Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Looking to Purchase Bunkhouse Travel Trailer, asking advice

Hello everyone. I am excited to be joining the RV community. My wife and I have rented a bunkhouse travel trailer in the past, to make sure our 4 and 6 year old would love camping... in which they did!! That being said we are ready to purchase a travel trailer. We have been looking at the 2020 Keystone Half Ton 34TSB. We really love the design and layout of the camper. I also get told to buy Jayco instead if you can. I thought both brands were owned by Thor Industries. The Jayco BHOK is nice as well but a little more out of our price range. If anyone has advice on buying a new camper please feel free to share it with us. I dont want to spend almost 35k and have a camper with major issues with build quality. Any other good brands that build good quality bunkhouses?
Thank you all again for any advice given.
RVThereYet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and the RV lifestyle!

Our family has no experience with Keystone, but did own a 2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH that we loved and towed more than 40,000 miles. The layout and storage were well-designed, and the trailer held up well for the more than 10 years we used it. That was prior to Thor's acquisition of Jayco so, honestly, I'm not sure how much my opinion is worth at this point.

One suggestion I did want to share with you . . . Give some thought to the size of the bunks and the storage around them. Your little tykes won't stay little for long, so be sure they won't outgrow their bunk space during the years you plan to use the trailer. Our Jayco had a narrow top bunk and a full bottom bunk. We started out with our older child on the top bunk for safety reasons but, eventually, he outgrew that bunk as he moved into his teen years. Luckily, by that time, our daughter was old enough to use the top bunk safely.
Since she has a petite build, she never outgrew the smaller bunk. But, if both of our kids took after my husband in size, it would have become very uncomfortable for one of them at some point - something we hadn't thought of. Also, having storage space near the bunks for not only clothes but their personal possessions, as well, will go a long way toward keeping the living area of your rig clutter-free. Well, mostly clutter-free.

Good luck with your decision, and best wishes for many years of happy family camping ahead! Buying that first trailer was one of the best decisions we've ever made.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #3

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Buying a TT is a crap shoot. You never know what you are going to get.
You can change your odds of getting a good one by choosing a better brand. A cheap TT is not always the cheapest one to own.

Quality Travel Trailer Brands
Winter of 2018 I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
In 2018 I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 5? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
Oliver is a company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.

Easier to tow:
Air Stream, Oliver, and Escape are streamlined shaped trailers of high quality that are true cold and hot weather campers. They are easier to tow. They are heavier than many light weights and cost a lot. However, you get a lot more.
There are others that have curved leading and trailing roof edges. These also tow a little easier (see Forest River Rpod as an example). I have no first hand reviews of most other trailers.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #4

I am currently pulling a 2014 Zinger BH made by Thor. I think they have gone out of business and came back in since we bought it new. Not knowing anything about anything when we bought, what sold me was the storage under the port side lower bunk. The access is from out side where some models put an outdoor kitchen. On the opposite side is a dinette for the kids. it also converts to another bunk for a total of 4 beds. I haven't had any problems with the unit that I wouldn't expect from other brands. I feel I made a good purchase from Camping World. But, I have since found another source service.
A Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #5

We ended up purchasing a 2020 Primetime Tracer 22MBK to be able to take two grand kids (7 & 9) with us. The bunks are quite large and would fit an average sized adult. We specifically wanted a Murphy bed and after two trips we're thrilled with it and the bunks worked well for a week long trip. It's an extended season model with an outside kitchen and shower. We tow with a 2000 crew cab F-250 4x4.

As soon as the stag at home order is lifted, we're heading out.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

Buy a 2-4 year old SMALLER (under 30') trailer to start with. Sure it will be missing some of the bells and whistles you want, but you will know if the family really likes it AND if your lifestyle allows good usage.

After a couple of years of usage, then upgrade.

BTW, the Keystone "Half Ton" 34TSB has a gross weight of almost 11,000 lbs ! To pull it comfortably, you will need a 3/4 ton pickup.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter and her husband went through this last year. Very disappointed with Thor and Forest River offerings. They finally wound up with a Winnebago Minnie Plus and have been happy with it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #8

We rented a bunkhouse travel trailer first and the kids loved it. I have a f250 diesel so towing it isn’t an issue. We were looking at the cougar 34tsb 2020
RVThereYet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bunkhouse, purchase, trailer, travel, travel trailer