Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthinkers View Post
Unfortunately, it seems they've worked hard to earn that perception. I read a lot on various blogs and forums before making our first visit to a big, local dealership, and wasn't convinced it could be that bad. I was armed with a list of questions, none of them technical (or even difficult; things like "where does the slide come to when it's closed," "is this rig set up to have a washer/dryer" and "how big is the fresh water tank"), and the salespeople were unable to answer the questions. One lady told us, "I just started working here, so I don't know anything about the motorhomes I'm going to show you."

And she was right. She didn't. Literally had zero training.
I have found this to be true, although I have met a couple of sales people who are still RVing after a few decades and give a lot of good information (doubled checked of course).
Rondibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
This would be a road trip for, but maybe worth a look. North Charleston S.C. is the home of family owned "The Trail Center", but they don't have Grand Design.
https://www.trailcenter.com/

We rented from them one year for a beach trip. It's hard to find a dealer who will rent, but they did, and it was an amazingly good experience. The PDI/demo on the rental which was a popup was the most detailed and friendly I've ever seen.

I'm sure the rental program is used to draw customers to new units. Owner made sure to say hello and thank us for the business. Well stocked parts and accessories area, service department well organized, and tool chests were in impressive condition. (I always look for that).

Anyhow, the point of the story is, there are very few businesses that leave me with the feeling that I would enjoy spending money with them, again. This was one, it was several years ago, it stuck with me, and if I were in the market, they would be the first place I'd look and they are a days drive from me.

Just looked at the staff page, same service manager, owner, old school building, etc. and that's been about 10 years since I rented from them.

Here's and organization of independent RV dealers with a fairly high threshold of standards to be a member. Trail Center is one, check out the service department videos. Anyhow, there is a Grand Design dealer in Ft. Myers who is also a member of Route 66, Palm RV, I would guess they'd be worth a look.
ROUTE 66 RV Network | Dealers in Florida
Thank you so much!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
NO such thing !
Jay D.
:-)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Hello Rondibell - A sad but truth situation be told here. But it sounds like you have "zeroed in" on the Grand Design. Let me make a couple of suggestions.
1. Go to the manufactures web site and download all available literature on the unit. Carefully read through it. You will gain answers to a lot of questions.
2. Any unanswered question, call their customer service. By the way, this would be a good time to tell them about the lack of information that these "so called salesman" you have dealed with.
3. Now armed with everything you can "Go to War" (i.e. shopping) for the best deal in your area.
Best Regards,
Dutch Master
Hi Dutch Master:

So true! We have learned a lot through this process and so I definitely know what I don't want. :-) I looked at a Sunset Trail the other day. All of the reviews I could find were really positive and I thought the quality was about the same as Grand Design, so we may consider that make as well. Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
There are no honest dealerships. You have to be your own advocate.
Shoot for 80% of MSRP on a new unit. Insist on NEW batteries. Get all repairs or adjustments done BEFORE you hand over final payment. Don’t expect them to honor verbal agreements, get everything in writing.
Keep in mind, their goal is to separate you from your money. After they achieve that goal, you are no longer important to them.
Thank you, JMynes,

Very good advice on the batteries and Summit Pond mentioned the date on the tires as well. I would not have even considered these things, so new info! I understand the "new" models come out in the Spring/Summer so I guess if they are sitting around for a year, the batteries would be flat and the tires not the best. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
We bought our first TT at Camping World on I-95 north in Jax. The salesman quit within the month, and we really weren't happy with service - everything seemed to be a challenge to get done and they always wanted to upsell. Our second TT was purchased at TravelCamp on Beach Blvd in Jax. So far, very happy. I was pleased with what was offered for our trade. I asked for a group 27 (versus 24) battery and to have tires with a newer manufacture date. Both were done without extra cost or added grief. No pressure during closing to purchase their extended warranty. The PDI was also much more thorough than the one at CW; again, no grief as we went over everything with a fine-toothed comb. We had to have a screen replaced (it was discovered bent and wouldn't seal during the PDI); Winnebago seemed to be the hold-up on a timely replacement, but they (dealer) came through eventually. We dealt with Paul Cox as the salesman. Good luck in your search.
Hi Summit Pond,
We also went to Travel Camp and actually really liked the salesman. He was very knowledgeable (He has a lot of RV experience), although we didn't really find what we were looking for. I appreciate your information on checking the batteries and tires, it's not something I would have thought about. Thank you for the info!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #21

We have purchased twice from General, once in Jax and once in Tampa. Had issues both times, but the dealer stepped up and got it right both occasions. I would use them again. YMMV
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:49 AM   #22

Looking for honest reputable RV dealer in North Florida

If you’re pretty much set on Grand Design and you’re willing to take a drive to go and get it, Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA gets really good reviews. We didn’t buy from them, but did go there when we were looking. It was very low pressure and everyone was very knowledgeable. They even tossed us the keys to a golf cart so we could cruise the lot on our own and look around at our pace.

www.northgaterv.com
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I've bought two RVs from Rick Baker's in Green Cove Springs. Small place, limited stock, but friendly folks who ARE willing to help you after the sale.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #24

Thank you, Redhooker. That's good to know.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #25

Thank you, Spurticus, we'll check them out!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:08 AM   #26

Hi Podivin,

I've been to their lot, very nice, unfortunately, they didn't have anything light enough for us, although I looked at the Sunset Trail. It was the first I had heard of it and I really liked it, but still a little to heavy. I agree, they were very courteous and helpful. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #27

I bought my TT at Giant Recreation World In Ormond Beach.
They made the buying process painless and when I took it back in for warranty they had it back to me in a couple of days.
JKinFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #28

Just going to add although we purchased twice at General we have shopped Giant in Ormond and currently get most of our service done there. Service dept is pretty good-and as an above average RV hobbyist to say that actually puts them above most others. They have actually been relatively fast doing repairs and seem to run smoothly. Staff has turned over very little if at all as well.

They do not carry Grand Design so I did not mention them earlier. We have a Thunderbolt we bought used and they are a dealer for those so it is a good fit for service issues.

Also, I will say that the most important part of shopping-especially when shopping pre owned no warranty units-is being an informed buyer. We definitely know more about the trailers we look at than any salesman we have ever met. This allows us to simply find the best deal on the best trailer for us. That may be why we had no trouble buying from General. When shopping or even looking around at shows and the like, I generally have to correct the salesperson or even let them know what they are saying is not true. I often have to explain to them what the features are and how they work on their products. Almost every time. I could see where someone depending on the info given to them from the sales department to be accurate often finds themselves disappointed. I wish there was a better way but it seems no true “RV enthusiasts” like most of us are actually working at RV dealerships. Sad.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, florida