Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

Looking for a rear-dinette with BIG windows

We are looking for a new camper, after years of happy camping in a popup. We would use it mostly for wintering in the South, probably Florida for the most part.

My requirements are very specific, and I seem to have a tough time finding a camper that meets them all:

1. Large, comfortable rear wraparound dinette with BIG windows on ALL sides. I want it to feel like I'm in a breezy screen porch. I could consider the same setup but with the dinette in the front.

2. Roomy bathroom. A full-size toilet, lots of legroom, and a usable shower.

3. Around the 25' range.

4. Sleep 3-4. Don't need bunks, just an extra bed somewhere.

5. An attractive, simple, modern interior design would be nice.

6. Slide-out is nice, but not necessary. And usually that is where they put the dinette, which is not where I want it.

What I want to avoid:

1. No redundant furniture. I don't want a dinette, plus a sofa, plus recliners or "theatre seating". I want one big comfy dinette. Maybe a side chair or two we could pull up to the dinette for extra seating. If we have friends visiting, we would all sit together, not spread around in different seating areas.

2. No wasted space. For instance, we don't need 2 sinks in the bathroom. Or big wardrobe closets. Or an entertainment center.

3. No extra junk. No "fireplace". No big-screen TV. A 2-burner stove would be enough. A small oven would be nice. The less electronic or electrical equipment the better.

The Airstream is almost perfect, especially the one with the opening rear hatch. The bathroom is probably the deal breaker. The toilet is almost unusable to me because of my size (6'3", 250 lb, size 52 jacket) and the fact that I'm not as flexible as I once was. The shower was pretty cramped, too, but I could probably make it work.

It gets exhausting looking at hundreds of floor plans that all look essentially the same, and not one that meets our needs yet. I almost wish I could buy a camper with all the mechanical and structural stuff complete, but with the interior empty so I could design it myself.

Does our perfect camper exist? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

David
db4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #2

WOW, all that in 25ft? Tall order.
We also like rear dinette floorplans with large windows mostly because we are often backed into a space facing a nice view, which can’t be enjoyed with many floorplans. We’re thinking of getting an ORV 25RDS. Owners speak highly of ORV build quality.
https://youtu.be/2CjmtWwdE5g
Old 11-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #3

Love my ORV with rear dinette. It's what sold us on it. Unfortunately most of their longer models have the dinette in a slideout. They do have a Backcountry 20BD that is about 25' total length that is similar to ours. Most of their models are a little heavier than other brands so you have to look at what your tow vehicle is capable of handling.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #4

Outdoors RV 25 RDS
https://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/3d-tou...ries-tr-25rds/
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #5

I Googled travel trailers with a rear dinette and got lots of hits. With the rear dinette, as you know, that makes a good sleeping area. All the ones I saw had the big rear window. You know has you tow this type of travel trailer the back window will get dirty.
pinterest had quick examples.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
WOW, all that in 25ft? Tall order.
https://youtu.be/2CjmtWwdE5g
Actually, I think I'm not asking for much. A rear dinette and a usable bathroom.

The Outdoors RV 25 RDS is one of the ones I looked at on line. I don't care for it. I don't like the separate couch off to the side, and the general decor style. And I want wraparound, or at least larger, seating. More like like this:

This one is actually pretty close to what I am thinking, and in a 22 ft package. It could be bigger. I like the seating layout, but it doesn't look very comfortable for lounging. I would like higher seat backs, and tilted at a comfortable angle.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:37 AM   #7

I agree, "all that in a 25 foot trailer?". You'll find you are looking for a unicorn.
I have been looking at a bunch of trailers the last few weeks and it's slim pickins' under 30 foot for some of what you want. You may want to buy used and remodel for what you do not like.
Best of luck and if you find something hope you'll report back.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:29 AM   #8

Any Airstream with a hatch doesn't have a wrap-around dinette, just seating on either side.

The 27 and 25 ft models have a wraparound dinette, the 28 ft has a dinette and a couch. All have smaller, separated bathrooms. The 23" doesn't have the wraparound dinette but a much larger bathroom (all one room) and no wasted space (IMO) but will be tight with 4 adults.

