step above" touches.

I imagine it was too good for it's own good in a market where bigger is supposedly better. That one might be worth a road trip for our OP assuming it passes a certified RV tech's inspection. Seems to check all the boxes!
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Well done! Appears to be a very impressive little camper. Note the residential hidden hinges, plywood drawers?, very nice, several "a step above" touches.

I imagine it was too good for it's own good in a market where bigger is supposedly better. That one might be worth a road trip for our OP assuming it passes a certified RV tech's inspection. Seems to check all the boxes!
These were top of our list when we were looking for a small camper back in 2013. I heard over that winter the factory roof collapsed and then later on the company was sold. It seems like they never got back in the game except for the A-Frames, which still appear to be doing OK. A couple of years ago they had a new trailer and truck camper model listed as a "future products" but that disappeared from the web site a while back so it seems like it's still just the A-Frames.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Jayco has a line of 7' wide models - Jay Flight SLX 7. As with some of the others listed there will be compromises to consider. The 184BS has bunks plus a slide-out dinette. We had a 195RB for almost 5 years - put about 25K miles on it. Held up pretty well and was fairly reliable.
Yes, I have looked at that one as well as several others that are 7’ wide (or a little less in a few instances). But the dealbreaker for the Jayco was that none had a fridge bigger than 3 cu ft (at least that I could find).

Others I considered, which met the width and single axle requirement, but at this point have been ruled out for one reason or another (some just because I can’t find them anywhere within a reasonable distance):
  • Starcraft Satellite
  • Winnebago Micro Minnie
  • Casita Spirit
  • Alto
  • Coachmen Catalina Summit
  • A few other Pacific Coachworks models - Surf Side Mini, Tango, Panther Mini, Econ
  • Palomino Palomini
  • Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite
  • Gulf Stream Capri
  • Gulf Stream Innsbruck
  • Liberty Outdoors Little Guy Camp Rover
Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #11

Quote:

This gets close, but no two-door fridge...
https://palominorv.com/travel-traile...ini/177BH/2541
The Takena Flyer is close... but dual axle! We wouldn’t be able to get it on the side of our house, unfortunately. :(

I also looked at the Palomini, but the small fridge knocked it out.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:18 AM   #12

Rockwood Geo-Pro maybe? Or flagstaff version...same trailer
Sky1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:36 AM   #13

Bunks for kids may or may not work. I have a friend that bought a Winnebago Micro Mini and their 8 year old Grandson prefers to sleep on the dinette vs the small bunk.
He says the bunk is too confining.

Oh, StarCraft use to make a small AR-One.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1926 View Post
Rockwood Geo-Pro maybe? Or flagstaff version...same trailer
The GEO Pro and Flagstaff e-Pro are both 7’4”, which I don’t think will make the cut. Our lot is a bit wedge shaped, and there’s this one spot in our driveway where the eave of the garage limits us severely. We already had to take the rain gutter off that short section in order to fit the Idea. And we use the Trailer Valet to negotiate it past that point. We could get away way 85” vs. the Idea’s 84”, but unless that extra 4” on the GEO Pro was somehow on the back side, I think it would give my husband too many gray hairs.

Tags
trailer