Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Looking for our first travel trailer

Wow, there are so many choices out there but to some extent our choices have been narrowed down since we can haul around 7000 at the most. We are looking for a lightweight, efficient trailer with some room to move around in it. So far we have found a few that are very interesting. One is the everlite trailer and the other is the sunset brand. We aren't looking for bunks just something that would be enjoyable to travel in a lot. One thing we wonder is if dual pane windows are offered in other light trailers as they are offered in the Everlite. This seems like a good idea but I don't know how efficient they are compared to regular trailer windows. So that is my next quest.... not sure how much info is out there about window efficiency for trailers. Have to go.
csampsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Welcome to the irv2.com forums!
I agree, there is an overwhelming number of makes and models of travel trailers from which to choose. Allow me to first make a statement. Do not use any trailer weight figure other than the trailer GVW when making a choice! This insures you will not buy more trailer than your tow vehicle will safely and comfortably handle. Salespersons often dispute this statement in order to sell larger trailers, which of course cost more.
It's been many years since I owned a travel trailer so I cannot speak to any brand. Dual-pane windows do a much better job of insulating your trailer from both suns heat and winter cold. They also add considerable weight to the trailer vs standard windows. This directly affects the trailer carrying capacity, which is actual unloaded trailer weight subtracted from the GVW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #3

Windows and weight, especially, are important for sure. That being said, I would like to toss out a few thoughts to someone buying their first travel trailer, if I may. Maybe my comments will be of value....maybe not.

Had several travel trailers in the past...learned from each one what to look for and what to avoid on the next one. Suggest you keep 3 VERY important things in mind....floor plan, counter space and, most importantly, build quality. You have to really love the floor plan, especially on rainy days. And one can never have too much counter space...something not all builders seem to understand. And build quality....THE most important item to consider IMHO.

Don't just look at the shiny cabinet doors....look inside and see how they are manufactured, what materials are used and how they are attached to the unit. Look underneath the nice cushions and observe how the seats, dinette frames and storage areas are constructed and attached. Look underneath the sinks and observe how the lines are run and how they are attached. Look for quality EVERYWHERE....and do the same for cheapness and shortcuts. Real build quality is not just on the surface...it is much more apparent AND important inside and underneath the pretty surfaces. Observe what brand of appliances, heaters and other internal systems are onboard. Notice what brand of toilet, faucets and shower fixtures are installed. Note what brand and size tires are mounted. Look underneath the trailer for signs of sloppy assembly and shortcuts. Note the quality of hardware and fasterners, outside as well as inside. One could go on and on....but you get my drift. Once you have settled on one or two trailers, you might want to search this forum for posts that owners of these trailers have shared with us.

And don't be afraid of paying a few dollars more for a noticeably better travel trailer. You will be miles and dollars ahead of the game. IMHO, too many people buy new RV's based upon lowest price...and that's about all that they get. Buy quality AND value...not just price. Good luck, and PLEASE let us know how you make out....thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I have been looking into buying a travel trailer. I am new to camping and have many friends who own (25 to 38 foot TT) which are way to big for me.

I am looking into something more economical to stay a few nights on the campground with my 2 boys (ages 10 and 12).

I was thinking about a Jayco product. A smaller unit 18BH. I like the layout and seems affordable.

I can't go much bigger due to storage space. Anyone here ever owned a Jayco product?

Has anyone purchased a TT at any of these Camping Expos? I may attend one in Atlantic City NJ in November?

Thank you
Atr786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
GPW

What Heap said !!! And make Darn sure it’s got a Good roof !!!! Be forewarned that one little leak will spoil all that good stuff you searched for inside ...

ATR, I have a 20’ Jayco FS... Nice layout , pretty , requires constant inspection/maintenance for little things poorly done, and cheap materials used ... and that roof/window caulking ... Dealer maintenance is Prohibitively EXPENSIVE ... For just you and the boys , you might consider something more practical and economical , like a Cargo trailer conversion ... Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View Forum - Cargo Trailer Conversions
You can multitask with it , as storage in the off season , or even common hauling of goods ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Thanks for your advice. I was at a Jayco dealer today. They were expensive, so I will shop around. I did see the teardrops. I haven't seen any in person, I thought they may be too small. Thanks again.
Atr786 is offline   Reply With Quote