When talking Airstreams, keep in mind the 23' is 8' wide, and the 25's and up are 8 1/2' wide. That extra 6" makes a huge difference.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #9

ORV 20BD. Rear u-dinette, almost 7’ ceiling height, a shower that your head is not poking into skylight, 60x80 queen bed, no slides, no wasted space. 21’ floor. Bathroom has plenty of room (I’m 6’1”).
We downsized from a 30’ tt to the ORV, and don’t feel cramped at all. Quite a bit of room for a smallish tt
Jeepcjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Any Airstream with a hatch doesn't have a wrap-around dinette, just seating on either side.

The 27 and 25 ft models have a wraparound dinette, the 28 ft has a dinette and a couch. All have smaller, separated bathrooms. The 23" doesn't have the wraparound dinette but a much larger bathroom (all one room) and no wasted space (IMO) but will be tight with 4 adults.

When talking Airstreams, keep in mind the 23' is 8' wide, and the 25's and up are 8 1/2' wide. That extra 6" makes a huge difference.
You know your Airstreams, Propchef.

I need to spend more time in the 25FB and see how cramped the bathroom really is.

We have really ruled out any side dinette layout, because the view from the bench seat is always to the other side of the kitchen, not out the windows.

I think I have looked at every camper out there, and still haven't found one that works. I am seriously considering looking into having a custom one built.

It is truly amazing that every manufacturer, with the exception of just a few specialty brands, basically repeats the exact same layouts.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepcjguy View Post
ORV 20BD. Rear u-dinette, almost 7’ ceiling height, a shower that your head is not poking into skylight, 60x80 queen bed, no slides, no wasted space. 21’ floor. Bathroom has plenty of room (I’m 6’1”).
We downsized from a 30’ tt to the ORV, and don’t feel cramped at all. Quite a bit of room for a smallish tt
This actually looks pretty close to what I have in mind. That toilet looks pretty cramped, though. How is it in the real world? I mean, I'm a big guy. Like XXL-Tall size. I have real trouble fitting in most cars and trucks.

The interior decor and exterior graphics aren't my style, but maybe I could get used to it.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
This actually looks pretty close to what I have in mind. That toilet looks pretty cramped, though. How is it in the real world? I mean, I'm a big guy. Like XXL-Tall size. I have real trouble fitting in most cars and trucks.

The interior decor and exterior graphics aren't my style, but maybe I could get used to it.

The toilet sits at a slight angle towards the door, but it’s not that noticeable. We just rotate slightly on the seat. I don’t think being tall would be an issue, as I said, I’m 6’1”. There is plenty of room between the toilet and tub. Most of the trailers we looked at, when I stood in the shower my head was up in the skylight a bit. Not the case with this one, there is plenty of headroom. Though the bathroom is not the ideal size, it’s a trade-off that I am happy with, especially in a trailer that size.
Inside height was listed at 6‘11“ down the center. I have not actually measured it, but I would say there’s at least 8 inches of space above my head.
The dinette converts to a bed, and I am able to stretch out on it. My daughter met us for one trip and slept on it. She said it felt fine.
The rear picture window is amazing, though I do wish the sliding windows that open on it, were larger.
The bedroom has a full queen bed, not one of the RV queens that your feet hang off of. That was another big deal for us. Again, most of the small trailers have small features.
On top of all that, it also has 100 gallon fresh water tank, factory solar, and another big one for us was the onboard generator (no more lugging a generator in and out of a truck&#128513.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post

I remember reading not to long ago about a guy that used a heat gun to remove all of the exterior graphics on his trailer when it was new! He said he would rather take them off than to have them weather and curl and peel in time, since they removed much easier when they were new.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #14

Our previous 20FQ from ORV might fit your specs. They still make the same floorplan in a couple of models. One caution: that size gets really small after the second week. For wintering, it gets dark at 5:00 and that leads to long hours inside. We had to replace the foam in the dinette cushions so our tender butts wouldn't get sore. Interestingly our AF is a couple of inches shorter bumper to bumper than we were with the 20FQ and way more livable for extended trips. Both rigs had good toilet room and the seat height is higher than many other brands. The shower was a bit narrow in the 20FQ but a curved curtain rod solved that problem. Good luck with your search.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear, wind, window